Triads Lesson

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Eddie 70, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

I came across this lesson the other day and found it to be very interesting. I had been moving the D shape up the neck for sometime but I had no idea it was called a triad. Anyway, some good information here for newer players like me. Enjoy!!

Stoli likes this.
  2. Stoli

Stoli Senior Member

Those are pretty cool and I see them sometimes in tabs or chord diagrams for songs along with the minor chords and then little variations with another finger that make yet another chord. At least in the transcriptions that I have seen that come to mind off hand, parts of Stairway to Heaven and One of These Nights by the Eagles use some of these shapes.

I have noticed that if you look up chords or tabs for songs online that often times they show you open chords but if you can find a version played live the performer is some other place on the neck and often times I think they are playing the triads or variants similar to what Justin is playing here.

As I understand it a triad is the 1st, 3rd, and 5th, notes of a given scale and if you play that you have a major chord, if you flatten the 3rd then you have a minor chord, and then you can add other notes or sharp or flat other notes and you get other chords (I think you are probably playing jazz then).:)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Eddie 70 likes this.
  3. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Thats good stuff to know,, inspired me to crack open an old book & get refreshed with open triad voicings.
    thanks for posting!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Eddie 70 likes this.
  4. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

Thanks for that, this will be good homework for the next few days.

5. Stoli

Stoli Senior Member

It is amazing how much material that Justin has on his website between song lessons, technique, theory, music genres, etc. I seem to find something that I never knew was there just about every time I go to his website or Google something and hits pop up on a topic from him that I am looking for. He cannot fix something you are doing wrong be he generally gives you a good starting point on most any topic that I am delving into. My employer will cover the cost of a class each semester at the local community college so I have enrolled in guitar class a couple of times and I often look up Justin's take on things that we have covered as it tends to reinforce the material or maybe he explains things slightly different and sometimes that can help you put the peices together.

I imagine advanced players already know most of the things that he discusses but for slower folks like me it is most helpful.

Eddie 70 likes this.
  6. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

That is one thing I like about Justin. He gets down there to my level like with this lesson.

Are you still taking classes at Pellisippi State? I would be you have advanced quite a bit since we started talking. I am probably not much further along than I was. Same teacher? If you don't mind me asking, how much are the classes? You can PM me.

7. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

If nothing else, it will help you work on the notes on the 2nd and 3rd strings. That is what I have been doing. Working those out using the 3 triad shapes he shows in the beginning. Saving those last 3 till I get a good grip on the first 3.

NewDayHappy likes this.
  8. Stoli

Stoli Senior Member

Eddie-Sent you a PM on the classes. I just try to get a little better each day.

Eddie 70 likes this.
  9. RockyMtnGuitars

RockyMtnGuitars Member

JustinGuitar changed my playing. Like some of you noted, he gets down to basics (or warns you when it's going to be advanced). I am not a trained musician so the theory makes little sense, but he give practical info. I'd struggled with regular lessons but did great with his beginner course.

Anyway, thanks for this link - triads are something on my To Do list so this inspires me to jump into the lesson and hack this out!

Eddie 70 likes this.