Transparent Boost Pedal Recommendations

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Jack S., Jul 5, 2017.

1. Jack S.

Jack S. Senior Member

I'm looking for a boost pedal for my pedalboard that won't add distortion, but will just make my guitar louder for solos. I was thinking the Xotic RC Booster might be the way to go. I'm looking for something with a lot of gain. Please let me know if you have anything else you'd recommend, or if you think the Xotic pedal isn't what I'm looking for.

2. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter Premium Member

This isn't the cheapest but, I have been using it live for over three years now and it works flawlessly:

https://www.suhr.com/electronics/pedals/boost/suhr-koko-boost/

I like to put it through an FX loop and use the clean boost side as a solo boost. If I don't need a solo boost function, I run it through the amp's front end and use the mid boost as a way to fatten leads and take them over the top. I also use it as the last device on my pedal board to serve as a buffer for longer cables. This has plenty of gain, even in the transparent boost mode.

It will run true bypass or buffered and can be remotely controlled as well. It is a very well thought out unit that sounds great.

bulletproof and RAG7890 like this.
  3. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

I'll just give nod to the TC Sparkboost. Been using it for some time.
    I like the dual function switch on it that works either as momentary or latch depending on how you use it.
    I think it's 20dBs of gain....

penguinchit likes this.
  4. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Big fan of the Xotic stuff. I've got a Custom Shop BB Pre, EP booster and SP compressor.

The BB Pre is the most transparent and versatile, with an ever so slight mid hump. It's as good a Preamp pedal as I've heard.

The EP adds some body to the signal, and is addictively fun for a boost.

and the SP... is a compressor.

pillbug and bulletproof like this.
  5. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

What you're describing will really only work if you're running the boost pedal after overdrive/distortion - running it before then will give you only more gain. If that's what you're going to do and you want a LOT or boost available, the Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso (I know, right? :laugh2:) has nearly 35dB of clean, neutral boost available which is more than you'll probably every need. That said, you might consider an EQ pedal or something else that at least has some sort of tone control(s) so you can tailor your lead tone - a nice punch in the high mids can help you cut through without having to raise overall volume as much.

Back to my first sentence... If you're planning on running this pedal before overdrive/distortion, then all this type of pedal is going to do is create more overdrive/distortion. For that scenario, I recommend a treble booster which, while it's not going to give you much of a volume boost, it'll definitely help cut through. My favorite is the Analogman Beano Boost but there are other good ones out there including the Catalinbread Naga Viper which is pretty flexible.

If you're running clean without overdrive/distortion, ignore my pontificating but I still recommend the Super Chili Picoso. :D

6. Shoopdude

Shoopdude Member

I use an Alexander Litho Boost after my overdrive pedal.
    It does exactly what your describing you want.

7. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Rich likes this.
  8. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Absolutely love the Xotic RC....as well as the AC AND the EP. If you are looking for a boost with a heap of gain(sort of,its really not that high gain,but,it does throw some grease on the fire) and go the Xotic route,then the AC is the one.

9. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

That's a great pedal. I have an older version (wedge shaped) and while I never really was able to get a Strat with single coils to sound like it had humbuckers, just using the the neutral setting is worth the price of admission. About the best way I can describe it is that my guitars feel more "connected" to the amp with that pedal.

10. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

If you want transparent, run a Boss GE-7 in the fx loop?

That Pedal Show did a YouTube video on boosting for solos. They argued that it's not about turning up the volume (much). If you haven't seen it, it might give you some other ideas to explore?

northernguitarguy likes this.
  11. wulfman

wulfman ABB Fan Premium Member

Nobody seems to talk about the Maxon DB10 Dual Booster but it is the best booster I have ever used. It has two independent boost channels that can be used together in whatever order you like. The vintage boost has a subtle high end roll off and is Maxon's take on the famous "treble booster" circuit. Two boosters in one pedal give a bit more flexibility. Great for driving the front end of a tube amp.
    http://www.maxonfx.com/compact-series-effects-pedals/db10-dual-booster

12. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

I've been using a Bad Bob Boost for years. Up to 20dB clean boost to kick your amp in the sack. Originals are tough to find but Analogman has been making them for quite some time. I believe BlackBerry Smoke frontman Charlie Starr still uses one.

bulletproof likes this.
  13. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

+1

bulletproof likes this.
  14. TM1

TM1 Senior Member

Try the Fulltone 2b. Very clear and it's also a buffer and buffers when it's not on.

15. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

OP, your idea will work only if the boost is the last in live and in front of a clean amp. Alternatively, the boost could go last into the return of your fx loop (if there is one) followed by the power amp running clean.
    If you want something completely neutral, you can go with a linear booster like the mxr microamp or similar.
    But this may not be what you'll like.

I've built clones of the zvex ShO and the EP booster and they've served me exceptionally well. Both are not completely neutral, but I much prefer those over linear boosters.

Good luck!

16. lung plunger

lung plunger Senior Member

Check the zvex super hard on. Works great for me.

lakeburst and Rich like this.
  17. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

I use a Nobels ODR-1 set to min gain and max level. It was a pedal I was given about 10 or so years ago.
    It goes after my two O/D pedals one of which cost me 20GBP and the other 12GBP. I get some great sounds and have no desire to go boutique - may be just an EP Booster though (ps is that boutique?).
    I have an MXR micro amp which I have put in an FX loop in the past.

18. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Checkout EH soulfood!

kysrsoze and northernguitarguy like this.
  19. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Are you trying to boost a clean signal or dirty signal? EP Booster works great for clean signal, but it doesn't boost a distorted signal well. For boosting distorted, I like BBE Boosta Grande.

lakeburst and Rich like this.
  20. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

I like the TC Spark mini. Not sure how "transparent" it is, but it adds some oomph.

And it's cheap. I like cheap.