Tragedy de jour

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Marshall & Moonshine, Oct 2, 2017.

Which one affects you the most?

1. Puerto Rico hurricane and response

2. Las Vegas shooting

3. Tom Petty’s passing

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tjbitt

tjbitt Senior Member

2. Death Incarnate

Death Incarnate Premium V.I.P. Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Suffering is not a competitive sport.

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  3. danohat

danohat Senior Member

That coming from Death himself...

4. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Senior Member

D, that is why I'm getting burned-up- no funeral. I want to "boycott" my parents ,but, I will be forced to go since they have plots and money set aside. They know I disdain the idea,

"So, we feed on death and depression? We sit around with a bunch of people who are VERY happy it is not their loved one. They slap me on the back"So sorry." Yeah? "

Every funeral , just like every wedding I went to ,have been sickening. Tons of "actors" looking for a" limelight."

Just "paying respect."

Why not shovel him/her out when they were alive? That is too much work. Snow takes work, many 'bad" backs.

I heard people say the corpse looked GREAT? = like a shriveled husk-real appealing.

I'm calling my plumber and telling him I love him, why it means something.

5. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

He’ll just think you’re full of shit.

Shelbyblues and Tim Fezziwig like this.
  6. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Senior Member

M+M,I need some brownies and milk. This is not good for my psyche-this is worse than the stripper/barista thread!

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  7. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I feel worse for the thousands of kids that starve everyday than I do for the news worthy event of the day.

tjbitt likes this.
  8. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

This for me. Nicely put James, I was struggling with this question from M&M in a moral dilemma but I also feel equally sad about Vegas. 'm old and tired of people who can't conform to a civilized society and want to hurt people because in their twisted world, they think they are the victims. I couldn't vote.

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  9. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

cant say they really affect me. the only one I have really though about was the vegas shooting. I got the same feeling as when 9/11 happened. far away but it could have just as easily been here. the world is unpredictable but nothing I can really do about it except for not be a terrorist.

puerto rico... dont know anything about it. dont know anything about politics either but someone said they always vote against statehood or something like that in the other thread...:hmm: to me that sounds like they want the benefits of being a state without really being part of our country. sure there is putting humanity above politics but lives are being risked to help them.

wasnt much a fan of tom petty but a lot of my friends were. he seemed like a really nice down to earth guy. sucks that he died a little soon but he still lived a long full life.

:laugh2:

10. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Luv TP, but I expect my musical heroes to pass on over the next couple decades. Lotta mileage on these guys with all that money for nothing and chicks for free.

PR looks scary, but Mother Nature is always kicking up a fuss, much more so as of late.

I picked the LV horror. Mostly kids watching a show, all innocently out for fun. I cannot understand that.

11. Chester Drawers

Chester Drawers Senior Member

2910678.jpg

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  12. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Doesn't matter. Tragedy is tragedy. At least Tom Petty went "naturally".

R.I.P to all of the victims of mother nature, and cowardly pieces of shit.

13. Gmal

Gmal Senior Member

That's very sad, but probably true for many.

14. Roberteaux

Roberteaux Alien Hominid V.I.P. Member

I don't tend to react all that emotionally when negative events that don't directly affect me take place. I consider the tendency towards an overabundance of negative emotionalism to be one of the greatest vexations of humanity, even when the emotion is inevitable and called for. But to truly indulge in such sentiments is the sort of behavior that causes a great deal of trouble, while seldom solving any problem and only creating new ones.

I'm not so completely aloof or indifferent towards human suffering that things go completely unnoticed by me, and am not so banal as to fail to take stock of whatever sad situation is at hand. Instead, I appraise things for what they're worth, and kind of move on as soon as is practicable if I'm in no position to do much of anything about it.

I've seen those who tend to exult in a vindictive manner-- while inanely claiming to be a humanitarian-- when those whom they dislike come to harm. I've also seen the schtick in which one tries to appear to be the world's most humane and caring individual, whose heart bleeds every time anything bad happens to anyone else.

Both postures register as affectations to me, and I tend to view both groups as frauds. True humanitarians don't gloat when something bad happens, even to those whom they dislike... and meanwhile, some of the biggest jerks I ever knew came across as Jesus Junior altruists on paper. Talk is cheap, man.

One of the more amusing episodes to have taken place on this board over the years occurred when BB King bit the dust. Being as he was a legendary musician-- and since this board consists mainly of people who own guitars and like music-- the outpouring of sadness was to be expected.

But then, as the thread dealing with his demise wended its way along, the inevitable happened: an absurd contest began to develop, with a couple of members carrying on in such a manner as to make clear that actually, they were competing to be the most tragedy-stricken member. To win, each labored to top one another in the sadness department, to thus claim a sort of Internet crown as being He Who Appreciated BB Most on Account of Personal Good Taste and Artistic Sensitivity.

The whole thing was ridiculous, and incredibly immature. It was equal parts disgusting and hilarious, and I loved the ending: one of the most competitive of the rubes got himself banned for a freakin' year at the crescendo of the thread. :laugh2:

Even genuine emotion should have its limits, or the result is dysfunction and possibly the actual cultivation of one or another type of personality disorder that has to do with poor emotional control. Instead of indulging in negative sentiments incessantly, some effort to recover should be consciously made. It is quite difficult because it takes time and calls for a certain type of personal discipline, but it can be usually be done by those who don't actually have an organically-based mental disorder... and the effort is well worth making. People talk themselves into mental illness all the time without seeming to realize that they might be able to talk themselves back out. Maybe.

So: none of the tragic events of the very recent past have gotten me to don sack cloth and toss handfuls of ashes into the air. I'm not about to commit ritual seppuku about any of it, nor am I allowing myself to either seethe with rage or wallow in grief about any of it. And I have nothing to prove to begin with.

Everybody dies, natural disasters happen, and sometimes some asshole kills a bunch of people. It is pointless to be overwhelmed by rage, grief, fear, or any other negative and debilitating human emotion when these things happen, tragic though so many events happen to be.

Therefore, it's probably foolish to actually "borrow trouble" by becoming overly emotional when things that don't affect us directly take place. It is not to say that we shouldn't care... it's to say that we should be realistic concerning our expectations, and that we should be wise with regard to our subsequent actions.

And it's pointless to fake it. Trust me: others can tell. ;)

--R

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  15. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member