traditional vs standard

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by pugachev, Apr 16, 2009.

1. pugachev

pugachev Senior Member

Hi, I've been looking to buy a new gibson les paul for a while, but I'm not sure which one I should be looking for. The ones in my price range are the traditional and standard. I was hoping someone could explain the difference in these to me. I hear that the new standards have had some weight relief stuff done to them and don't sound as good as they use to. I've also read that the Traditional is designed after the LPs from the 80s, would that be the better choice since most of my favorite music is classic rock and 80s hard rock? Thanks in advance :slash:

adam_v64 and X–Ray like this.
  2. Guitarfreak4

Guitarfreak4 Senior Member

Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro Electric Guitar Features:

Body Style: Non-chambered
    Top: Carved maple
    Back: Mahogany
    Neck: Set mahogany
    Neck Profile: '60s
    Headstock: Angled
    Scale length: 24-3/4"
    Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood
    No. of frets: 22 lloy Fret Wire
    Nut width: 1.69"
    Inlays: Trapezoid
    Binding: Antique
    Bridge: Tune-O-Matic with stopbar tailpiece
    Tuners: Locking Grover
    Hardware: Chrome
    Bridge pickup: potted BurstBucker 3 humbucker with coil-splitting
    Neck Pickup: '57 Classic with coil-splitting
    Electronics: 2 volume with push/pull coil-splitting, 2 tone, 3-way toggle pickup selector
    Knobs: Vintage Gibson top hats
    Pickguard: Period-correct
    Case: Hardshell
    Other: Plek Set-up

Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus Electric Guitar Features:

Body Wood: Chambered mahogany
    Top wood: Figured maple
    Scale Length: 24-3/4"
    Neck Joint: Set-in
    Neck Wood: Mahogany
    Fretboard: Rosewood
    Neck Plek'd on Gibson Plek Machine
    Neck Shape: Asymetrical
    Frets: 22
    Inlays: Figured acrylic trapezoid
    Nut Width: 1.695" ± .050"
    Fretboard Radius: 12"
    Bridge: TonePros locking Nashville Tune-O-Matic
    Tailpiece: Locking TonePros
    Pickup Bridge: Burstbucker Pro with Alnico V
    Pickup Neck: Burstbucker Pro with Alnico V
    Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone with gold-plated Bourns-designed pots, 3-way pickup selector
    Tuners: Locking Grover
    Straplocks: Dunlop
    Jack: Neutrik locking
    Hardware color: Chrome
    Binding: Antique cream top and neck
    Finish: Lacquer

ibson Les Paul Traditional Plus Electric Guitar Features:

Body Wood: Mahogany, non-chambered weight-relieved
    Top wood: Figured maple
    Scale Length: 24-3/4"
    Neck Joint: Set-in
    Neck Wood: Mahogany
    Fretboard: Rosewood
    Plek'd on Gibson Plek Machine
    Neck Shape: '50s rounded
    Frets: 22
    Nut Width: 1.695"
    Fretboard Radius: 12"
    Bridge: Nashville Tune-O-Matic
    Tailpiece: Stopbar
    Pickup Bridge: '57 Classic Plus humbucker
    Pickup Neck: '57 Classic humbucker
    Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way pickup selector
    Vintage speed knobs
    Tuners: TonePros Kluson-style
    Hardware color: Chrome
    Binding: top and neck
    Finish: Lacquer

SOURCE: Musician's Friend

3. pugachev

pugachev Senior Member

Oh man, havent even heard of that traditional pro. That price is VERY tempting :hmm:
    Anyone play one of these and know how they compare to the other traditional and stardard, besides the burstbucker 3.

4. Ides of March

Ides of March Senior Member

You said that you are into the music from the 80's, well you should go for the Traditional, not the pro. The traditional is based off the les pauls of the 80's and 90's and also have the 57 classic pickups in them. The standard is much lighter, which I did not like when I checked them out together. And to be realistic about this, the "standard" is really the Tradtional except with 57's. The new standard is for a modernized sound. I don't like the pcb board either. I like the pots and caps. I am not saying there is anything wrong with the standard but from what you are saying, the Trad is an awesome guitar, looks and playability wise. Has the weight too. But you should try them both out. And research a little bit on here about the former threads of standard vs trad.

5. AXE

AXE Six String Soldier V.I.P. Member

6. pugachev

pugachev Senior Member

I dont quite follow. You say I should go Traditional because its based of the 80s and 90s one, yes? Because the Traditional Pro says it is based of those ones as well. And i thought the standards had bb pros while the traditional had 57s??

Reason I ask is because alot of people complain about the chambering and weight relief stuff. The only store in my town doesnt carry traditional pros. Only GC is a few hours out so just want to know if its worth the drive to see if I like that one more.

7. LPV

LPV Senior Member

A few hours drive is nothing when spending that kind of cash. Decide when it is in your hands. Oh, and a pic of my 08' standards control cavity :)

[​IMG]

8. Ides of March

Ides of March Senior Member

The Trad pro is just a lesser version of the Traditional in my opinion which is a killer guitar. And yes the Traditional is based on the les pauls of the 80's and 90's, the pro maybe as well since they are basing the Trad pro on the Traditional. Yes the new standards, 09, have bb pro's in them and are chambered. The Traditional is equipped with the Classic 57's in them.
    I can't say what you would like better chambering wise or weight wise. Me personally I wanted a heavier guitar that is not gutted. The swiss cheese works for me since that is how it has been done for a while now anyway. If you want to take the drive and check out the pro go ahead, but I would get the Traditional if I were you, hell I did. But I also didn't have the option of the Pro either. Just the Standard and the Trad. I don't like the new Standards. The trad is basically the old standards.

9. chazza

chazza Senior Member

Traditional.

10. kylehnewman

kylehnewman Senior Member

traditional, thats my preference, it sounds more like a vintage les paul

11. kylehnewman

if you like slash and 80s music get the traditional

12. kylehnewman

hey burst addict, can you tel me how to start a thread

13. sapounov

sapounov Senior Member

Oooh ! "VS" thread again ?

Traditional ;-)

14. AXE

AXE Six String Soldier V.I.P. Member

.....[​IMG]

15. theimportanceofbeingidle

theimportanceofbeingidle Junior Member

16. highenuff

highenuff Senior Member

17. vmjoe

vmjoe Senior Member

Funny how we all hear things differently. I subscribe to Guitarist (English mag), and a few months back, they compared the Traditional and '08 Standard. Both received very high ratings but the '08 Standard was ultimatly their choice. They made the comment that in their estimation, the '08 Standard actually sounded more vintage with the BB Pro's as opposed to the Traditional with '57 Classics. I can quote if anyone is interested.

I played both these guitars extensively before choosing the '08 Standard. I actually own 2 now, one I modified with P94 pup's. I just don't hear any ill affects in tone due to the chambering. The Traditional is weight relieved, but with less overall wood removed.

While many here advocate the reissues due to the lack of any weight relief amoung other things, I bought 2 Standards for around what one of these cost.

It all depends how you use it I suppose. Personally, I'm not a professional musician, so if there are tonal advantages with the reissues, it just isn't enough for me to justify the extreme price.

It sounds like it will be difficult for you to compare the Traditional and '08 Standard, but I would recommend this if at all possible. While both are very fine instruments, my preference is the Standard. Only you can make the judgement as to what you prefer. If you don't have that option, I don't think you will be dissatisfied with either choice. I don't agree with the opinion that because the '08 Standard is chambered, it is not a true Les Paul, but that is just my opinion.

18. Rikochet

Rikochet Senior Member

go to whatever part of the forum you want to post a thread in (ex. gibson les pauls) then find the "new thread" button, in this part of the forum its right under the norlin years subforum

19. LeePetersonUk

LeePetersonUk Junior Member

thanks for posting I went to the store and tried a used 04 standard and an 08 standard. Both sounded great but, the used wasnt in the condition id prefer and although the neck was great I found the 08 to be a bit light (lighter than my PRS Custom 24). I didnt even try the traditional but now ive checked them out they sit in my price range a bit better, although id remove the scratchplate I think.

Im into early fleetwood mac with Peter Green and Slash so do you think the traditional would be more suited to me?

20. Fedejh

Fedejh Senior Member

i prefer the standard 08, but it's a bit expensive, i think.