Total recording novice looking for advice

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by daithesaes, Apr 16, 2017.

1. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Hi guys,

Been playing a long time but never felt the need to record my endeavours, until now! Recently shared some clips with friends by just recording with my mobile phone's voice recorder and then emailing it. Sounded like a really bad bootleg recording but wasn't expecting much.

Kinda got me thinking about getting some better results without busting the bank; not looking for pro results, just something passable.

Have recently picked up an Alesis Core 1 USB interface which came with Cubase LE 9. Also have a Line 6 POD 2.0. Also have a laptop (nothing fancy - it's an Asus X555Y) I can connect all that to. Have some small speakers with a sub that I can hook the laptop up to for playback etc and a Laney Cub amp. No leads to connect POD as yet (I notice it doesn't have USB connectivity).

No mics - hoping I can record direct to the laptop. Just looking to use some MP3 backing tracks and to play over the top and record the results.

Now, I have no idea what to do with any of the stuff I have, or if I need other kit to get going. This is where I'm hoping you guys come in!

Can anyone enlighten me on how to get going?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Hey Dave,

I think you have everything you need to get going. You can plug your guitar in to your POD, then take the output from the pod to the core1 (use line input) and from there USB into the laptop running cubase.

Alternatively, you could run the guitar in to the core 1 (use guitar input) and from there USB into the laptop running cubase. Set up an input channel in cubase and insert a guitar processor on the channel (I think guitar amp sim plugins might be included in cubase).

Have fun!

3. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Awesome, thank you! Currently moving house so everything is going into boxes so haven't had a chance to play with everything yet.

Do you know if Cubase is pretty intuitive or are there other easier DAW's out there? Never used one before!! Looking forward to messing about with it all!

4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I've been using Cubase for so long it's hard to be objective. Yeah i think it's pretty intuitive for such a feature packed DAW. You might find something lie Audacity a lot easier and more basic though.

5. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Thanks again Freddy; really appreciate your input on this. I think I'm going to try to use Cubase as I already have it loaded onto my laptop ready to go. Going to watch a bunch of YouTube tutorials first though I think!

6. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

There you go. If you have any cubase questions just post here or PM me...I know that program inside out.

7. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Very kind offer, thank you!

8. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

So, picked up a Yamaha THR10C practice amp cos I wanted a small, portable amp (it's fantastic by the way, highly recommended) and it has the added bonus of USB connectivity plus it comes with Cubase too.

Got it all hooked up to my laptop and fired up the copy of Cubase I got with the Alesis (Cubase LE AI elements 9), managed to get the THR10C to 'see' Cubase and vice versa. Had the guitar coming through the amp as it was hooked up to the laptop, think I managed to record something in Cubase (the 'graph' in the track was registering the guitar) but couldn't get any playback.ro come back through the amp.

I have no idea what's going on with it! Have watched a couple of Cubase tutorials but it's all a bit complex and not user friendly for me at the moment.

Can't seem to find a 'how to use cubase with a thr10' type of video.

Think I need to sit down with it for a while really. Only messed about with it for 20 mins the other night.