Total Guitar Makeover: Artcore AS83

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by kfowler8, Mar 4, 2018.

1. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Little over a week ago, I posted about an Ibanez Artcore AS83 that I picked up at a local pawn shop for $150. After playing it out, I decided I really liked it but I wanted to go ahead and swap out some of the cheap Chinese hardware and electronics. So I decided to do a total guitar makeover. Visually it looks unchanged but pretty much only the shell of the guitar stayed the same.

Here are the upgrades I made
    • Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups
    • Graph Tech Tusq Nut
    • (4) Left handed 500k CTS audio pots
    • (2) Mallory .022uf caps
    • Switchcraft 3-way toggle
    • Switchcraft jack
    • Tone Pros Tune-O-Matics bridge and Tailpiece
    • Gotoh tuners
    I'm always amazed at the impact switching to good quality pickups. I'm a big Seymour Duncan fan. I've got a couple Alnico II Pro sets and a set of Whole Lotta Humbuckers. I've never played these Seth Lovers but picked up a set based on recommendations on something PAF-like. They didn't didn't disappoint. They really sound great. Nice and rich.

This is also the first time I've used a Graph Tech nut. I normally use bone. The nut pretty much dropped right in with minimal shaping. So far I like it. The rest of the electronics are just a lot more smoother now.

I'll play the guitar out this week so I'll get to run it though its paced. So far it sounds so much more alive now and the tuning is more stable. I probably put another $300 in the guitar so I've got $450 invested in total for a really good sounding player. IMG_3267.JPG IMG_3270.JPG IMG_3274.JPG

2. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Many (most?) of these Artcore guitars come with low output pups. I generally like low output pups, but those on my SF 85 are a little too low for me. Enjoy your modded guitar.

kfowler8 likes this.
  3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I had a lot of trouble finding Gotohs in gold, which is what my AS93 wears. The tuners and nut are the only upgrades I feel are needed. I like the pickups -- they're very clear and articulate. I am considering a new harness with full-sized pots and 50s wiring.

kfowler8 likes this.
  4. Liquid State

Liquid State Premium Member

those are great mods. and very ambitious to take on rewiring a semi-hollow.

kfowler8 likes this.
  5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

I bet that sounds amazing now!

kfowler8 likes this.
  6. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

It certainly wasn’t easy but not too bad. I used the fish tubing trick to get the pots in place