Top Hat Pickups Pop-Up?

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by FrankieOliver, Sep 4, 2009.

1. FrankieOliver

FrankieOliver Senior Member

I started getting these rather annoying pop-ups at sign in not long ago, you know right smack in front of where I need to put my name and password. I understand the need for advertising, but this makes signing a royal pain in the ass. Fact is, it's the only pop-up I get, anywhere, so I'm a little intrigued here about how that's working. :hmm:

2. twinrider1

twinrider1 Senior Member

3. FrankieOliver

Thanks twinrider, but, I keep getting them. It has gone on far more than once or twice. It happens every time I sign in and I have an excellent pop-blocker. :hmm:

4. ojedad23

ojedad23 the oj guy Premium Member

ive gotten them like 8 times now, annoying really.

5. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

whats really annoying, is if ya put in yer info...all ya get is..."This site is no longer active"...WTF???

Oh, Yea, and wheres my 32,000,000 dollars from Nigeria???

6. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

ruh roh....

7. FrankieOliver

Skooby? Is that you? Where have you been? :hmm: :lol:

8. twinrider1

twinrider1 Senior Member

Hmm, I wonder if it's because you log in manually each time instead of letting it remember you?
    I'd PM Alex directly.

9. FrankieOliver

I'll check that, twinrider. One thing I do do at the end of every day is clear my cache, prefetch, etc. of all temporary files and cookies. I use CCleaner as well. But that's once a day. Thanks for the tip. :)

10. V!N

V!N Senior Member

It has been annoying me since day one ! If anything, it makes me want to ignore ANY post on Top Hat pickups. Let alone check them out for myself...

11. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

I only got it yesterday when I installed Opera on my girlfriend's laptop and I hadn't set the 'remember me' function, yet.

12. FrankieOliver

Well, it happened again when I signed in again this morning, but no doubt because I cleared my cache, etc. at the end of my session last night. That's besides the point, these pop-ups are just plain rude. It's the internet's sidewalk flyer peddler shoving that shit in your face approach to advertising. That's my not so humble opinion. It's a damned shame.

13. twinrider1

twinrider1 Senior Member

Yea, if you let the cookie stay it probably won't appear again. But I agree, it's annoying.

14. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

You can't block them because they're javascript or XML or some other coding within the website itself. It's not opening a new window. Sites have been doing this for sometime now to get around pop-up blockers.

I agree it's annoying, but it doesn't bother your computer, open new windows, or (I would hope) contain spyware, adware, or malware. So click the "x" or just go to a subforum, it will go away.

15. V!N

V!N Senior Member

Just got it again, again, again and again... I HATE IT ! This puts Top Hat in the same corner as messages about boob pills, penis pills, mortgage, insurance and all the other spam. The only difference is that I get less messages a day about those than about Top Hat...
    I must add that it's a dirty rotten trick to get around the pop up blockers. The one who put it there KNOWS that everybody hates this sort of thing and is using pop up blockers to prevent seeing those frustrating things with useless information.

This all gives Top Hat a very negative vibe for me. Even if they were the last pickup makers on earth, I'd rather switch to acoustics...

16. Harmony

Harmony V.I.P. Member

It happens at around the same time for me. Between 1-3am ET.

You don't even have to be logged in to get them either.

17. jimmyq

jimmyq Senior Member

Agreed that it doesn't presesent a very positive impression of Top Hat pickups.