Too many overdrive pedals ?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Wailing, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Wailing

Wailing Senior Member

IMG_1920.JPG Hi folks

Do any among you feel I have too many overdrive pedals ? The Thundertomate is a silicone Treble Booster, the yellow unit is a Pedal projects Klon Centaur clone, the White Heat is a Tonebender Fuzz clone, and the Black Box is of course a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone. les Paul Special or Junior ran through a 5E3 clone

Thoughts in a postcard please

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Depends on the rig, what you play, your volume requirements and your patience with turning pedals on and off.
    As everybody has essentially a unique setup, there is really no relevant answer or opinion amongst strangers.

If they cover the sounds you want and you use all of them, then there aren't too many.....its really that simple.

kboman and Wailing like this.
  3. Travis19

Travis19 Senior Member

Probably.

I certainly have too many unused.

As for my board: Ethos Clean > Jetter Johnny A > insert 'fuzz-of-the-moment' here > Buffalo FX Booster.

90% of what I have engaged is the Ethos and Buffalo Booster, as the booster cleans up nicely with my volume knob. The Johnny A is a dual pedal with the "Train Drive" on the left and the "GS-124" on the right. I pretty much use the left side exclusively when I want to get really dirty.

My amps are a Carr Mercury and a Carr Rambler.

P1015466.JPG

Wailing likes this.
  4. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

Yes. And I've probably sold off more than I still have.

5. Prospector

Prospector Premium Member

Nope. Each one of those pedals provides different and distinct tones, and I'll bet some of them sound awesome stacked together. Play on!

Wailing and bulletproof like this.
  6. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

Are you listening to yourself through headphones, like a studio cat, touring in big venues, playing in clubs, or couch-jamming?

For the (former) bar band player like me, I think a TS-style and a BOSS style is plenty of tonal variation. Pick your flavor from those two columns and you're good. Maybe a clean boost to fatten it up a bit, and a compressor for that particular bit of goodness.

But I like simple and cheap. Always have.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  7. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Never, ever.

Not to sound old, but I kinda was one of the first to use a TON of ODs on one board. I got flak for it too, especially on TGP of all places.

Nowadays it's not all that uncommon to see 6 ODs on one board. Back then it was overkill and people gave you sh!t for it. Nowadays it's not even brought up, people like your selection lol.

Not saying I started the lots of drives on one board thing, but I sure as hell remember doing it before it was cool and accepted.

I say smoke 'em if you got 'em, so keep on keepin' on!

Wailing and bulletproof like this.
  8. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I agree with gibsonguitar1988,one can never have too many.....so many different flavors,so many different stack orders. Drive on,brother,Drive On!!!!:headbanger:

Wailing likes this.
  9. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I have a 40th anniversary DS-1 and an Outlaw Deputy Marshal (hmm, I wonder how they arrived at that name...?) I'm considering a One Control Golden Acorn Overdrive Special, which hopes to "reproduce the iconic overdrive and tremendous dynamic range of the renowned Dumble amplifiers". That puppy is three-four times what I paid for the Outlaw, so I'll want to hear it before I buy, for sure.

10. Wailing

Wailing Senior Member

Cheers guys, the other guitarist in the band plays quite a different rig, and I feel the host of drives on my board help create an interesting contrast... I guess I should adopt the greatly missed Mr Ronsons line 'Play, don't worry'

11. Jota

Jota Senior Member

If you like it who am I to say anything but, for me, it's too much.
    I hate having too many options cause I hate to choose!
    So, for me, a dual drive and a fuzz are more than enough.

12. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

I have several OD pedals and they are setup to the tone I'm looking for and I don't mess with them from that point. I have a MojoMojo (can't say enough good things about this one and is priced right), EHX Hot Tubes, OD Clone that I built (one of my favorites), Joyo Vintage OD, and Caline Orange burst (use it more than Joyo).

Wailing likes this.
  13. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Well ... the phrase "too many overdrive pedals" ... surely that's not possible? ;)

You've got a Treble Booster, Fuzz plus a light and heavy OD: that doesn't seem excessive to me, especially if you're running a clean-ish amp.

I used to run two ODs (one with a built in boost) plus a Fuzz which is pretty similar:

EQD Hoof --> JHS Charlie Brown --> ZVex Box of Rock

I've now dropped the Charlie B and Hoof in favour of an EQD Gray Channel since the germanium side of that does a great job of being a Fuzz and that freed up space to fit an EHX PoG on my board. But that's still two OD tones, a Fuzz tone and lead boost. Just from two dual pedals rather than individual ones.

So, er, short version: No. I don't think you have too many overdrives. :)

bulletproof and Wailing like this.
  14. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

nah'

bulletproof, Wailing and tolm like this.
  15. lung plunger

lung plunger Senior Member

Nawl, I'd stack 'em all. Cascading gain stages and sh!t. Get br00tuhl.

bulletproof likes this.
  16. sonar

sonar Senior Member

From a guy that either has one or none (OD/Fuzz/Distortion) on the band board...

You're good.

Whatever you need to make it work.

17. Wailing

Wailing Senior Member

IMG_1980.JPG The Blue Note Jack plug played up again for the third time, so it has gone back and I have changed the configuration, thoughts please Now have x2 Marshall type pedals on the rig

18. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I have a boss SD1 and OD1 on the same board. They do different things so they stay for me.

And I'm not getting why you need our approval on how you set up your rig. Surely its to suit your playing not ours

northernguitarguy, Stuff and Wailing like this.
  19. paco1976

paco1976 Senior Member

It's allright. The overdrive is that kind of pedal that depending on the day your prefer one or the other... so, good thing to have a few of them.

Wailing likes this.
  20. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

If you use them all then, no.

Wailing likes this.