Tony Iommi Heaven and Hell Guitar Tone?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by 74Evan, Jun 4, 2017.

1. 74Evan

74Evan Senior Member

I really love the guitar tone off of Heaven and Hell. Tony Iommi's guitar tone here is very different from anything else he's done over the years. It sounds like it has a ton of midrange and it's not as dark as his usual tone. I know he uses Laney almost exclusively but I've read he used a Marshall for the recording of Heaven and Hell and its tour. Does anybody know what his setup was and how I could get a similar tone? I have a 100w 2203 JMP with a 1960B Marshall 4x12.

2. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

3. Liquid State

Liquid State Premium Member

I really love that tone as well. I had always thought it sounded less "Sabbath" and that with Ronnie taking up vocals that it was trying to sound more modern (well for 1980 anyways). I saw them on the Mob Rules tour (Outlaws opened for them when Ghost Riders was a hit). Fantastic show, really one of the best I have seen.

4. red_bull

red_bull Senior Member

Great track, that and Neon Knights

5. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

The difference in guitar tone between Heaven and Hell, and the band's follow up, Mob Rules, is interesting as well. Iommi went with a thicker sound for MR, but much different than the thick sound he used in Sabbath's infancy. The Mob Rules guitar tone is probably my favorite guitar tone ever, from any band.

74Evan and Who like this.
  6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I don't know about H&H and Mob Rules, but I have seen interviews and lessons and performances from the mid-80's and TI is using Mesa Power amps and lots of gain. He also uses extremely high output pickups, like 20+k ohms. :eek2: