Tonerider pickups for strat build which ones?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Rockbly66, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Rockbly66

Rockbly66 Member

I have a strat project going on and I need pickups for it. I have always wanted to try Toneriders so that is what I am going to put in this partscaster. I just need some recommendations of which ones people really like. These will be my first real strat pickups so I don't know much about the different sounds other than what I hear on YouTube. The Guitar is an Alder body with a Maple neck. I like to play blues and blues rock, but wouldn't mind getting into some surf rock and alternative showgazing stuff. I always play with a little dirt but I think any of these Toneriders handle dirt in their own cool way from what I have heard on YouTube. I do have my favorites form listening, but I am just wondering what are the favorites out there with you guys. Again I know people are going to suggest Rose and Bill Lawrence as well as others, but I am really only interested in trying out a set of Toneriders just to see what the hype is and hopefully getting a great set of pickups.

2. Rockbly66

Rockbly66 Member

3. ashbass

ashbass V.I.P. Member

The Surfari set was used as the '50 style for the squire classic vibe 50s guitar. They sound sterile to me with no tone really at all.
    The Classic blues were used in the '60 style for the squire classic vibe 60s guitar. Those have nice tone IMO.

I put together a Classic Vibe partscaster and the Classic Blues won out for me.

4. calfzilla

calfzilla Member

I had a set of RH Factor (SRV) pickups that were supposed to be close to the City Limits... Loved them. Beat the hell out of the Duncan APS-1s that were in the guitar.

5. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

I like the Classic Blues. Similar to RH Factor's Hendrix set I think.

6. WebGringo

WebGringo Senior Member

Tried the classic blues, but if i were to go for TR again i would pick city limits. They seem to cover more ground