Tonerider Generator Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Syn, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Syn

Syn Senior Member

I'm thinking of getting a Tonerider Generator pickup to replace my SD Alnico 2 in the bridge of my LP. It's too low output for the music I play now and a bit muddy. I've looked at the equivalent (price, output and voicing) pickup from Irongear, the "Hot Slag":shock: (I think the toneriders are better from the soundclips I've heard) and have considered Bare Knuckle Nailbombs, Motor City Pickups and Seymour Duncan Alternative 8's but I want to give the Tonerider pickups a chance for the price, I could end up saving a lot of money and have the tone I'm happy with. If not, I haven't spent a lot trying! From what I've read they are like the SD Sh-4 JB's with a tighter bottom end, which sounds appealing to me!
    So, has anyone got them or had any experience with them?

2. goofballone

goofballone Senior Member

I love the set of Rocksongs I have in my LP their inexpensive enough to try out if you dont like em you can sell easy 'nouf

3. Syn

Syn Senior Member

Exactly, they seem to have the edge over Irongear which are exactly the same price. What are your experiences with the pickups compared to any other brands?

4. Syn

Syn Senior Member

Ordered, I'll give a review when they're in the guitar. Should be a week or so, as well as my guitar being completely rewired with new components :thumb:

5. Goldtop75

Goldtop75 Senior Member

I've tried these... A bit thin sounding... or rather, the EQ was a bit pinched at the upper mid freq. A bit too "eeeyyyyyyyy" sounding. I prefer something with "awwww".

That said, their A4 Classics are absolutely killer! Just wish the bridge was a bit hotter.

Christian Boddum likes this.
  6. Syn

Syn Senior Member

I know what you mean, I chose these because they had less of that eq pinching than the irongear ones, they sounded a bit fuller on the demos. My LP is quite bassy anyway and the warmth of the SD's and my Marshall just causes mud.

7. Syn

Syn Senior Member

Got this installed today and I have to say, it isn't just awesome for the price, it's awesome full stop. High output but not treble-y or fizzy, quite smooth. It is an upgrade from the SD I had in there IMO! It's really tightened everything up. I'd recommend Toneriders to anyone searching for a high output passive pickup, and not just those on a budget! I have had all the electronics replaced, new bridge and tailpiece aswell so that could explain the massive difference I've noticed. But I don't think those factors would take away from the fact this pickup sounds great. And, contrary to the reviews I read all over the internet, it DOES clean up well. Add a bit of chorus and you've got a beautiful textured tone perfect for chords high up the neck.

8. Christian Boddum

Christian Boddum Junior Member

Funny! i think the same regarding the al4 classics, also regarding the rocksong bridge, if they wound it a bit hotter I think it would sound fatter in the midrange - it takes a richsounding guitar to work :)

9. Christian Boddum

Christian Boddum Junior Member

Hi!

I got a set of Generators, swapped them from a guy who needed a set of al2's :)

I put them in a Ibanez RGA32 that I made my "shredder-guitar",
    first I had a set of IG Steamhammers in, but I found the lack of detail in the trebles annoying, especially on the neck pickup - which i think is a tad too hot anyway.

The generators fit this guitar very well (mahogany body), the bridge pu is spec'ed like a JB-4 but is not as honky in the midrange which suits me fine.

The Steamhammer had that Super D quality that makes powerchords explode, and it is a great sound, but, single notes, of which i play a lot, do not sound as pleasing as on the Generator, so it is a real world compromise between power and tone, and a good one :fingersx:

I use a 5-way super switch giving me,hold on;

Bridge series, bridge parallel, bridge and neck series, neck parallel, neck series. + a Wilde Q-filter instead of the tone pot. It is very, very versatile and all positions are noisecancelling :fingersx:

Now I have get another guitar for the Steamhammer bridge pickup, 'cause I still want to play those exploding powerchords on occasion :hmm: Cheers!