Tone riders and creamery pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by donjuan87, Dec 5, 2017.

1. donjuan87

donjuan87 Junior Member

Anyone had any experience with either of these brands? Opinions appreciated.

2. bad565ss

bad565ss Senior Member

I used some Tonerider Alnico2 Classics in a LP Studio. Replaced the Burstbuckers which I've never cared for.
    I though they were quite good actually. Similar to 57 Classics. Can't speak for any other model.

3. crave1

crave1 Member

This year I invested in a custom calibrated set of 3 Firebird pickups for my Firebird VII from Jaime at The Creamery. I got what I asked for (and the tone I wanted) within the agreed delivery time and the quality is spot on (absolutely slays SD and DM options). There was a week or so delay because Jaime wasn't happy with the quality of the covers supplied to him and whilst he offered me all the alternatives available to him I decided to wait a week or so for the traditional plain covers.

The basic recipe was 4 conductor, wound to 1963/64 spec with a twist in the magnet choice...... No arguments from Jaime just a reassuring conversation that what I was after would work for my tone. The Bridge ended up @ 7.3k DC through to the neck @ 6.2 k DC. Dynamic, clear as a bell and does the "fat Tele" sound in spades. The guitar has gone from "nice to have" to #1 gig guitar.

I'll be going back to Jaime based on my experience.

Spiteface and donjuan87 like this.
  4. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

I've used Tonerider alnico II classics and alnico IV classics, and they are well made and sound fine.
    I have no experience with the Creamery, but only heard good things about his pickups.
    I do have a pair of "vintage" PAF pickups from another British winder, Mojo Pickups UK, and I'm very pleased with them. I think he is very busy at the moment, but usually delivers within the promised time.

5. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

6. AHGrayLensman

AHGrayLensman Member

I have Tonerider Alnico 4 Classics in two of my guitars, an Epi LP and a PRS Bernie Marsden. I like them quite a bit. I've also had an SG with their Rebel 90s in it, and those were good as well.

7. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

I've had a set of Toneriders (cant remember which ones - I sold the guitar ages ago) and they were fine. Never read a bad thing about them on this forum.

never tried Creamery.

8. kboman

kboman Senior Member

I've got a Creamery Baby '71 in one of my guitars (middle position in an old Ibanez strat-style) and it's basically become my base sound. Fantastic pickup - I've had it in three different guitars and all positions but this is where it really shines!

It's a Wide Range style construction in a standard humbucker format. It's so good I'm having considerable problems finding something that keeps up with it...! Highly recommended winder.