Tone Poll - Test Your Ears (Gibson / Epiphone)

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by diceman, Aug 4, 2008.

Which Tone Do You Prefer?

1. Guitar 1

13.6%
  2. Guitar 2

22.1%
  3. Guitar 3

37.1%
  4. Guitar 4

27.1%
  1. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

A lot of it was the crappy mic - it did clip a lot of #3. The P90 came across sort of dark - the camera didn't capture the warmth and depth as well as it should have. If you were all in the room listening, I'm sure it would have had as many votes as the R8. The runs on 1 and 4 were particularly sloppy - it was my third time recording, so I was just rushing through it. The first time, my memory card filled up and cut the video short. The second time, the freakin' batteries died. So, the third time, I was thinking "this better work or I'm just gonna scrap the whole thing!" When I finally got a recording that actually worked the whole time, I just went with it!

2. WhippingPost

WhippingPost Senior Member

The R7s and R8s are virtually identical. Spec wise, that is. Come to think of it, do you think Gibson put reissue grey tigers in the R7s? That would be more correct than BBs, wouldn't it?

I love the look of those early plain top cherry sunbursts, but I really dig the gold top. Normally I'm not a big fan of gold, but I think a dark back GT is "sheckshee," as Sean Connery would say. And, I love the way they color as they age.

Back to the topic at hand: yes, the subtle differences are amazing. All of the guitars sound amazingly close (even more amazing when you consider that one of them is a single coil guitar). The R8 just had a tad bit more clarity.

Next time, you should play some heavily distorted John Denver. :thumb:

3. marklp69

marklp69 Senior Member

#2 was my favorite tone by far and I voted for it.

Also, that Sean Costello clip rocked. Love that tone.

4. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I'm a Sean Costello nut. Its terrible that he passed at such a young age (although you can only feel sorry for someone who OD's on drugs, I guess).

I've accumulated all of his albums - a couple of them were kinda pricey already ("Call The Cops" - his first album - $40+)! Great stuff to jam along with. I wish I would have had a chance to hear him in person. He and his '54 just sound amazing! There are some great videos on youtube from that same guy (Pepitone or something) - he must have filmed a whole set. Incredible stuff.

My '69 Deluxe is an amazing guitar. Its got really low frets (been refretted, and leveled several times by now!) - still plays flawlessly, but I may do a new fret job down the road. The p90's suit her well - I wouldn't change a thing about that guitar even if I could. The funky refin gives it some interesting personality as well!

Thanks for the vote! Pretty interesting results...

5. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

The bumblebees that came in mine weren't that great IMO, so even if they did do the grey tigers... they'd probably not be PIO and need swapped anyways!

Distorted John Denver huh....? ;)

6. WhippingPost

I knew they'd have to be replaced with Q's or Luxe repro's, but it would be a nice touch by Gibson.

You know, I occasionally like to play something people aren't expecting. I like to bust out a rearranged, slowed down bluesy version of Leaving On A Jet Plane at jam sessions. It get's that, "Wait, is he playing...? What is that? Oh my God, he's playing John Denver."

Kind of like in High Fidelity when John Cusack hears Lisa Bonet singing Peter Frampton's Baby I Love Your Way.

7. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

I voted for 4 as well... good job. This might be one of the better threads yet.

8. mdr40z

mdr40z Senior Member

huh, I didn't get in in time but I voted for #2 before looking at the results

9. meursault

meursault Senior Member

i'm really curious to make that kind of "experience" with good recordings... clean and lead...

10. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Rock on - its not too late to vote! It looks like the results are staying fairly consistent.

11. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

It would be cool. I don't have much for audio/visual gear - I blew it all on guitars and amps!

12. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Thanks! Those Elitists are all around fantastic guitars. Poly is good enough for PRS, and its the only thing that its really "missing" (the Nitro) when compared to a Historic...

13. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I like rocking out songs that you wouldn't expect to hear. I've down Country Roads, actually, with revamped lyrics (I had a girlfriend a long time ago that lived at the end of "Cemetery Road" back at home).

Our band broke in to "Breakfast At Tiffany's" the other day, when we realized that the new song we were working on shared the same chords for the verses. We're going to cover it I think... it'll be our only cover, but its so much fun! One of those "guilty pleasures" songs!

Check out the band Me First And The Gimme Gimmies - they do nothing but punk versions of classic songs.

(ignore the cartoon fake video with it, but here's a nice Uptown Girl punk cover by Me First)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPZG22jE330&feature=related

14. River

River Senior Member

Way cool. My favorite along those lines is Led Zeppelin doing Blueberry Hill (Fats Domino). Shivers me timbers every time I listen to it. This topic could be its own thread.

15. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Sounds like a good idea. A covers thread would be fun.

16. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

And... the Elitist is in 1st place again! :D

17. WhippingPost

18. Benniator

Benniator Senior Member

Whoa. I guessed these all correctly. #3 sounded the best to me. Plan on doing another blind test with distortion, dice?

19. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Good ear!

I'll try to do one eventually - we'll see how it sounds, though - my camera sucks.

20. myinstrument

myinstrument Senior Member

#'s 2-4 sounded incredible. #3 seemed very warm, i didnt care for #1 just because playing clean it sounded very bright and piercing. im torn between 3 and 4.