Tone controls and Alnico II Pro pickups

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by andy007, Dec 2, 2017.

1. andy007

andy007 Premium Member

My Les Paul has Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros in neck and bridge. I also have an RS Guitarworks modern kit installed. I only play with the tone knobs rolled all the way down to zero. Sounds great that way. If I turn the tone knob past 3 it sounds horrible. It sounds like I'm playing through an amplified transistor radio that is located at the other end of a drain pipe that runs under the road. I can't believe anybody could possibly find an application where that sound would be deemed appropriate. I've always avoided the problem by rolling the tone completely off. This can't be normal . . . or can it?

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I would be checking your wiring. I assume it is only that guitar, and others are ok.

JohnnyN likes this.
  3. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

I love the Alnico II Pros, and use the tone control a lot. But I only turn it all the way down for a very specific effect, and not for just normal playing. So what you are describing doesn't sound right. I would look over the wiring...make sure the coils of each pickup are connected in series and working. You can test this by wiring 1 pickups at a time directly to the jack and see what kind of sound you are getting. The tone should be full and warm, like 2 giant sticks of butter.

yamariv likes this.
  4. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

+1 Definitely sounds like a wiring problem.

5. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

It's probably not the pickups as I cannot relate at all with my Slash Pups and 50's wiring. They are great sounding pickups, sounds like a big wiring issue....did you do the install?

6. andy007

andy007 Premium Member

I had a luthier do the install several years ago. I'm more capable now so I will check the wiring this weekend. Yeah, I'm going to assume it's the wiring and I've left it that way all these years. This is my only guitar (that actually works) so I didn't have anything to compare it to.

7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Then you cannot assume that the guitar is the only culprit.

Maybe you can borrow/beg a guitar and another cable to check out what the situation is with that setup. Amps are not immune to issue.

JohnnyN likes this.
  8. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

Try turning the gain down a bit?

Honestly the APH is a pretty warm low output pickup. The amp may be the culprit, I felt this way when i was playing through a DSL.