Tone Comparison Thoughts between Wolfetone Legends and Throbak SLE 101

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by pgurlea, Oct 10, 2017.

1. pgurlea

pgurlea Junior Member

I am a big fan of both Wolfetone and Throbak pickups. They are both top quality choices. For those of you lucky enough to have played both Wolfetone Legends and Throbak SLE 101s what are your tone comparison observations between these two models? On paper, they appear close in specs.

rockinlespaul and jcsk8 like this.
  2. straightblues

straightblues Senior Member

I have had them both and would say they are fairly comparable. They are both very good.

After trying a lot of humbuckers, I ended up with OX4's in my guitars. They are more expensive but the best humbuckers for me.

jcsk8 likes this.
  3. pgurlea

pgurlea Junior Member

Thanks straightblues. I like the fact that OX4s are built to your specs.

4. uscyber

uscyber Junior Member

I have a set of Wolfetone Dr. Vintage 8.3k at the bridge and 7.4k at the neck. I wont say they sound as good as my PAFs but darn close.

mdubya and jcsk8 like this.
  5. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

I didn´t have the oportunity to try any other vintage or boutique pickups, but mine Wolfetones Dr. V´s do everything I want. So never need to try another set. Years away from standard produced pickups as Seymour´s or Dimarzio´s.

mdubya likes this.
  6. tuco

tuco Senior Member

Both are great pickups. Wolfetone legends are among my favorites but it does depend on the guitar.

7. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Wolfetone Legends are just about as good as your going to get at its price point. Don't forget they are a few hundred dollars cheaper than Throbaks.

I used them exclusively for years.

Throbaks are fantastic pups as well but they ain't cheap.

mdubya likes this.
  8. pgurlea

pgurlea Junior Member

I ended up picking up a pair of OX4 medium wound humbuckers with A4 magnets. These are great sounding vintage vibe pickups. I really like the A4 mag in the neck pickup. The bridge is sweet (no treble harshness) and punchy.

9. dc007

dc007 Member

I have both. The Legends live in my R9 while the Throbaks live in my Shanks. I have swapped the stock pickups from the Shanks in and out a couple of times but I like it better with the Throbaks...a real rock machine that cleans up very nice. As for a comparison, both pickups do the PAF thing well. Most folks don't hear a great deal of difference in the guitars. I think the Throbaks are more articulate and the bridge has a bit more bite than the Legend bridge. But that does not mean the Legends aren't as good. Just different. They aint coming out of the R9. You would not be disappointed with either of them