Tokai rookie, need some advice

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by XpensiveWino, Jul 8, 2017.

1. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Senior Member

Hi everyone, this popped up on my local CL. Seller says he doesn't know the model or the history of the guitar (a red flag in itself...). I've done a little research. I'm guessing this is a ls-50 or 60. I think that means poly finish, although he mentions checking in the ad.

https://asheville.craigslist.org/msg/6209453534.html

Any insight into the model and price I should go after if it all checks out? I'm comfortable inspecting and checking out guitars as a long time CL hound for guitars, just new to Tokais. Any input is welcome. In the meantime I'll be scouring the 38 pages of the facts, theory, and photos thread ; )

Cheers, thank you,
    Adam

2. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp Senior Member

That is not a bad price, even if it is a 50 or 60. In general I'd say just look for the usual things you'd look for on a guitar (fret wear, any evidence of wood cracking, neck straightness, truss rod functionality) and, of course, figure out whether the guitar speaks to you.

One caveat, though; shouldn't that have a serial number on the back of the headstock?

3. XpensiveWino

I thought so too regarding the serial number. Not sure if it's the light/camera angle or what. I'll send a follow up message to the seller. What's the word on the top? Veneer? Also the fretboard, rosewood?

4. Whoopysnorp

Fingerboard is rosewood, yes. Looking more closely at the photos I see it's a 3-piece top, which would make it a 50, and not a veneer. With that in mind you might see if you can get it for $700.

5. RyanC

RyanC I'm Ryan... I'm an AVH Premium Member

$700 tops, imho

6. XpensiveWino

Oh cool, I saw the three pieces and didn't even think about meaning no veneer. Duh. I'll see what I can do. It'll be Tuesday before I can make a move. Maybe he'll be softer on price by then ; )

7. Guitarzandstuff

Guitarzandstuff Senior Member

What's up with those inlays? Not the first I've seen them but certainly strange looking...

8. Whoopysnorp

Yeah those inlays are odd. At first I thought it was just the lighting, but looking closer, that's not any material I'm aware of Tokai having used at that time. Maybe they got replaced?