Tokai Reborn Old evaluation

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Codename505, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Codename505

Codename505 Junior Member

Hi,

I need help evaluating my Tokai Reborn Old.

IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1043.JPG
    IMG_1048.JPG

My parents bought me this Tokai Reborn Old in 1980 or so in Japan. I only played it for a year to learn. A year later I bought another guitar which has become my favorite. Since then, this Tokai had been sitting in my parents' closet for over 36 years until I picked it up and I brought it to NY where I live last year.

I would say this guitar is in a pretty good condition for a 37 old years guitar. There are small dents and scratches, nothing too deep. I think some can be buffed out. The chrome at the edge of endpiece is peeled off a little bit. Screws are kind of rusty. I guess those could be replaced easily. Electronics works fine and pickups are original and it sounds great. Frets are good, but it could use some polishing.

serial #0008163, "60" is stamped on the end of the fretboard.

I am not particularly attached to this guitar. Since I have many other guitars, I'm ready to sell it if it is worth something.

Here's the thing. I have no idea if this guitar is worth anything. I've only found out recently that some people see some values in Tokai Reborn Old.

Could someone please tell me how much this guitar could be worth? I guess I wouldn't bother selling it for a few hundred bucks. I just don't know what I should expect of this. So, I want to hear some opinions from Tokai experts.

I have a bunch of photos here.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/102dnh8h71xriyu/AADELJdhwDxhudiuFDpOmSO0a?dl=0

thanks very much!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    GammyBird likes this.
  2. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

Lots of information about these if you dig around a little.

The basics is that it's a 1980 Tokai LS-60. I'm pretty sure the LS-60s were solid plain tops, though it looks like yours has some cool and unique birdseye figuring to it. My guess as to value would be around $1,000 give or take based on the few listings I can find and even fewer sold listings. Maybe a little more due to the figured top if it is, in fact, solid and doesn't have a veneer.

I'm sure if I'm off base with my opinions, other members will swoop in quickly to correct me.

Codename505 likes this.
  3. Codename505

great. thanks currypowder. very encouraging! I see more Love Rock models for sale. but less Reborn Old. But I guess because they didn't produce many Reborn Old, right?

4. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

That's right. In 1980, they briefly changed the name from Les Paul Reborn to Reborn Old before changing again mid 1980 to Love Rock. There have been some special runs over the past few years that have reprised the Reborn Old name. I have one from 2015.

5. Codename505

very interesting!

now, this might have to be a different thread. but how do I go about selling a guitar like this? I guess I can simply post this on ebay or Reverb. But I usually get skeptical of an individual selling vintage guitars. I'm guessing it would be a good idea to sell it with a respected consignment dealer. I wouldn't mind it even though I would gain less. Are there any honest dealers out there who would know the value of Tokai guitars? (I'm based in NYC btw.)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017