Today was a good day

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by archey, Feb 16, 2018.

1. archey

archey Senior Member

It's hard to see the grain in the pics. Is it mostly flat or quarter sawn?

2. tabascom16

tabascom16 Member

Predominantly flat sawn. Noticeably flat sawn in the middle and getting noticeably more rift sawn out towards the edges. These piece were all slab cut somewhere out from the middle of the log. I myself am ok using whatever grain orientation for fretboards.

3. archey

archey Senior Member

Same here. Especially when it comes to Brazilian.

4. w666

w666 Senior Member

Are those your reclaimed banks listed on FB?

5. archey

archey Senior Member

Sorry man I just read this. Yes those are mine, from the dresser's sides.

6. w666

w666 Senior Member

Awesome...good luck! I hope you're saving the best ones for yourself.

archey likes this.
  7. tabascom16

tabascom16 Member

Reviving an old thread, but it seems the best place to put it. So I ponied up and went a long way to get this, but it is finally home. An antique dining table, approximately 106" long by 48" wide with both leaves in it, and all 1" thick. Even the frame underneath is solid rosewood. I put the Gibbys on there for a size reference (one is an Epiphone).

I have absolutely no intentions of cutting this up. It will be dined on for decades to come. Getting into this guitar stuff only made me appreciate Brazilian rosewood, and the rarity and value in it. It is made up of nice wide boards, with 2 over 16" wide.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    archey and dickjonesify like this.
  8. archey

archey Senior Member

So you're the guy! What are you gonna do with the rest of it? It was a whole living room set wasn't it?

9. archey

archey Senior Member

I think actually you found a different one. There was one for sale that was part of a whole dining room set. All solid brw. I was too slow on the draw and missed it. The table you have looks like the same builder, or style at least. Definitely from Brazil. Probably from the 1930s or so. Cool find!

[​IMG]

10. tabascom16

tabascom16 Member

I haven't set the buffet up yet. Putting it all back together is a little bit of a challenge for a few people to take care of. The buffet is much bigger than the pictures would lead you to believe. It's top is also an 1" thick and made from 3 long boards, then has some additional 1" thick pieces around the perimeter to build up a lip on the underside. Even the headboard of the buffet is a single thick plank of rosewood.

As was stated, what you can typically see is solid rosewood. Not a single piece of veneer anywhere. Looks like the backs and some of the interior is made of mahogany.

For decades Archie, it was right in your backyard in Cincinnati, and eventually moved to Florida.

Attached Files:

archey likes this.
  11. archey

archey Senior Member

Oh it is the same! I gave that dude my contact info incase the buyer (you) wanted to sell any part of it. You got the deal of a lifetime.

12. archey

archey Senior Member

I'm glad to hear you aren't cutting it up. That set is far too nice. Enjoy it!