To T-Top or not?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by crosstownblues, Apr 23, 2013.

1. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

My pre-Norlin T-Top sounds fantastic and I wouldn't compare it to a PAF sound anymore than I would my Seymour Duncan JB. They are just different, tonally.

bulletproof likes this.
  2. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

It roughly takes four to five days for the UOA5 and at least a week for the A3 to fully permeate the components, stabilizing the new magnetic circuit.

HTH,

3. crosstownblues

crosstownblues Wraptail Fan Premium Member

Good to know. 24 hours down, 96 hours to go...

Still hesitating on the neck pickup as I waffle between wanting to use the T-Top and swapping out the BB1 magnet. Further, the choice between A3 and A4 complicates things. The BB1 sounds sweet in the upper registers, but flabby down low. I guess that's the A2 thing? If the A3 offers more treble and less bass than the stock A2, that would be my ideal outcome.

Looks like the A3 will swap in at the next string change.

T-Tops are going to have to wait a bit, though I did nab a pair of nickel silver 49.2mm covers off eBay just in case they were needed. :hmm:

4. wallym

wallym Senior Member

Steady on Dougie.... some of us have t-tops we'll be selling soon :cool:

No, I believe that they are old and therefore have a certain... 'mystique' that cannot possibly be recreated in today's modern world.

They
    are extremely good value for money
    are the next best thing to vintage PAFs
    add mojo by the bucket load
    increase the value of any guitar they are fitted to
    and
    will turn your guitar a 'tone monster'

1969 weatherman likes this.
  5. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

This is a really nice collection of buzz-words you've got here, wallym.

So, now that you are using'em, can you be so kind of define "mojo by the bucketload" for me?

Thanks in advance,

6. wallym

wallym Senior Member

Corrected

No, I believe that they are old and therefore have a certain... 'mystique' that cannot possibly be recreated in today's modern world.

They
    are extremely good value for money
    are the next best thing to vintage PAFs
    add mojo by the bucket load
    increase the value of any guitar they are fitted to
    and
    will turn your guitar a 'tone monster'

Is that better?

1969 weatherman likes this.
  7. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

My past experiences with T-Tops had been boring or negative. Then, recently, I've played the stock neck T-Top of a SG built in 1970. This PU was incredibly transparent and open sounding. It's simply the second best sounding humbucker I've EVER played.
    It was a pat sticker model.
    And I'd never swap its mag...

So... maybe it would be interesting to hear how the PU sounds before to swap anything? :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    northernguitarguy, LPSGME and wulfman like this.
  8. crosstownblues

The bridge BB2 pickup has now had four days to acquaint itself with the UOA5 magnet. There is definitely more body/girth to the pickup now (low/low mids). I always roll the tone control back, but the highs were a bit shrill with the original magnet. Played through a TopHat King Royale (AC30TB-ish) head and open back TopHat cab with a V30 and Celestion Gold, the highs seemed to fit better in the overall sound, whereas before they dominated it. With the tone control rolled back about 1/2 way, and the volume down to 5, it's crisp and spanky - not muddy at all. Of course, the 50's wiring, PIO caps, RS 550k pots help some... Turn it up past 8 and it begins to sing as the tone thickens up.

The neck BB1 pickup is still too bassy for me, so it will get the A3 magnet swap on the next string change. I'm looking forward to that!

As for the T-Tops, they will wait until the following string change. Most likely I will start with installing the neck pickup - as much for respecting the prevailing sentiment as for the fond memories I have of the neck tones that came from my first LP. I won't magnet swap them, figuring they've made it this far without being molested, why start now? However, if I really like it I might have to change out the chrome cover(s) in favor of nickel, like the rest of the guitar. Being the pack rat that I am, the original cover will be identified and stored, so it can always be restored. The key is to avoid high heat by using a good iron, a solder sucker, and working quickly.

Will try to get some clips done Sunday.

9. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Please, PM me that.

Pretty please...? :wave:

VictorB likes this.
  10. crosstownblues

Well, it's been over a week now. Took the guitar to rehearsal, played through my modded Spitfire clone (mounted in Marshall 18w combo cab. with 12" Weber Blue Alnico). What a surprise to me! The BB2 w/UOA5 magnet sounded very similar to stock when rolled back, but thickened up substantially when turned all the way up - really adding mids starting at @ 8. The amp is pretty clean (pedal friendly) and has a somewhat bright tone, with shimmering highs and round lows. The mids are more Fender-like, so I was surprised to hear such rich, thick sounds coming out of it. I didn't even use a distortion pedal, the notes were liquid and singing - but not from saturated preamp distortion. There was still plenty of note definition, and it would clean up nicely by using attack or volume control. I'm hoping to burn through this set of strings quickly in order to drop the A3 in the neck pickup. At the same time, Retrospec vintage length posts/inserts will be installed.

11. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Does the statement "is the same, but better" rings a bell? ;)

Are the pots and caps the originals that came with the guitar or you put good ones, wired independent '50s?

12. crosstownblues

Yes, that is exactly how I would term it.

Though it's an '11, I replaced the stock pots with RS Superpots; the caps were upgraded to PIO (.022uf and .015uf); wiring is 50's style, so independent in middle position unless one is turned to zero (all the way off), then no output.

Works for me...

13. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Great! You only need to put the A3 in the BB1 and see how you like it.

Yours truly,

14. jasyr

jasyr Member

I know this is a 5 year old thread, but i've been researching this. Over 30 posts with not one "yes"?

There's loads of un-covered T's out there and NO ONE has tried this? WTF.

I agree with Dougie in the sense that these are not imbued with pixie dust. OK, 60's i"d not f*** with... but 70s-80s T-Tops are a diminishing case of returns and just looking at them as special is a joke. "Don't pop the covers!" ... wow, we are not talking 50's pafs people.

Please, anyone out there that has actually been CRAZY enough to have thrown caution to the wind?

15. northernguitarguy

Some of the prices asked are indeed ludicrous. However, for playing Hard Rock, IMO, the T-Tops rule.

16. Iron Blimp

Iron Blimp Senior Member

image.jpeg T-Tops are my favorite.

17. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

IMO magnets will not "acclimate" on the pickup, and yes, the change in sound while changing magnets is little, noticeable but litlle. As a tigher bottom when changing a2 to a5, but the natural sound of the pickup will remains. If is good will be good with the change, if it´s not...
    I would sell all of them, the BB´s and the T-tops and get a nice boutique as Wizz, Throbak´s or wathever in this ballpark to a nice R9.

18. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

IMO, BB's are just too overwound. Then throw in the A2 mag and you got a great, big 'ole pile of mush at higher volumes. I also couldn't agree more with the statement that PAF's and T-Tops are totally different animals.

bulletproof likes this.
  19. crosstownblues

For the past few years, a set of ECP RD59/Revival pickups have resided in the R9. They provide the note separation, the clarity, the depth, and a certain sweetness that I like in a Les Paul. The BB1 & BB2 pickups are stashed away for safekeeping - though there was a certain quality to the BB2 w/UOA5 magnet that I liked. It may find it's way into another guitar. I have not had the opportunity to play any of the recent Custombuckers, but my current thinking on non-vintage Gibson pickups is they are a baseline pickup. While occasionally exceptional, it is more likely that you will get average/decent.

The T-Tops have been sitting in a test guitar for a while, waiting for their moment...

bulletproof likes this.
  20. northernguitarguy

What is the modern Gibson equivalent to a T-Top?

bulletproof likes this.