To Bee or not to Bee?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by efstop, Feb 12, 2018.

1. efstop

efstop Gold Supporter

The answer: Two Bees! A King Bee and a Worker Bee. No one on the forum has posted about these so I googled and found that they have good specs and good reviews. Yes, they're strange, but I like quirky and stylish and my ears have been assaulted by driving a diesel van for a long time, so...yeah.

Long & McQuade had already discounted them by 33%, but during the local store's inventory sale I offered them 50% off retail and they took it. $595 for the mics, $58 for two cables, but I bought the works for $358 plus the honorarium for the feds and the province.

Neat is a Gibson brand, so I'm sure they're awful...
    but I don't give a shit. I didn't want SM57s and 58s and didn't want to be too spendy.

While I'm here, I'll say that I alone am responsible for the mixer table. The big crate was sitting on the upside down smaller one but it was a waste of space, so I added the strangely shaped "legs". Now I have storage in both crates and the smaller one slides under the bigger one. The last pic is of the Neat Microphone Bee engineers that were included in the price. I need all the help I can get.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone reads this and cares, the board was posted about earlier. It's a Mackie MixFX12.

DarrellV likes this.
  2. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Premium Member

I gave it a like on style, savings, saavy, and do it yourselfness!

The don't give a rat's a$$ at the end was a nice touch to end with.... Big like!

So, OP, how do you like them? Do they work for you as good as you hoped?

Do they sound really good, and let the haters hate?!

Enquiring minds want to know...

efstop likes this.
  3. efstop

efstop Gold Supporter

My only other mics are weird Shure dynamics (PE515, and a PE5EQ with EQ filters on the body) from the '70s. The Bees are much more sensitive. I don't have to lean the acoustic into the mic. To me they sound good but I expected condenser mics on phantom power was gonna be an improvement. Clean and clear. It helps that I also have a modern mixer now.

DarrellV likes this.