Titanium Stopbar and/or Bridge

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by johnpaulmlp, Aug 12, 2016.

1. johnpaulmlp

johnpaulmlp Junior Member

What are the opinions out there regarding Titanium Stopbars with or without Titanium Bridges.

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Its a bridge made out of a very expensive material to work.

like all materials, its will have a certain tone profile that could work with your guitar, or might not. The point at which you will know whether it works with your individual instrument also coincides with the point where it will be impossible to get a refund if it doesn't.

3. TiSonix

TiSonix Junior Member

Some customer reviews can been seen on the product page for our Titanium Stop Bar Tailpiece.

Players like Ken Susi (Unearth) and Scott Dalhover (Dangerous Toys) have this tailpiece on their respective guitars and have given positive feedback.

Billy Gibbons also has a few of our Titanium tailpieces on his Bolin guitars, both custom engraved. One is engraved with "Reverend", the other is engraved with a graphic design that matches the guitar.

With regard to a tone profile, I can say this as someone that has paid for (bought) titanium and brass from multiple vendors for my own guitars: titanium is more about transparency. Some materials will "color", or come between the energy of the strings and the wood. Titanium lets it pass through will far less, if any, coloring. Where as some can call titanium "bright", what is really going on is that the previous hardware was darkening the tone.

darthphineas likes this.
  4. howlermonkey

howlermonkey Senior Member

You will gain nothing by using titanium other than wear resistance.

5. kiko

kiko Senior Member

I think titanium is just a bit over the top. Just my 2 cents.

6. TiSonix

TiSonix Junior Member

We should be having a giveaway of some Gibson-related parts in September. Keep an eye out and perhaps the winner(s) can offer their experiences.

darthphineas likes this.
  7. masterglazier

masterglazier Junior Member

More open tone. And undeniable weight loss. I vote yes.

8. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

Not very empirically robust but Johan recently concluded there was no real difference in tone.

However it is, as mentioned above, unquestionably lighter.

9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ Yeah......trying it on one guitar and making any legit claim based on that is very poor scientific method indeed. You can however say for that guitar there seems no difference.

spitfire likes this.
  10. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

This is the issue with so many subtle mods. Though perhaps this isn't subtle. I['m just assuming it is.

Assuming it is, even if you did this on ten guitars, the sample size is just too small to draw real conclusions. Was it the bridge material, or one of a dozen other things on the guitar? Throw in that our hearing is known to be extremely biased based on expectations and it is all but impossible to say from personal experience. It would require a statistically significant double blind test to say for sure.

In the end, bridge and tail piece are certainly part of the guitar in the critical path of the string behavior. So it is reasonable to expect a difference is possible. But I also think that if the difference is that much in question, there are probably other places to change first if searching for tone.

Probably 99% of what we mod in our guitars and rigs is pretty unimportant. We'd probably all be better musicians if went spent more time learning to play better, rather than worrying about these things. But we do it anyway becasue it is fun. This is no different.

I think it would be a mistake to expect some profound change, so I wouldn't do it if that was the reason. But, hey it's f-ing titanium, that's cool in it's own way.

C.J. likes this.
  11. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Compared to most of the tail/bridge/saddle parts, yup! But, titanium isn't so much "strong" as it is "light". Its very lightweight for its strength. Its lighter than Zamac (by far) and heavier than aluminum. Yes I know Ti bike frames are light than Al bike frames, but that's because they have to use more Aluminum for the same strength. In a fixed size part, like guitar parts, Ti is heavier than Al.

Can't say what sounds best. Too many variables.

12. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I think the path of updating is worthwhile, but there is no choice of 'only 1'.....like as soon as you buy a different part that physically makes it unable to practice more.
    Personally even small changes to guitars that make them fractionally better can inspire......and that I find to be the best motivation. Just playing around with something that might make the treble a little less bitey....or the mids hit the amp in a more pleasing way.....or both at the same time. I've lost count of the times for example I've moved pickups between guitars just trying to find 'the' best host for them. Just a couple of weeks back I took a set out of one and put it into another.....and did the reverse to the first host. I now find both guitars more inspiring as both tones fractionally make me want to play the 2 guitars more.

13. howlermonkey

howlermonkey Senior Member

I would think the mass of the tune-o-matic and the nut would have the biggest effect on sustain/sound and that the stopbar has little effect.

I would go as heavy as possible on the components at each end of the string.

If you're set on a space age alloy, why not leapfrog titanium and go to beryllium.

C.J. likes this.