Tips on how to relic/age a road worn strat

Discussion in 'Fender' started by eddiepj10, Dec 2, 2009.

1. masliko

masliko Senior Member

To bad its fake and has no story,except you paid a lot of money to look old at some guys store.I'm usually not very nasty but its weird when you meet someone(or read a post) and you know that you are totally on different pages.

By the way,i don't hate relic'ing and fake as much as the people who own them or make them.I always have hated fake people and yuppie dickheads,in fact alot of musicians still do!

1 person likes this.
  2. matt@msscguitar

matt@msscguitar www.MSSCGuitar.com Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

EXCELLENT contribution :rolleyes:

5 people like this.
  3. Mitzu

Mitzu Member

This was almost one year old, and you commented to tell everyone you don't like their guitars?

2 people like this.
  4. matt@msscguitar

matt@msscguitar www.MSSCGuitar.com Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

So true! :laugh2:

5. SGMM

SGMM Senior Member

Nothing quite brings out the jackasses & ignorant comments like a relic thread....& again I say: "sigh"....

6. frankthomson

frankthomson Senior Member

OP.....that gave me a chubby.

thank you.

7. Comanche

Comanche Senior Member

Play it for twenty years.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mitzu

Mitzu Member

If I can express my point of view...

Many bring out the "would you buy a wrecked car and pay more" point, which is pretty legit, if we don't consider THAT THESE ARE GUITARS AND NOT CARS.
    Furthermore, explain this.

[​IMG]

Do you think they couldn't re-paint the whole thing and getting it shiny and new-looking? It works perfectly, yet it looks used and abused. And these things don't come by cheap.

We are a small group of guitarists, which is a small group of musicians, inside the huge group of artists, that enjoy old-looking things. That's why we prefer Les Pauls to the latest Gilbert Ibanez - or whatever he plays, great musicians but not my thing.

In the end, there's a small group of people who like this 50s vibe guitars, and like them relic'd. So what.

Life's too short to get mad for other's choices.
    We have so much to be mad about by ourselves :D

9. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Welcome to the forum.

2 people like this.
  10. SGMM

SGMM Senior Member

eddiepj10 spent his hard earned $$ on the guitar he wants because he prefers the feel & look of a worn guitar....he has not misrepresented the guitar or claimed it is anything it is not....the only "dickhead" here is you....

3 people like this.
  11. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Wild Grizzly artificial insemination attempt?...

12. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

What will a heavy relic'd guitar look like when it actually becomes a relic?

13. fett

fett Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I have to understand this. I have lots of guitars. I buy Used ones. I read the description and I see the pics. The seller will point out some little dings and paint chips. Lots of buyers will pass on it. Ergo, it sells for less. It's not pristine.:thumb: You want or will make it "Road Worn". :shock:

1 person likes this.
  14. kuddelmuddelful

kuddelmuddelful Member

You're right,
    but also this strat really looks cool ;)

15. CHUNKYNECK

CHUNKYNECK Senior Member

There will always be those guys that think that dark denim with the orange stitching and no wear looks cool. Also guys that wear pens tucked into their socks and a smart business shirt with shorts.:laugh2: I don't hate those guys by the way. Just think they look funny.

Guitars can look cool regardless of mint or relic. People who crap on about what they think everyone else should like based on what they like are deluded.

I can picture a room full of them now all playing the same guitars and the same song. :Ohno::iough:

1 person likes this.
  16. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

My opinion (and I'm entitled to it so please don't be unnecessarily rude to me) is that there's something very special about a guitar that has aged gracefully and over time where every mark tells a story. That same look that is artificial is the antithesis of graceful and is the equivalent of hiring a session player to record for you and then claiming the work as your own. Fake aged guitars have NO mojo and detract from instruments that ARE genuinely aged. EARN the look, DON'T purchase the look because it's cheating!

2 people like this.
  17. CHUNKYNECK

CHUNKYNECK Senior Member

I appreciate a proper aged guitar too. I can't afford a real 60's strat. I like the look of real 60's strats more than the modern style strats. I've wanted a real 60's strat for over 30 years but can't afford one and refuse to pay the current prices for one. That leaves 2 options if you want to stick to fender made guitars. Buy a new mint un reliced re issue or buy a reliced re issue or copy if you prefer.

I own a road worn oly white 60's strat. It was the cheapest option to get what I wanted. After playing it for 5 years I still love it. It has a nitro finish which I prefer over poly, looks like my favourite strats from the 60's and didn't cost anywhere near the same as an original. It has wear from me playing it and looks different to when it was new. The finish has yellowed and stained from arm wear. I didn't fake that. If you buy an original now the wear is someone elses. Does that make you a fake?:dunno:

If you play a mint real 60's strat does that mean you are a flake because it has no wear so probably lived in it's case its whole life?
    I'm in the rats ass club and play what I like.:thumb:

2 people like this.
  18. ArrogantBastard

ArrogantBastard Senior Member

Have to say, the douchenozzle hit it on the head. He may have been a real dick with the way he put it, but he's got a point. Age your guitar(s) by playing them.
    I had a fella ask me if I relic'd my 52 RI tele or if it was just from playing. I said, "dude, that's just from going on the road and being played." Poor thing has some nasty scars. Even a small chunk taken out of it. I don't intentionally try to beat the living hell out of it, but as the years pass, the guitar does age, and things happen. That is simply how it works. I don't keep my guitars in glass cases. They are meant to be played. I am also the same putz who keeps my guitars near me after I play a set. Amps and such I know are heavy enough that I can spot a fool trying to cart them off. Not to mention they're in a huge case w/rackmount. My guitars could be walked off with. So, there you have it. My $.02.

19. retrobob

retrobob Senior Member

Well, there must be a market for fake aged guitars.
    Fender has certainly sold a ton of Relic and roadworn guitars.
    And then there are Nash and others.

If you don't like the Relic guitars, you can always take your real 1960 Strat out on a gig, and worry it may get stolen or damaged, and devalued.

But to get back to the OP question." Tips on how to relic a road worn."

First of all the Roadworn bodies are sprayed with lacquer to start with.
    So they will look more correct than any poly body.
    The trouble with roadworns are, they all have the same fake looking wear marks.
    If your handy with an airbrush and some lacquer paint. You can spray back the fake looking parts, and do a better job.

When doing rub throughs, I wouldn't use straight lacquer thinner. It will take the finish off in a hurry. Use some acetone if you need to cut through fast.
    Other than that, fine sandpaper to start, followed by denatured alcohol. Then rubbing, polishing compound.

This is my favorite strat. Its loaded with custom shop Abby 69s and has a Steel trem block. It resonates like crazy and fits like a glove.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Meepers

Meepers Senior Member

I know this thread started 5 years ago. But it brought back memories of a kid I use to work with asking me to "relic" an S type for him. This was probably 2004-05. I literally stripped it down, sat on the body and had another friend drag me down the sidewalk. I then set the top on fire, shot it with a BB gun, threw some wrenches at it, and eventually took a razor blade to the body to give it a ware pattern where the right arm would rest. I had a blast destroying his guitar for him. He put a Fender neck on it and loved it. It did not look good, and I really wasn't trying to make it look good. I just did things to it I would never do to a guitar I owned. I believe he had me to another one a year later. I didn't get to crazy with that one. But man that gold S type was run to ruin.