Tips on how to relic/age a road worn strat

Discussion in 'Fender' started by eddiepj10, Dec 2, 2009.

1. eddiepj10

eddiepj10 Senior Member

Hey everyone. I'm going to purchase a 60's road worn strat and I wanna age it even further to make it look like the hottest Strat ever, in my opinion, Mike Mccready's 1959 sunburst... Any tips on how I may best go about getting the results that I'm after??? Here are some pics of the results that I am chasing...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated...

retrobob likes this.
  2. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Good lord!

Just take out the electronics and drag it behind a truck down a dirt road. :rofl:

3. jomo

jomo V.I.P. Member

Wrap sand paper around your arms, and waist and play it a bunch. :laugh2:

4. eddiepj10

eddiepj10 Senior Member

Worth considering...:laugh2:

I have no experience at all doing this sort of stuff on purpose. My Les Paul is aging nicely, but all its dings and fading and wear are from playing and gigging.

5. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Scrape, scuff, and bump it in to shit. That is how the original got its marks - try to recreate it.

I didn't go quite that far with my Roadworn - but I did a bit extra to it as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. eddiepj10

eddiepj10 Senior Member

Looks sweet diceman. Thanks for the tip man.

7. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Take your pick and just scrape back and forth above pickguard like you were playing.

Or you could try and create something I had in mind... something like a wirebrush for a drill, but instead of wire it's made of picks. :thumb:

DaveThePius and pnuggett like this.
  8. eddiepj10

eddiepj10 Senior Member

The pick idea is great. Don't mind the drill either, but didn't Paul Gilbert do something like that once... :hmm:

9. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

I just like the idea of creating an attachment for a drill that is covered with picks with the point out like you were playing. With a high enough powered drill you could simulate thousands of passes of the pick in minutes.

:hmm:

10. eddiepj10

eddiepj10 Senior Member

Would sound cool.....

11. BUDOKAI

BUDOKAI Senior Member

That would actually work, do it!

12. DRF

DRF Senior Member

What! really? seriously! holy shit! wtf? So these bench...errr I mean "road" worn thingies need to be reliced even more?

Sorry I couldnt resist.

Anyway,I saw a New Jeep at a local dealership that was reliced from the factory,to give the impression that the new owner is a die hard,care free off-roader. It had dents,mud,bald tires,300k showing etc etc. I wonder if these will catch on?

13. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Yeah yeah yeah, thanks for your insight. :rolleyes: I have a rack full of vintage Fenders and Gibsons which are well worn, and guitars I've owned since new which are well worn as well. And, I have one relic. What is your point?

Eddie - for the pick wear, I ran my pick back and forth over the finish like I do when I play (I'm a pick dragger - the finish on my R8 is worn through on the edges). I then took some steel wool and went over that same spot (same direction) until some finish started coming off - and left it at that. The buckle rash was done with a belt buckle. I did some hot/cold checking as well (cold outdoors to warm indoors, etc.). Bumps and bruises from furniture, and a few random blunt objects. Some sun fading as well (maybe 20 hours total).

With any luck, a few more people will stop by with some wise cracks.

14. r9in09

r9in09 Senior Member

Diceman has some good tips I'd say. One thing to consider instead of using sandpaper is to use lacquer thinner on a q-tip to bring the wood through without affecting the immediate area surrounding the "wear". This is key to making it look natural vs. sanded down.

otherwise just lug it around with you for a while without a case - that works well and is technically "natural"

15. DRF

DRF Senior Member

+1 :laugh2: I know people take this relic business seriously,which is why its so irresistable...to make...cracks ha ha

pnuggett likes this.
  16. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

:shock:

If any other Strat on the wall - American included - played and sounded half as nice as this Roadworn of mine, it would have come home with me instead!

I've got a couple of WB rewound 1966 Fender Duo-Sonic pickups in that Strat of mine, and a DiMarzio Blue Velvet in the middle position. I had a very nice American Vintage series Strat as well - I traded it off a while back since it didn't hold a candle to this Roadworn.

Maybe I should refinish all of my vintage guitars so that I can put some honest wear on them myself......... :hmm:

homenote likes this.
  17. eddiepj10

eddiepj10 Senior Member

This is great guys. Thanks for all the advice so far. I'm looking forward to starting the project.... Nearly ready to buy the guitar....

18. rybass

rybass Senior Member

19. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Ask MJKalman:

[​IMG]

QuicksilverSS likes this.
  20. brianugly

brianugly Senior Member

Interesting how the headstock is pristine...:hmm: