Tips for buying things on Web Auctions (no names!)

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by ptate, Mar 26, 2007.

1. paulfan

paulfan Junior Member

Where did you read that, in the ebay faq? Could you post link if you remember? I am looking to make my first purchase on the bay and was thinking to save on shipping cost this way... (I was looking at this one = Gibson Epiphone Les Paul Studio Guitar Sunburst Clean No Reserve | eBay

2. jhun1976

jhun1976 Senior Member

3. Woderwick

Woderwick Senior Member

If I can't collect and pay cash on collection, I wait for the next one. It takes a while, but it happens eventually.

4. fett

fett Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I have been using ebay since 1997. Maybe earlier. Depends on the user name I used. My user name has stayed the same since 1999. I have a cool story about when I worked at a thrift store. I'll save that for later. Anyway, do I any Tips? Not in a nutshell.

5. Xpensive Wino

Xpensive Wino Premium Member

Wanted an original case for my '59 Junior, found 1 on Fleabay, bought it for $99 + shipping - the Buy It now price...asked the seller not to require a sig for the package since it isn't necessary where I live and would be a major hassle...so he cancels the deal and re lists the case for.... $189 + shipping.

Wanna bet he won't insist on a signature for delivery at that price? :hmm:

6. rockinroll

rockinroll Banned

GREAT advice. It's commonsense, but as you alluded to, sometimes we don't think with our brains

7. rockinroll

rockinroll Banned

Two other points: 1)as a seller, if the buyer picks it up, there is no paper trail indicating that the buyer took delivery but if you ship it, there is a tracking #; 2)there can be safety issues for both parties

8. atop

atop Senior Member

General protection policies related.

Lot's of posts lately complaining protections are too far skewed towards buyers. My view....

Everything looked good on a recent Reverb listing, except the seller stating in description: "If buyer request shipping, buyer assumes all risk in shipping and releases seller from any and all liability from any damages that may accrue during shipping. Any insurance claims will be between you the buyer and the shipping carrier. I will not refund due to shipping damages. All paper work will between you the buyer and fedex."

Um...common to ALL carriers is whoever drops off the box and pays for the shipping label has the option to purchase insurance against shipping damage at the time, or not. Recipient/buyer is not a party to seller/carrier agreements or responsible to buy optional insurance coverage. Ever.

Seller is responsible for Buyer receiving item in "as described" condition. If buyer receives an item damaged in shipping, or damaged because sellers dog takes a piss on it between final pics and shipping, it really doesn't matter.

Reverb rep assured me a seller cannot change or void policies by adding their own language to a description. He specifically said if item arrives in different as described condition, for any reason including shipping damage, they WILL resolve the problem if parties can't work it out on their own.

Carried on with the transaction, not arguing about the shipping damage bit with seller after getting Reverb assurances. No problems or need for Reverb to get involved in the end.

Point is, after excellent communication with Reverb, I bought with confidence, regardless what seller wrote in his listing.

Different, recent situation where a seller sent a half stack described "Excellent" but was "Poor" at best. Seriously, someone had used the cab for bb gun target practice. No lie. Seller blamed it on the shipper, telling me to file a claim with UPS to get my money back.

Quick chat with Reverb rep, who said they would contact seller for me. Seller then emails me all pissed and aggressive, telling me how I should just be happy, and if not, to just re sell it to get my money back. Best belly laugh I've had in a while!

After recovering, chatted with Reverb, who assured me they would refund my original purchase including shipping both ways from their own funds if necessary, should seller continue to refuse.

Very next day Reverb pays for and emails me the shipping labels to print off, having fully insured the item. Of course, seller ends up refusing the return. Reverb refunds my monies in full promptly, from their own funds, and say they will deal with it from here on out.

So when I hear folks complain about protections being skewed towards the buyers benefit to seller's detriment, I see a basic flaw in that reasoning.

Policies intended to assure buyer confidence actually make the Sellers trust factor and reputation much more solid. It weeds out the worst seller offenders, and those that remain typically have multiple positive feedbacks and continue to conduct honest, straightforward transactions. It's a wise business policy that I'm quite thankful for, as seller or buyer.

Beware of any seller who complains, tries to alter protection policies in their listing or policy page and/or tries to take the deal off the listing site! There would be a reason for seller asking you to do that, and it's not for your benefit, for sure!

Thanks Reverb, et al

Sellers, keep on Selling!
    Buyers, keep on Buying!
    (Stevie Wonder rip off)

9. atop

atop Senior Member

Replied to a post on the e bay for sale thread earlier, comparing Reverb and e-bay....ended it with some tips intended to HELP SUPPORT TEAM to HELP US! Some have been mentioned a few times here already, but never hurts to read reminders on some of this stuff. Here goes:

Here's the basic steps I take to ensure support has the solid details/facts they need to help me or you, seller or buyer.

As a seller, be committed to "full disclosure." Take pains to point out minor cosmetic flaws that don't show well on the pics, etc. You may be hesitant, thinking such detailed disclosure will fetch a lower price. In my experience, many people "value" an honest description MORE than that minor scuff/play wear you are making certain buyer is aware of. I have never felt I lost $ because of a thorough and honest description. Never once.

Include serial number in your pics. If you are nervous about that, state pics w/serial number will be sent to winning bidder prior to shipping. When buyer sends pics of the run over by a truck condition item demanding a refund, it doesn't help the guy with his claim by him removing/altering the serial number, AFTER you documented it. (Yes, that happened to me before I started sending pics w/serial number.)

In your listing, state if it isn't pictured, it's not included in the sale (things like foot switches for amps, dust covers, case candy, etc.)

Be clear if you offer a return policy, better yet for private sellers, offer no returns except in cases of shipping damages or significantly not as described, and require (in your listing) buyer keep the shipping box and packing materials in the case of shipping damage. If buyer discards them, you will not be able to collect on an insurance claim if the claims inspector can't verify how it was packed and can see, in person, evidence of damage caused by shipping. Even multiple HQ pics of how you packed it, etc, without the box and shipping materials, will do you no good (again, learned from experience.)

Always use the sites internal e mail system, from start to finish. When buyer/seller gives you the story how hard it is for them to log in and use Reverb's or PayPals e mail, let's switch over to private email, then balks when you say that's not how you rollÂ….walk away from the deal. There WILL be another one. Rock On!

10. funder

funder Junior Member

Always my policy.