Tips for buying things on Web Auctions (no names!)

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by ptate, Mar 26, 2007.

1. GuitarGal

GuitarGal Senior Member

Bingo~ ;)

2. Kramble

Kramble Senior Member

If in doubt ask for a picture of the serial with seller ID / driving license card.
    That eliminates scammers selling with pictures of guitars they don't have in hands :applause:

For expensive gear ALWAYS verify the identity of the seller (name adress phone) before paying. Expensive is the amount you can't afford to lose.

For guitars ALWAYS ask if he knows how to pack (sending a LP tuned is a BAD thing).

3. lp junior freak

lp junior freak V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

now kramble i have a ? why is sending it tuned bad. just wondering if i sell:thumb:

4. Kramble

Kramble Senior Member

tuned=string pressure=broken head because weak point of a LP.
    You must loosen the strings before packing to reduce pressure.

5. TxMack

TxMack Senior Member

Okay...this goes back into the 'if they don't answer questions'.
    I put all the info a person needs to figure out the shipping...but I do not have time to get a shipping quote for everyone that asks. Now I don't mean when it's asked with other serious questions, but Do you guys answer every 'how much to Peoria' you get?

6. theworrierpoet

theworrierpoet Junior Member

I'm from the UK and I was looking at some Gibsons on the American Ebay site. Anyone know the score regarding importing them (they would be second hand)

7. loneguitar

loneguitar Senior Member

I always check with paypal and ebay to ensure it's them if I suspect it's not you write to spoof@ebay,com or the same with paypal, thanks for the tips all

8. Velvet Roses

Velvet Roses Senior Member

Wait, what if I put it back in the case tuned when I'm done, is that Okay?

9. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Lots of good advice and tips, guys!
    I get those 'second chance' offers and 'PayPal: Account suspended' messages all the time. I send them to eBay and PayPal 'spoof' addresses immediately.
    For my protection and the buyer/seller I am transacting with, I will NOT bid on an item if the seller does not accept PayPal, nor will I accept payment other than PayPal if I am selling.

10. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

11. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

What do you mean by that? Do you mean as a seller you get paypal scams?

Mark

12. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

I've gotten emails saying my Paypal account was suspended,or that they need to "update" it,so they need all my personal info.:rofl:

13. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

my tip....

never bid until the last minute. better yet the last 10 seconds.

2 reasons this is optimal.

1) you pay what you are willing to spend with no chance to second guess (spend more).
    2) you give the current bidder(s) zero chance to out dime you.

i have had much success.

Lowdown likes this.
  14. Kipp73

Kipp73 Senior Member

ask the seller to take specific photo's for you. eg, down the neck (check for bowing), closeups of bridge etc.

will give you faith in the item being purchased, faith in the seller, and a hard copy of the item should it arrive looking different.

15. rumbling_groover

rumbling_groover Senior Member

Always check the serials with the manufacturer. They should be able to tell you when it was made and what colour it was when it left the factory.

16. UITA

UITA Senior Member

Yes care should be taken but don't forget Ebay is set up for the buyer more so the seller. Negative feedback can and has been given too easy by buyers who try to try it on with the sellers after they have bought an item. I agree though wih the hidden feedback, don't get that one.

Can't work this one out. Location should have nothing to do with getting your money back, Ebay and Paypal are set up for any eventuality (yeah right). Are you saying if it goes "tit's up" you should become some kind of vigilante and visit the seller at home?

Credit crunch!!!!! Shit happens and sometimes you have to sell "the best" guitar.

Emailing is fine but like mad is a pain in the arse. I've had a lot of time wasted by the most inane of questions. I'm always polite but can sniff out a bullshitter.

Why the hell would I want a local pick up, I'm selling it on Ebay an auction site not in my local Craigslist/freeads/loot. This opens up a lot of problems for the seller such as time wasters, and hagglers. Don't forget if they turn up don't like it and don't want to pay you can't leave them negative.....but they can to you.

Some good points for the buyer but don't forget the seller needs to be aware as well.

slapshot likes this.
  17. UITA

UITA Senior Member

What's the difference with them being second hand? The score is that the exchange rate isn't the best at the moment so that goes against you, add the shipping and it's becoming more expensive obviously. The real expense is when it gets into the UK, you should budget for import duty, VAT, tax, couriers charges etc (not all the time mind you). All of a sudden that cheap LP ain't so cheap.

18. melrockLPF

melrockLPF Junior Member

MLP,

one of my favourite tips is to ask for a photo with a tag with my name placed on th strings above the pickups. Any legitimate seller will provide without any second thoughts if you are a legitimate buyer.It does not mean that you still wont have problems but it does eliminate a scammer who does not have the product as advertised.

Barry

19. Tons of Sobs

Tons of Sobs Senior Member

I'd echo that. Last August, when the exchange rate was very favourable - £1 = $1.90 - I bought an R9 from the US. Total cost in £GB was £2000. However when the Customs guys got hold of it, I was billed £475 in import duty.

Still saved myself about a grand over the shop price in the UK, but not as much as I had hoped.

Another warning though; I got lucky with my guitar, because it plays and sound wonderful. Had it been a pup, at best I'd have had to foot the bill for the import duty PLUS postage both ways; at worst, I'd have been stuck with a guitar I didn't like, and my R9 dream still not fulfilled.

Of course if the value of the guitar on the box is marked down really low, you would have less duty to pay.

It's a can of worms :hmm:

John

20. robb01

robb01 Member

great info in here, there is so many scams around its crazy

[​IMG]