'Time-Lapse' instrumental

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by FoodSexMusic, Mar 9, 2014.

1. FoodSexMusic

FoodSexMusic Banned

I thought the instrumental was very interesting. I must take a better in-depth look at it, but here are the parts that I'm stuck on so far!

At 0:35 it sounds the progression starts on a G as usual and then goes up to a Am and then to a Bm. Having said that, I don't even know if these are actually chords, but minor/major 3rd intervals taken from the chords. I am also very interested as to what the last chord is before the song changes at 0:47?

A very interesting transition at 3:50. A load of interesting chord movements between 3:50 and 4:25 which I get around to analyzing. And the progression from 6:38 to 7:00 sounds like G-C-Am-G, but yet quite different???????????

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwDC4GyxSRE"]California State Route 190. Time Lapse - YouTube[/ame]

Thank you[​IMG]

2. JonR

JonR Senior Member

Hmm, I'm drawn into the web like a fly to a spider again....

OK:

The first sequence is Em-G-D-Am.
    That goes 3 times, up to 0:35. Then it's Em-C-Bm-A. (ie, A major just before 0:47. It's that C# that's catching you ear ;).)
    At 0:47 it goes back to the Em-G-D-Am sequence.

Haven't checked 3:50 etc yet.

From 6:38, it's E-A-C#m-A, from a quick play along, but there may be some other extensions on the chords (eg maj7 on the A).

3. JonR

JonR Senior Member

The change at 3:50 is from F#m to F.
    The rising melody in the previous 2 bars (D and F#m chords) is
    |D-E-F#-G#|A-B-C#-D|
    IOW, A major scale, which makes the move to F even more marked.

The same rising melody occurs earlier at 3:22, and at 3:27 resolves (from F#m) into a C major. C and Em chords then alternate before the D-F#m bars return, this time going to F at 3:50.

You're right the chords from 3:50-4:25 are interesting.... Are you going to "get around to analyzing" them? Or do you want me to tell you and spoil your fun??? ;)

4. FoodSexMusic

FoodSexMusic Banned

Thanks a lot,

It was easier than I thought. Just used to it with a guitar sound. They seem to be F C D# A# C# G# G#m D#m up until 4:13, but I'm a bit stuck after that???

5. JonR

JonR Senior Member

Yes, that's right, except I prefer to call them F C Eb Bb Db Ab - fewer accidentals to consider if writing it out, and also it reveals the pattern of descending whole steps (in pairs) better. (Bb chords are very common; I don't think I've ever seen an A# chord, although technically it could occur in the key of D# minor; it would have a Cx (double sharp) note in it. ;))
    The last two could be G#m D#m or Abm Ebm: fairly equal numbers of sharps/flats to consider, but if I'm calling the previous chord Ab major, then Abm makes more sense.
    Similar idea: the previous four chords a half-step up:
    D A Am Em
    - and it hangs on the Em a couple more bars.

6. FoodSexMusic

FoodSexMusic Banned

Cheers,

I've only ever come across a movement equivalent to the (Ebm-D) in "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother". It's quite obvious, but I think I didn't spot it because the two chords weren't together if you know what I mean. As soon as it goes to the D chord, the song has taken a different, feeling and therefore I didn't recognise the movement between Ebm and D. Perhaps you think of it differently when you are getting it by hear, and maybe that's how you got the D chord!!

7. JonR

JonR Senior Member

Yes, I just heard that it was some kind of descent from Ebm, and that it was a major chord. Didn't take long to confirm it as D.
    It's an unusual move, of course, because two such chords are not diatonic in any normal scale, and nor is it a common modulation move.

However, it's very similar in effect to the major-minor IV-iv move you sometimes get in major keys.
    Eg, in this case, like going from B major to Bm in key of E major. (Ebm/D#m is like a rootless Bmaj7, and D is a rootless Bm7. Try B/D# to D, and it's very close.)
    IOW, although it sounds unusual, there's also something vaguely familiar about it, which is why it sounds good and not just "wrong".

8. To Need a Woman

To Need a Woman Senior Member

Thanks

I'd say that's a D/F#. That might what makes it sound a bit sadder... I think.

At 2:41, it seems to change a bit from the regular (Em-G-D/F#-Am) chord progression. What are the chords at 2:50, 2:59 and 3:01/3:02??

Not sure what the chords between 3:04-3:22 are. In a way, it seems to sound like it's all just Em.

Curious as to what the chords between 3:22-3:27 are? It seems to start with a D chord. The melody in this part is: D E F# G# A

9. To Need a Woman

It's interesting how the melody can stay the same over the first two chords... just the open g and b strings

10. To Need a Woman

For the sort of bridge, between 3:04-3:50, it's - [C-Em-C-Em-C-Em-D] x2

It's quite interesting. There's many components involved in the melody so it's kind of confusing. But you can definitely hear a tritone over the C in places.

A lovely (and rare) example of a lydian sound here over the D chord from 3:21ish. It sounds very dramatic... reminds me of a movie score. I'm not sure how it's made work, because the song is in Em, so you'd expect it to be D mixolydian!

I think it reminds of 'The Edge' maybe!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Who likes this.
  11. To Need a Woman

4:25 - Em-C-Em-C-Am-D-Am-F
    5:14 - Am-C/E-G-D
    6:03 - F#m/5-B-Em-C-G-B/5-E

I think that's all of it now!