Tim Shaw Pickup info please !!

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by skydog, Jan 10, 2009.

1. hamerfan

hamerfan Senior Member

Thats a tough one. Its not in the range of the approved prefixes. Never heard of the 510 prefix. And i see an orange internal wire which bugs me...
    Post some pics of the magnet and spacers.

2. jamman

jamman Premium Member

I didn't get anything from you link besides getting to EBay . Post some pics of the Uncovered tops and back of your pups and you'll get some replies .
    Asking Before you buy works out better .:thumb: :cool:

3. triple6

triple6 Senior Member

Hi all,
    I could make a 1980 Les Paul Custom Silverburst my own. Everything except the cover of the toggle switch seems to be original. But with the pickups i have some problems to identify them. I have read carefully all the information posted in this thread - but didn't come to a conclusion if these are the t shaws.

The guitar itself has the serial no 81790613 (should be June 28th, 1980) and the pickups are stamped with a date too (see picutres). I think they switched the production from t tops to t shaw during this period...

So if the experts could have a look at the pickups and help me to find out whether these are t shaws that would be just great!

Attached Files:

• PU1.jpg
      PU1.jpg
      File size:
      96.6 KB
      Views:
    • PU2.jpg
      PU2.jpg
      File size:
      96.3 KB
      Views:
    • PU3.jpg
      PU3.jpg
      File size:
      96.4 KB
      Views:
    • PU4.jpg
      PU4.jpg
      File size:
      97.3 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  4. triple6

triple6 Senior Member

Sorry for pushing this one up again. I guess know its really the t shaws and because of the early date missing the three digit ink stamp numbers. But still not quite sure...

5. Craig_L

Craig_L Junior Member

Hi,

Sorry for cross posting - the other thread I posted this to seems to have died!

I'm hoping someone can help me identify a pick-up. It fills all the criteria of a Tim Shaw PAF reissue aside from one wire, which is red'ish and not black. It has the correct patent number, black ink stamp over that, white spacers, rough magnet etc. and reads 7.36 - 7.5 ohms (cheap multimeter)...

My doubts come from the fact that this pick-up had been used to upgrade a Washburn Raven - can't think why someone would do that, but it was the 80s!!

Any advise much appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. UnWind

UnWind Member

Anyone know a definitive way to tell an 80s model p490 from a shaw. I've come across a few pat number stamped humbuckers with the same white spacers as shows but have no ink stamp. Is there a definite way to tell if it is one or the other?

7. Cha

Cha Junior Member

I was looking for a LPC Black and a 70's one was all the vintage I could justify already owning old Jr's and Strat's. Then I read where I don't think it would have been for me but an early 80's one with "Tim Shaw pickups" sounded right.
    No idea about Shaws till I read this page. The 84 LPC I found is perfect and had Shaws. Thanks to you guys I could identify them. Had the covers off too and all adds up. They're really nice!

Attached Files:

8. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD! I'm a sercarstic BOT! Silver Supporter Premium Member

This is a great read, with pics, comparing the Shaws with the later 80's PU-490's.

Since this is in the Norlin Period, you may want to scout around in there for more info on these.

Off the top the clearest difference between the 490 and Shaw is the magnet.

The Shaw is a little longer and rough cast on the ends.

The 490 is smaller and smooth on the ends.

You can see them here.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385972&page=3

9. StingyCH

StingyCH The Bearded Baron Premium Member

in a couple of days we'll see the opinion of Gibson's customer care too..i'm sure it will be nothing new since i sent just a pic of the bottom (where the patent stamp is) and not the ones where i removed the caps :laugh2:

Thanks again for the help in my thread, it was nice to get so many details of my guitar's specs :) :cheers:

10. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

My thought is that is wasted time my friend..you won't get an accurate answer..it's not even the same company as it was then.:cool:

11. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD! I'm a sercarstic BOT! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Kris! Stingy! Good to see you in here! :cheers:

I was thinking we could use your knowledge in here when I posted the link to Stingys thread!

Kris is one of the guys to ask on Shaws.

But really, a lot of this is covered in the Norlin section.

I'm a proud Shaw owner myself and those guys over there (and Kris) are a wealth of information on these little beauties.

12. StingyCH

I know Kris, i asked some info back when i bought the guitar and they took many days to answer, and since i had this email convo opened i went a bit further, to see their 0.002 :D . I'm sure they have nothing interesting to say, all i've found interesting was here on MLP, and their answer was "yes, this guitar left the factory in 1987"..so cool, i knew this from day 1 :laugh2::laugh2:

Thanks man :cheers: i think he should find something interesting and much help here, like i had in my guitar's thread :slash:

If the op needs more pics of my uncovered pickups (to compare my pups with his ones) i have plenty :D

Here's some i sorted, so we don't have to go searching around :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DarrellV

Excellent! ^^^^^^^ These are Shaws.

Thank you Stingy!

Now if Kris would be so good as to show us that smooth magnet 490 the OP and others should have about all the ammo they need...

14. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Here you go!:naughty:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. StingyCH

Super :cool:

P.S..the Gibson guy said:

From the picture, it appears the guitar in question has PAF pickups :lol:

16. DarrellV

Well Stingy, it's your lucky day! :wow:

Just pull those PAF's out of that thing and put them up for sale for about $10,000. :thumb:

Let the fellas here guide you to a nice replacement set of Shaws to put back in, and enjoy having some gravy money for once! :applause:

Thanks Gibson! :dude:

17. DarrellV

Thank you, Kris!

This is the PU-490.

It has white plastic spacers, like a shaw.

No serial / date stamp like a Shaw.

The magnet is a fraction SHORTER so look carefully. The Shaw comes out to the mounting tabs, the PU-490 magnet sits in from the edge a little more, AND the ends are smooth!

18. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Actually..in a sense..IF the guy at Gibson is saying Patent Applied For..that IS what the Shaw was called at Gibson..

19. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

And 490 was the numerical designation for the early PAFs. So wtf!?

20. StingyCH

I think he messed up..i was so in peace in my Shaw-ngri-la before his message :laugh2::laugh2: he ruined my karma