Tim Shaw Pickup info please !!

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by skydog, Jan 10, 2009.

1. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

These are the pick-ups that were in my 1980 LPC when I bought it in 1995 (I had both replaced years ago with '57 Classics). One is the original Gibson pup. It is metal stamped pat. no. 2.737.842 and is paint stamped "JUN 2? 1980" (? = unreadable).

Based on the info in this thread I believe it's a Shaw pick-up. Are they worth anything?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread hi-jack alert!

The other pup is a DiMarzio. No part # anywhere on it........ Does anyone have a clue what it is?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nwobhm

nwobhm Senior Member

That first ones is a Gibson Dirty Fingers and that Dimarzio is probably a Dual Sound, which is basically, a 4 conductor version of the Super Distortion. On the Shaws, they had a different poly coated wire than the regular p490. It was more of an orange color as opposed to red, that t-tops and other p490 type Gibson humbuckers had. Shaws also used a white plastic spacer, instead of wood.

3. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. How did you arrive at the conclusion that the Gibson pup is a Dirty Finger?

4. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Because is the only one from Gibson with a double set of screws...? :naughty:

5. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Well that would do it. :rolleyes:

Thanks, I'm not knowledgeable of guitar pick-ups (as you can probably tell).

6. Rock City

Rock City Senior Member

And what do you think about these? Any specs?
    The guy who sells them claims they're Tim Shaw from 1983. but no details. Just $250 for set. They look too good to be almost 30 years old...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

These are NOT Shaw p'ups. This particular baseplate is the same I have in an original Dirty Fingers from 1978, so my guess is they were made BEFORE Tim Shaw entered the picture.

If they measure about 7.5K and the other over 8K they might be good sounding.

But, with the kind of money the guy's asking, I'd buy a Seth Lover set... just saying! ;)

HTH,

8. Rock City

Rock City Senior Member

Well, I always appreciate your posts, grazie mille!
    I just saw some Shaw's on ebay with much higher prices than this one and they're in my favourite Les Paul video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKAOvfqWWCc"]Gibson Tim Shaw PAF, Les Paul 1959 Burst Replica, Humbucker test part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Yep, this is most THE GUITAR sounding, but there are 3 videos more from this guy where you can hear Shaw's are great.
    I didn't intend to buy the set, more like to make an investment for the future :naughty:
    Seth Lover always teased me but they're not in the adds or used, just set of new ones for 230e.
    My thoughts are about '59 neck these days since it's on some kinda of discount for 55e. Just have to find more spare time try it properly.

Rigidarm likes this.
  9. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

The '59s are great.

The Seths are sublime.

10. Rock City

Rock City Senior Member

Yes, I see your point after finding "sublime", which was unknown word for me.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][French sublimer, from Latin sublimare][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]a (1) : to elevate or exalt especially in dignity or honor (2) : to render finer (as in purity or excellence) b : to convert (something inferior) into something of higher worth [/FONT]

Looking this way: if you wanna play raw - '59. If you wanna play smooth - Seth. So many things I'll be missing in this life for sure!

11. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

I have a pair of the 372/373's and 137/138's. As close as I can tell the pole-to-pole spacing on the latter is 1-31/32", and around the same for the former. That is around 50 mm, the standard E-to-E pole spacing. Why would Gibson use 8 different prefixes on the pickups? With respect to my two sets, is one for a Les Paul and the other for another Gibson model? The 372/373 is original to a pre-historic LP. The 137/138 is of unknown origin.

12. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

137/138 was definitely used on Heritage Standard 80s and Elites. The spacing is 1-15/16" or 49.2mm. I have no idea why they had so many different codes. They were used in many different Les Pauls, ES335, SGs etc from 1980-1987 (some into 1988)

Actinic likes this.
  13. TheJrAce

TheJrAce Senior Member

So a 373 stamp is for sure a shaw bridge right?

14. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Yes, but the neck and bridge have the same pole spacing, and you could just as easily use it in the neck.

15. wowowowman

wowowowman Senior Member

I have an '85 Custom Shop ES-335 Dot, tobacco sunburst, nickle hardware with Shaws in it and the PAF sticker on the pickup ring. Sounds decent.

I'm don't wanna take them out again for photos of numbers

16. tps5352

tps5352 Junior Member

I posted these photos and some information on the Everything SG forum (How to Identify Gibson "Tim Shaw" Humbucking Pickups - SG Guitar Forum), but since I found lots of information on this (My Les Paul) forum, and my SG does have "Les Paul Custom" engraved in two places :), I guess it might be both fair and helpful to include them here as well.

For those who might have 1987 and later pickups that look like they might be Shaws but do not have a batch or date ink-stamp (as some of the later Shaws apparently did not), I am also going to post a followup in the Everything SG forum that shows the non-Shaw pickups that I removed from the 1988 SG Custom.

Without taking off the covers the 1988 neck and middle pickups at first look like Shaw pickups--they have the metal-stamped "Pat. No. 2,737,842" tailpiece patent number, metal-over-cloth-covered wire leads, and their resistance is 7.2 and 7.7 K-ohms. (They sound good, also.) However, the four screws holding the bobbins to the bottom plate are not brass-colored, and when opened the internal differences (from those of a Shaw) are clear-cut. And if anyone knows what those two pickups are (what model), please let me know. (By the way, the bridge pickup in the 1988 SG Custom was a Bill Lawrence "The Original," HB-L Gibson pickup with a resistance of around 9 K-ohms.)

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  17. Slappy2x

Slappy2x Senior Member

Thx for all of the info, everyone......you helped me ID the humbuckers in my old LP Silver Streak! Have a good one!

Attached Files:

18. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

Hi guys,

sorry for digging up this old thread, but I have questions about the PUPs that are built in my 1982 Flying V FF82. They sound awesome BTW. Clean, both PUP have a very bell like, round and distinct tone, I especially dig the middle position which is celestial. Cranked up they rock and push as hell, still staying very distinct, no muddieness at all.

I disassemled it today and took out the PUPs and to me they look like Tim Shaws. Skatterbrane, if you read this, can you verify this? Thanks for looking

Neck PUP
    [​IMG]

Bridge PUP

[​IMG]

19. johnjsg

johnjsg Junior Member

Hello

I wonder if anyone could upload some good detailed pictures of a Shaw era 1980-86 P490?

There is a lot of information on the internals of a Shaw pickup but no real comparison of its close alternative - the P490 which seems to have many similar characteristics at least on visually inspection and which was widely used during the Shaw era too.

Are there visible differences between the 2 pickups without having to pull the pickup apart to determine if it is a Shaw or P490?
    Maybe a picture showing the wiring differences (if there are any) in the tone/volume electronics? I heard Shaw has black & White – does the P490 have different colors or more wires?
    Also if looking at the internals is the only way to determine differences then can you also upload pictures showing the P490 potting wax/epoxy (Shaw did not pot his pickups); maybe a picture showing the spacer used in a P490 (??). Shaw’s apparently were white plastic; coil wire color, etc. I think a thread describing a P490 during the Shaw era would help clarify the differences since many seem to want to know if they have a Shaw or not – me included.

Thanks a bunch.

20. TexLesPaul

TexLesPaul Member