TIL (today I learned)

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rhust, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

so, I am constantly finding more and more uses in the helix...

today I was watching some youtube videos about creating tones... and I rean across the line6 support youtube channel...

watch this:

the thing I didn't know, you will notice early on... there are variax selections in the unit, without having a variax guitar! that may not come as a surprise to anyone except me... but that's a cool feature.. I have 1 guitar I can split a humbucker down to a single, my charvel, but the option to get a semblance of single coil sound from another guitar is cool! just thought I'd share...

what have you been surprised by in your features?

2. tzd

tzd Senior Member

That is not true. Making Variax settings will not magically turn your non-Variax guitar into what it is not.

3. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Wow....I watched a couple of those and learned a bit myself!! While I am not real big into copping other players' tones, some of the settings used cleared a few things up. I dig that the Helix is a tool you can constantly change and learn. Makes playing exciting!!!

4. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I think that's where I got confused, they made it sound like if you have a non-variax the variax setting could take the place...
    I didn't get a chance to try it to see if it worked.

mmd - it's constantly making me think about new possibilities! hell, I never considered running a stereo rig (wet/dry wet/dry/wet with conventional tube amps.

5. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHA, be glad you never did. I did a wet/dry rig with my S120 and gigged with it....ugh, what a nightmare, lol!!! It is MUCH easier in the Helix!!!

Rhust likes this.
  6. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

can't even imagine!

on the helix it was easy, and the results were astonishing! I ran it wet/dry live and got a lot of compliments on how well everything sounded... we run a very small band at church... some churches have 9-10+ people in the band... we have 3-4.. acoustic/singer, me, a cajon or small drum kit, and a trumpet(former jazz musician)... we usually don't even have a bass, so I end up helping round out the bottom and rhythm (suits me fine), with the wet(clean)/dry(slight breakup) the sound was huge to the audience, that was what I wanted. I wanted it to feel bigger for them, and it did :)

7. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Awesome! That's what it's all about!

8. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Why in the piss has youtube shadow banned that video (why it has to be watched in youtube, why you can't actually like or dislike). What offensive thing is in a Helix how to vid?

9. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I think Line 6 did that. you can't comment on it, or anything... too many internet trolls is my guess

10. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I don't think Line 6 can make it only be watched on youtube, and not embedded, that is all YT.

11. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

considering I've only seen that on big corporate YT vids, I'm willing to bet it's something the premium corporate channels pay for.. while the rest of us use YT free