THR10X vs Blackstar ID TVP (video)

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Ayton, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Ayton

Ayton Senior Member

In the room these are not very comparable, but I didn't just want a practice amp. I wanted a practice amp that recorded well via USB, saving me the hassle of micing and cranking my tube amp to get demos down. So I played the same little 90-second tune on each.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSh_BtkwOIQ[/ame]

I know which sounds best to me. :naughty:

7 people like this.
  2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Maybe you are, or maybe you aren't aware. The USB output can be set to one of 3 modes on the ID:TVP amps. One is emulated, stereo out, the 2nd is 2 by mono channels, and not speaker emulated, and the third is a re-amping mode. I BELIEVE the 2 x mono is default.

And your recording sounded not speaker emulated to me (and also recorded less hot than the Yamaha). Perhaps, you didn't have the stereo emulated selection for the USB?

3. BuzzHaze

BuzzHaze V.I.P. Member

Personally, I like the Blackstar sound better in this example...less brittle and has more depth. The Yamaha sounds a little sqwaky whereas the Blackstar has a fuller sound.

4. Ayton

Ayton Senior Member

Thanks for checking it out, fellas. Definitely stereo emulated out on the Blackstar. Both amps recorded bone dry, for example no reverb, so may not sound as roomy as you expect from the emu out.

5. shrigg

shrigg Senior Member

Nice video! I liked the Yamaha a lot better. Sounded much more upfront to me.

5 people like this.
  6. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

First of all, thanks for doing this video. :applause:

Great playing, too! :dude:

The Yamaha tones for me, please. :thumb:

Not that the Blackstar was bad, just very dark and super compressed.
    Sounded like a modeling amp doing a decent impression.

The Yamaha had great crunch and superior note definition.
    Sounded like a good modeling amp doing an excellent impression.

BTW, great video work!
    What camera and what video software?

2 people like this.
  7. circles

circles Senior Member

blackstar, less brittle to my ear.

8. shrigg

shrigg Senior Member

Looks like it was shot with a 5D mark II by a talented shooter. Nice and soft. I often wish my GH4 was full frame.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ayton

Ayton Senior Member

It's cool to see opinions in favor of both amps. I thought there was a clear winner, but it's more interesting that certain ears like certain things.

I appreciate the, you know, appreciation! Really. Cheers.

Ah, full frame. One day! Not quite as fancy: D5100, though I will pass the compliment to my camerawoman/wife. :) We used an f/1.8 lens, which allows for the very shallow focus. Edited with Camtasia, which makes so many things so easy. I was clinging to iMovie HD, but the wife's used this for years and convinced me to try it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Shambeko

Shambeko Junior Member

On first listen yesterday I would say definitely THR. It sounded sweeter to my ears.
    Thought I would have another listen today but played the Blackstar first. This time It was a lot closer but maybe the THR just had the edge.
    I guess the first version you hear is registered as the default sound to your brain. So anything else just sounds different. Maybe we need a psychologist to explain brain functions in the context of sound.

1 person likes this.
  11. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Does 4 months count as a necropost or am I in under the wire?
    I would love to have heard the same demo on cleans.
    Can you comment on the cleans between the two?
    Is there a need/ reason/ justification for owning both??
    ...because that's what I'm thinking about doing.

12. shrigg

shrigg Senior Member

I have and like the original THR10. I thought this review had a good sampling of the THR10 tones, clean to dirty. I like the crunch setting most of the time.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un-BYGuvnyY[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  13. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

Late to this party, but yeah that was great, the ID was good but I'm glad I got the X :naughty:

Nice playing :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  14. Ayton

Ayton Senior Member

Hey Pop. I'm not really a cleans guy (my main amp doesn't even have a clean channel!) but I did spend quite a bit of time playing with the cleans on these guys for the big write-ups here: THR10X and ID:60 TVP.

In short, the cleans are surprisingly nice on both, but the ID TVP is capable of more flavors. You can switch to 6L6 tubes and sweep the ISF to the American side to make a Fender, or drop in EL84s and turn the dial over to the UK side for a Vox vibe, and of course mix and match to get anything in between. The THR10X just does one captured Fender tone, though it's really lush. It's a kind of soft tone, not hard and spanky. You want to do slow arpeggiated chords on a Strat. I was impressed that turning up the master vol actually models output distortion, pushing this little Fender into dirt and compression!

In the room, the Blackstar sounds so much more like a real amp with that 12-inch speaker. There's body and bass like we're used to. It sounds surprisingly tubey, and gets even better if you swap out the stock Blackbird for any real guitar speaker. The Yamaha never sounds like a real amp in the room -- come on, those are 3-inch speakers! -- but is super fun to play, easy to set down anywhere in the house you want to noodle, and records better IMO. I kept both.

1 person likes this.
  15. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

They both sounded great to me, but gun to my head I'd pick the Yammy.

1 person likes this.
  16. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Thanks Ayton.
    I want to hear some more of your playing!!!!!! Very nice!

17. allbusinessjoe

allbusinessjoe Senior Member

I've got the 10x as well as an ID. (Not the TVP though)

All I can tell you is the Yamaha delivers in spades. I don't care if the speakers are 3 inches or 3mm ---- the amp delivers what all guitarists are after at any volume: TONE! The Yamaha is so versatile, and the settings are soooo easy to achieve because they are built in. Simply add or subtract effect levels.

I own or have owned several Marshall's, Mesas, H&K, Fenders, Blackstar, etc. and I would put the 10x against any of them as far as tone goes. Yeah there are some dynamics that you just can't get from a SS amp, but pound per pound, and dollar for dollar I've not heard an amp that comes remotely close to the Yamaha THR series. In fact, I play the 10x more than I play my AFD. I love the AFD, but I can take the 10x anywhere easily. No warming up tubes, no heavy head to lug around.

This is the only Yamaha product that i own, but I can't wait to see what they comes out with next.

2 people like this.
  18. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

I've owned 3, possible 4 Blackstars. Know I had at least 2 of the ID:Core, 10 and 40... pretty sure I spent a week or so with the 20.

Spent a day with the HT1GC.

Out of the speaker... very close call between the Yamaha and the HT1GC. The tube and the ISF, with a Les Paul... oh my, its tone heaven.

But, then I got a THR-10. Only to be upgraded to the 10X for the added gain and those two Brown channels.

I saw this video independent of this thread and was impressed with how good the Yamaha sounded direct and how thin (and typical of my experience) the Blackstar(s) sounded.

I've been thinking of parting with my Flextone for a few weeks now and just saving up money for a nice(r) tube amp... because I think the THR would get me through, no problem.

19. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

You know......... I listened to this clip one time the other day, one time I tell ya!

I'm driving to work today and BAM!!, there's your clip playing in my head, good job man you rip :dude:

3 people like this.
  20. jageya

jageya Senior Member

between the thr-10 or 10c and the id:core 40?...i am torn..