THR10 Ringing sound

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by nm4, Mar 17, 2014.

1. nm4

nm4 Senior Member

Hey guys,

Just got a brand new THR10 today (V2). Sounds great. When I turn the gain or master up the amp makes a high pitched squeal. I've tried different outlets, different cables...but as long as a cabled is plugged in when the gain is turned up the amp begins its squeal. I've tried different outlets, cables, and guitars...the result is the same. Defective? Or am I being too picky?

Cheers,
    NM

2. hrfdez

hrfdez Senior Member

Could be. I have never had that problem with mine. I would take it back, if possible, and get a different one. If the problem persist, maybe you need a power conditioning unit.

3. nm4

nm4 Senior Member

Hardly seems like a power supply issue - none of my other amps behave this way. It sounds weakly microphonic...but it's so high pitched that the sound drives me nuts. Wish there was something I could do to adjust it.

Cheers,
    NM

4. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Could be the power supply, as in the power brick that came with the amp. The very first batch of THR's had a problem with the power brick, but I thought they fixed that a long time ago.

5. Clump

Clump Senior Member

Maybe try it on battery power to eliminate the power supply.

Check out page 17 of this thread for some discussion of the same issue - Yamaha THR 5 / 10 Club - Page 17 - Telecaster Guitar Forum

I got my THR10 a week or so ago and don't have the problem. I did the firmware update to V2 and was surprised that it wasn't already there.

6. roeg

roeg Senior Member

Just an opinion,sounds like oscillation in a tube amp.This can be a b*tch to troubleshoot,especially since its solid state,its much easier to find in a tube amp.(sometimes!,you have to be good at troubleshooting).Exchange it for another,since its new.Could just be a design fault where a couple traces on the board are running parallel close to each other,and the problem surfaces when too much current passes thru the traces(turned up!)damn chinese circuit boards,imho.

7. guy54

guy54 Member

Same with my new 10c. Some settings make it worse. Also seem to be able to dial it out with guitar vol & tone controls . . . .

8. MegaCrasher

MegaCrasher Junior Member

Having this same issue with my new THR10 as well. Working with a great Yamaha tech support rep so will hopefully have a solution soon. Any of you guys get it figured out?

9. Tenacious T

Tenacious T Senior Member

Are you running it thru your laptop with the editor open?

I was having a "noise" issue when I had the THR plugged in to my laptop...put one of those two prong converters on the power supply cable & that solved the problem.

10. rufus

rufus Member

I had one, the high pitched noise was most audible when the notes decayed, aspecially on the jcm model.
    Nice concept, didn't turn out well for me.

11. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Sometimes you just need the right adjustment tool.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. MegaCrasher

MegaCrasher Junior Member

OK... so as is the norm with message boards, people love to complain about a problem, soaking up the advice, suggestions and good will of fellow forum members, like a sponge or parasite, only to bolt and never return after they've presumably gotten the issue resolved. Did you ever wish, just once, one of these people would bother to come back and let the rest of us know how they got their issue resolved? Well, I find this online phenomenon infinitely frustrating, so I vowed never to be "that guy." As a result, here I am to report back on what I learned after working with Yamaha's excellent telephone support staff.

The constant ringing sound from the THR10 is a known issue with a batch of these amps. It is caused by some issue where two leads on the board are too close together, causing an unwanted oscillation noise. Don't settle for it if you're having this issue. It has nothing to do with the volume of the aux imput, having the amp too loud, etc. That's all bunk. It simply means you, like me, got one of the units with this known fault. The solution is easy -- contact Yamaha and find out where the nearest authorized repair center is, and take the unit in for a free in-warranty repair. Their service techs are aware of the problem and it's an easy fix. I hope this helps.

5 people like this.
  13. guy54

guy54 Member

Thanks for reporting back. I was just living with the whine. Maybe I'll send mine in for repair.:applause:

The constant ringing sound from the THR10 is a known issue with a batch of these amps. It is caused by some issue where two leads on the board are too close together, causing an unwanted oscillation noise. Don't settle for it if you're having this issue. It has nothing to do with the volume of the aux imput, having the amp too loud, etc. That's all bunk. It simply means you, like me, got one of the units with this known fault. The solution is easy -- contact Yamaha and find out where the nearest authorized repair center is, and take the unit in for a free in-warranty repair. Their service techs are aware of the problem and it's an easy fix. I hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

14. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

Can anyone tell me which wires are involved? I'd like to fix this myself as I bought my THR10 on eBay. I'm not sure Yamaha will repair it under warranty...

15. Ayton

Ayton Senior Member

I'm bumping this because I figured out and fixed this problem in my THR. People finding the thread through Google etc. might want a real solution. All you need is a cable tie!

Here is my quick how-to guide. :)

3 people like this.
  16. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

I had the same issue. It's a wiring problem. I called Yamaha and they had me take it to a local shop for warranty repair. The guy fixed in about 10 minutes while I waited. No more issues...

17. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

Here's hoping they incorporate that into the production line!

18. jab996

jab996 Senior Member

No issues with my THR10c. I love mine. Exchange it.