THR comparisons

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Pop1655, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

No. I haven't mustered up the strength yet to attempt the process again. My blood pressure is just now settling back in the normal range from my last try. :)

You make a very good point though and it is great advice.

This says a lot about my thought on that:

I want to first feel the way GK does about one of the two.
    I want to be thrilled "as is" first.
    After that, then the editing really would be icing on the cake.
    The editing option leads me to think the C was probably the right choice.
    I'm betting adding dirt is easier than adding clean.

Today was slated as the magic day off to figure it out.
    I ended up with a 9:30, an 11:30 and a 3:30 so I'd have to say so far it's not going as planned! We'll see.

2 people like this.
  2. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

OK, final answer:
    I'm a C guy

This was ridiculously hard!
    I really wanted to like the straight. I think it's a great unit. I know if I had gotten the straight first I'm positive I would have never questioned it and been totally happy. It really does cover the bases. This may sound strange, but I also think it sounds a hair better on playback as an MP3 player.

In the end though, I had tried the C first and there are some clean sounds in there that are as appealing to me as the brown channels are to GK and the other X guys. I just couldn't let those special clean sounds go. Now it's on to the editor to see if I can find my gain channel.

One thing is for sure, everybody is right.
    The straight is a really cool piece. I totally believe that the X must be outstanding at what it does. The C has some just off the chart cleans. I'd bet there probably aren't really as many C guys out there as there are straight and X guys. I certainly wouldn't take my word for it and buy a C, but I'm pretty sold that it's the ticket for me.

My advice to anybody trying to get internet educated on these is:
    1. Believe everything you read.
    then
    2. Don't believe a word you read.

I think they're all great but I think it's a very personal, individual decision.

4 people like this.
  3. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

All the models, for what you play... if you get the right one, I just can't envision being disappointed.

I can see purists looking at it and pointing their noses to the sky. Hey, I get it. I want this, in a Marshall/Mesa. If I could afford this (and the extras) to get this in a Marshall/Mesa... I would. But, I'd still keep this.

I still can't get over how good it sounds. But, if you're a Blues/Jazz guy... you will love the C. If you want some of everything, the 10 will fit the bill. If they didn't make the X, I'd still have it, still love it. I'd have to edit it, with the software more... but, I'd be happy.

If you want that overdriven, tube crackle, distortion, several distinct voices, without sounding like a cheap little amp faking it... buy the X.

I plugged this into the laptop, quickly last night and then thought to myself, "why?" I didn't need to tweak anything, it was getting late and I'd rather play. So I unplugged it from the computer and just played some more. That is what I want in an amp. The ability to tweak it... but no real need, because it already sounds like I want it.

There's a reason its $100 more than its competition. Worth it, IMO.

5 people like this.
  4. 5-0 phonebooth

5-0 phonebooth Senior Member

Do 'they' make a W cord? I'm now thinking of getting / combining a C and an X to compliment my 10 just because I'd be cooler than all the kids just doing two, and because of this thread... you dastardly buggers!

3 people like this.
  5. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Senior Member

I've got the original 10, great little amp for the cash.
    Can't go wong

3 people like this.
  6. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Senior Member

:hmm: Now I want an X...

1 person likes this.
  7. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

They're all great little amps, and cost pretty much the same as a boutique pedal - not much to complain about there! :shock:

I've got the regular 10 and am very happy with it, although I do prefer the sound of my Blackstar HT-1R in combination with pedals. I was using the Yamaha for recording too, but recently got a Focusrite 6i6, which is a much better and more dedicated tool for such purposes. The THR10 will become my office amp, I think. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  8. StormJH1

StormJH1 Senior Member

That was actually a question I wanted to ask about it - do people find the THR10 to be pedal friendly? If so, on which settings?

It's not really a "priority" of mine to use it with my pedals (of which I have too many). The amp does plenty on its own to cover basic effects and a good range of sounds. But modeling amps can be fickle with pedals. I think one of the key factors is the compression of the amp - My Super Champ X2 is a great modeling/hybrid tube amp, but about half of the DSP settings add considerable compression that seems to mess things up. The "clean channel" (which is also has a DSP component, contrary to popular belief), takes pedals well, but is voiced such that it is pretty bright until you turn it up to volumes that are a bit too high for my home playing needs.

I've got about a half hour of testing the THR10 at a guitar store - I was basically sold after 5 minutes. But on the right side of the modelling knob are the "Bass, Acoustic, and Flat" settings that don't get talked about as much. "Flat" pretty much tries to turn the thing into a power amp for use with a preamp pedal, or perhaps other applications like using line in audio. What's cool about it compared to, say, an effects return jack on a combo amp, is that you can still apply delay, reverb, etc. to the signal after the amp. Anyway, I'm thinking the "Flat" setting would maybe be the best idea if you were into using pedals with a THR10.

Anybody try this thing with pedals?

9. GibsonKramer

You're right about the flat setting. It is supposed to remove all signal processing... well, it's still processing an analog signal... but you know what I mean. :)

I would think that would be your best bet.

I'm like the anti-pedal guy. If I could find the few I do own, I'd be happy... Because they're ones I know plays well with my coming Marshall (OD-1, Crybaby, Flanger and some weird delay pedal, I forgot what it is - haven't seen them in a couple years).

I just want to plug straight into my amp and it sound good.

Now a footswitch, with Up/Down and Effect On/Off... that I'd like. You have to mod them, for that. And not sure... but it may only be for channel switching.

It's my one ding against these amps. I think it's something that could and should be considered in the purchase.

I am interested how pedals play with it, however... at least for info sake.

10. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Senior Member

My 10 has been fine with pedals. I've used Keeley TS9DX, Maxon/Ibanez ST-L, SD9, GE9, PQ9, no probs with any :thumb:

11. StormJH1

StormJH1 Senior Member

@jimmyjames - Thanks, good to hear. With this thing, I'd probably be straight into it 95% of the time, out of the sake of pure convenience. And it also has a lot of variety to its on-board modeling sounds and effects. But there's the possibility this amp becomes the primary one I'm using in my home (for a variety of reasons), so if that's the case, I could see using a pedal or two with it, if not a full "pedalboard".

1 person likes this.
  12. theaxeman

theaxeman Senior Member

I bought the 10C on the advice of Bilbarstow.

I have never looked back.

I also added external speaker plugs. You get the same sound as the mini-speakers except 10X fuller.

I use mine every day, and still find new sounds and settings to play with. :shock:

3 people like this.
  13. SloeGin

SloeGin Senior Member

very cool! :dude:

14. BuzzHaze

BuzzHaze V.I.P. Member

I've got the proto-type THR 1000 :laugh2:

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  15. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Senior Member

:wow:
    Sign me up!!!

1 person likes this.
  16. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Senior Member

Never gets old :thumb:

4 people like this.
  17. 10rman88

10rman88 Senior Member

Just brought a THR10C home with me today and it def lives up to the hype. I had played one a bit in the store and thought it was awesome but finally got one for myself as a low volume alternative to the Sibly. Gonna hook it up to the computer and test out the editor now.

2 people like this.
  18. GibsonKramer

Found a design flaw in the amps. Don't believe I've read about it on here, hope no one has experienced it and thought the amp sucked. It's an easy fix.

With the other two, the 10 & 10C, the signal sounded wonderful, through all outputs. However, with the 10X I had developed a high pitch whine, that I didn't notice until I plugged in phones. My first thought, as I didn't remember this on the other two (though I didn't use phones on the C)... was because it was advertised as Extreme Gain... I'd learn to have to live with it, or go back to the 10. Figured it was nature of the high gain beast.

I had listened to some videos and didn't hear anyone with the same issue... so then figured I had a lemon. I then stumbled onto a video, where the guy recorded the same sound. One of the replies, said to Google "THR noise fix"

YouTube THR Noise Sample

My first instinct, before looking up the fix, was to return the amp. Paid $300, it should be perfect. Then I saw what the actual problem is, how simple the fix is and it could happen to any of them, at any time. It's what Yamaha should have done before assembly.

But it is, easier just to fix...

THR Noise Fix

Hope this helps out anyone who might experience the same, now or in the future.

Edit: on the ping backs listed, there was actually a topic on here covering it. Not many had the issue at the time here, as I don't think many had the amp prior to the holidays.

4 people like this.
  19. GibsonKramer

Oh, by the way... I read through a lot on this and almost any Yamaha service center, should know about this and if you live close enough, should be able to fix it inside 10 minutes.

Otherwise, do it yourself, or have a friend do it. Our you could return it... But it can potentially happen to any of them, if they're all designed that way. The shielding they used, was insufficient and they should know better.

Any wire passing current, produces an electric field around it... especially those little things. They get too close, electrical interference.

Blah.

Still love my amp though. Marshall comes Thursday.

UPDATE: EASY fix. The longest part of the operation was finding the right size zip tie, in my stuff. Back together and sounds, even better than I remember it (the whine didn't start up until some jostling around).

20. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Just had another "session" with my C and I am totally hooked.
    It just works!

1 person likes this.