Thoughts on this '63 SG Junior

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Tomfoolery, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery Junior Member

What do you experts think of this junior?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/listing.aspx?id=1397980825&/listing?rfm=1

Looks like there might have been a neck heel repair at some point, the tuners look too clean to be original and the pick guard is cracked, but I am starting to fall in love. Does anyone know if the non adjustable stop tail is original or is that a replacement too? Can anybody tell if the pots and pick up are likely to be original?

Thanks guys!

2. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

As I recall the SG juniors of that era, the tuners are true to kind, but not original. I doubt that you will find original tuners on any SG of this vintage, because the plastic tuning keys rot and turn to dust in fewer years than the age of this guitar. The extra TP/bridge isn't original. The original would have just had a round top, and would not have been made in Japan. Also, the design of vintage SGs makes neck breaks at the heel very common. Can't tell you if this one has had a break, but if so, the repair looks professional. Don't know about the pots, but the capacitor looks original to me.

3. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery Junior Member

I think that in 63 they had the lightening bolt bridge, but I think that you are probably correct that it is not original.

Man I am tempted by this guitar, but I am about to start building a house and could really do with not spending the money. It seems like a well priced option and I can't see something like this ever dropping in value.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Definitely new tuners, but these did seem to fare much better than the keystone button type..there are still decent original sets to be had..the fastest way to spot them is that the post and the peg that the button are on , are raw brass..usually oxidized to a brown. No one to my knowledge makes repros like this, they're all plated.
    [​IMG]

As for heel repair..well, at least that's out of the way! I had a neck come off on me while trying a '61 Jr at a vintage store..the strap button screw finally said "that's it I quit" (the only thing holding the neck on!!) after 35 some years (at that point in the 90's when it happened)
    Knowing now what I didn't know then..clamps, the proper glue would've made it solid again..