Thoughts on the cheaper Les Paul 1960 pg. 129 reissue?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by zaqintosh, Aug 8, 2017.

1. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

I don't have big hands and have never had issues switching between my skinny neck tele and my baseball bat neck 58.

freebyrd 69 and Crotch like this.
  2. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Same. I'd prefer the Old R0 (V3) style neck, but never a deal breaker. Strat Necks are more comfy anyway. :run:

jamman and FennRx like this.
  3. Big Daddy B

Big Daddy B Senior Member

Zaq if that R9 doesn't work out let me know I have a 2013 washed cherry R0 I am selling virtually unplayed (found a different guitar i ended up liking better for my purposes)

4. zaqintosh

zaqintosh Junior Member

Thanks for the offer big daddy. So far so good though, me and this R9 are starting to get attached :)

jamman likes this.
  5. BBD

BBD Senior Member

The R9 neck profile was a pleasant surprise for me too, on a couple of levels.

First, after a decade of playing mainly thin / thinnish flat-C profile necks, it was surprisingly, almost shockingly comfortable. It just filled the palm perfectly. It felt right. (I am 5' 11" with average-size hands).

Second, for several years I've suffered somewhat with De Quervain's tendinosis, a nasty little tendon inflamation in my left thumb, caused by... guitar playing. Since medical advice ('stop') was incompatible with reality, it was slowly getting worse and worse. I was actually pretty worried as I could see a not-too-distant future when I would not really be able to play at all.

But within a month of getting hold of an R9, the problem was noticeably better, and a year down the line, while not completely gone, it is manageable and a whole world better than at its worst.

6. zaqintosh

zaqintosh Junior Member

Interesting BBD. I can see how the fatter neck would be more natural on the hand / tendons if you don't fight it. I'm curious what string gauge do you use? I think the R9 comes stock with 10-46, but I bet lighter gauge would be even easier for your condition

7. BBD

BBD Senior Member

10-46 on the R9, top-wrapped. 9-42 on the rest. So string tension is unlikely to be the problem :)

8. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Ha ha. I did buy it, but returned it because it bothered me, and they were jerking my chain. Really nice guit though, as you know

mudface likes this.
  9. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Yes, and it was a shame that GC had to be typical about it.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  10. zaqintosh

zaqintosh Junior Member

The sticky / tackiness of the nitro neck on the R9 is definitely bugging me. Anyone tried 600 grit sandpaper just to knock off the gloss of a nitro finished neck? I've only done this with polyurethane finished guitars.

Also, I realize I was supposed to post a NGD pic, so here's my new baby:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    serch777, FennRx and Jamie_h like this.
  11. BBD

BBD Senior Member

I'd be careful with that. It's sooo much easier to remove nitro finish than to put it back. The sticky neck question is getting talked about now here. So maybe try the Gibson polish but go cautiously. Please :cheers2:

Jamie_h likes this.