Thoughts on the cheaper Les Paul 1960 pg. 129 reissue?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by zaqintosh, Aug 8, 2017.

1. zaqintosh

zaqintosh Junior Member

I've been preparing myself to fork over too much money on a reissue. Likely a 1960s because I'm fearful of an uncomfortably fat neck.

The "True Historic" price seemed hard to justify when the "Standard historic" at $6.5k was comparatively a huge savings, giving up a few things that I'm not sure matter to me (accurate plastics and longer neck joint?).

Until I noticed this even cheaper one that seems to be a Guitar Center exclusive? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-...Figured-Top-Reissue-Electric-Guitar-PG-129.gc

Seems like a great deal for a brand new reissue... is there a catch here? How would this one difffer from the standard historic? Also is this super limited? If I blink will these run out of stock?

Thanks in advance for any advise!

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

How about a s/h R0.

If that one is more modern specs and with a short tenon then maybe a 2013 type era one with all the right elements might be an alternative.
    And the TH still didn't have the right plastics - it was the most glaring omission TBH.

3. zaqintosh

zaqintosh Junior Member

s/h ?

4. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Nice R0 , imo it's a 2014(from the serial #) , so it wont have any of the 2015+ upgrades , which imo wont make any difference you'll notice . The GC R0 runs are 1st rate R0's with everything anyother R0 has/gets . Less the More flammy top . That's something of personal choice if you like it or not . Same Exact guitar as any other 2014 R0 .
    If you buy from any Dealer and PAY MAP ,,, You really should look at other dealers . Paying MAP is not a must do , unless ,it's a guitar YOU MUST HAVE because of the top or customizations . I paid less then the MAP for 2017 R0 for my 2015 TH60 . Shopping around can pay off .... Dealing with a Shop and being known to them as a repeat customer will be to your advantage ....
    I smell a NGD soon :cheers:

Crotch likes this.
  5. zaqintosh

zaqintosh Junior Member

Thanks for the info, very helpful. How much of a discount did you get on your r0 and true historic r0 ? I can at least have some data point I can use to bargain. Are you in the USA ?

6. jamman

jamman Premium Member

PM going you way ....

Crotch likes this.
  7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

s/h is second hand

8. Pythonman

Pythonman Senior Member

I have always liked the G0s as they are known. The more recent flamey bourbon bursts with reflector knobs are the best yet.

9. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Buy used. I saw an r7 sell on CL this weekend for $2000.

I saw a 59 go on TGP for around $3500.

Oranjeaap and Dilver like this.
  10. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Crotch likes this.
  11. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I have played a few and like them and almost bought one but GC lost the case and all its paperwork,.....imagine that!

cherrysunburst00 and bulletproof like this.
  12. Herb Utsmelz

Herb Utsmelz Member

I had one from this specific run (buddy has it now) and it was a great guitar with all the normal '15 Historic appointments aside from a G0 serial. My local GC also still has theirs which is also a decent guitar but in need of a setup. There's even a nice looking one for sale on TGP at the moment.

13. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

When did GC start doing Sweetwater's thing, posting pics and weights of particular serial numbers?

bulletproof likes this.
  14. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

Could not agree more - if you're patient, the right deal will present itself. Wow, that sounded very Zen. I guess I just have good Guitarma :doh:

FennRx likes this.
  15. zaqintosh

zaqintosh Junior Member

What's TGP? Sorry complete newb here :)

16. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

The gear page forum

17. zaqintosh

zaqintosh Junior Member

Aah I think this is "the guitar emporium". Call me old fashioned, but I would buy a guitar from a random person online. I prefer dealing with a retailer who can help me exchange or manage probs, help with warranty claims, etc. also need to try a guitar and don't trust that I'm good at recognizing a copy

18. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

Contact a sponsor here if you're interested. No need to pay more if you don't have to imo.

19. jamman

jamman Premium Member

The guy wants a NEW R0 .. everything else , (with all respect for you guys) for 60's neck lovers is a waste of time (you may like Big fat necks ) .... He has some specs that he feels are a must for buying so , He will do what he feels ,works for him best . After all , it is his $$$ ... We all do that ...
    Maybe if any of you 'al see a R0 (new) on the Left coast .. post it or PM him ...

OP, just read your last post .. If you posted pics of a guitar you were interested in , many here would /could be a big help to you .. There are some true "experts" among us.
    I'm not 1 ,but I can spot a "good" LP on most days:laugh2: .
    Many have been helped this way ... Next :fingersx:

20. zaqintosh

zaqintosh Junior Member

Hi folks! thanks for all of the help, I ended up finding a GC shop 40 miles from my house that had both the cheaper 60s R0 and new R9 "Standard historic" VOS in stock. I tried both and the R9 just felt higher quality to me. The washed finish was better, the guitar was lighter, the paint job was a bit better, and it felt at least 1 pound lighter than the 60s one. I ended up spending the extra money on the R9 (got a bit of a discount) :)

I was surprised how playable the 59 neck was, but I'm still getting used to it .. I can't tell if I'm actually less proficient on a 59 neck, or If it was a mental thing. But I've committed to getting used to it. Anyhow else here about 5"9 tall with average sized hands? How's the 59 neck profile work for you ? I don't shred, but I do play fast.

FennRx likes this.