Thoughts on purchasing a reverb pedal?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by ht-57, Sep 30, 2017.

1. ht-57

ht-57 Member

Question to y'all,
    Looking to p/u a reverb pedal, but I'm a simple cave man.
    I seen some good reviews about the sound quality of eventide space.
    I have an eventide time factor delay. it sounds gr8 but its a pia for me to use. I lose all my
    mojo trying to program the thing. At times I regret not picking up the mxr carbon copy for the
    sake of simplicity.
    The tc HOF2 appealed to me for the simplicity, but seen a few reviews saying its sound is lackluster.
    Would be awesome to get some feedback from those who have some hands on /ears on time
    b4 I spend Mo Money!

El Pablo likes this.
  2. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Empress Reverb.

not cheap, but there is all the Reverb you could ever want, fairly simple interface and the modulated Reverb is to die for.

ht-57 likes this.
  3. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

My thoughts are: the more control leads to the more power, and more power leads to more flexibility, and more flexibility leads to more usefulness or more originality in your tone. This comes at the price of a steeper learning curve. At points in the learning curve (when it comes to audio engineering) the information learned is deep musical knowledge, that transfers to any aspect of making music. And once past the initial head scratching, it becomes rewarding and fun. The Eventide stuff is so powerful and becomes very rewarding to use. I once limited myself to only using the PF and was surprised by how happy I was.

The verbs are challenging to understand but I would miss them more then any other fx I use, if I lost my pedal. The reason I have two H9s is so I can run the verbs after a pitch or mod or delay fx. Originally I did not think I would really care about the verbs so I did not buy a Space pedal. I thought I was going to buy a couple verb algorithms but I ended up maxing out my H9 because the verbs are so good.

I lived with a TF for awhile and programmed it to give me mod or verb as well as possible. It worked very well.

No matter what have fun and find the motivation you need to become the musician you want to be. Peace

ht-57 likes this.
  4. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Do some research on the Digitech Hardwire RV7.
    I use one.
    Let me know.
    BP

ht-57 likes this.
  5. ht-57

ht-57 Member

ty, both gonna check them out.

I was afraid someone would say that.

6. AlanH

AlanH Senior Member

The Biyang Tri Reverb is incredibly tweakable and quiet if you want something that doesn't cost too much.....

7. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

line 6's verbzilla offers a wide array of reverb tones, very tweakable.

8. Zepp76

Zepp76 Senior Member

Simplicity = Boss FRV-1 great sounding reverb, not a lot of money.

Maybe even a Strymon Bluesky, simple to use, fantastic sounding but not cheap.

I have both (I'm a huge Peter Green fan so reverb is a must!) and can say hand on heart those two I've mentioned are great pedals. I'd also say check out the HOF pedal and download the JD Simo reverb for it, it's a pretty good patch.

ht-57 likes this.
  9. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Strymon blue sky is great, the big sky is crazy but definitely in the category of complicated.
    Empress makes great pedals too.

ht-57 likes this.
  10. joff

joff Senior Member

Neunaber WET...i have the mono Version 4 with a tone knob...i used to have the mono Version 3 without a tone knob but it was still a great sounding reverb pedal...both are easy to use. :)

Dougj and ht-57 like this.
  11. ht-57

ht-57 Member

Thank you all for your input! It gave me a gr8 baseline by which to research.
    just about all the units mentioned are highly regarded. So it was very easy to find shoot outs and/or direct comparisons of features and functionality.
    the strymon "bluesky" appears to have the right sound and feature combo for my needs.

12. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

Don't fail to consider the Strymon Flint.

13. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

Digitech Polara might be worth a look.

14. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

cant believe no-one has said this already to be honest, but it really depends what you want it to do. are you looking for a bit of verb to warm up your general sound or is it going to be something more important?

if you are just looking for cheap and chearful then get a hof mini, download a toneprint you like and get on with life. if, on the other hand, you are a recording artist into moody ambient stuff then your $400 strymons etc are more your ball park.

kboman likes this.
  15. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

You wont be disappointed with the strymon.

ht-57 likes this.
  16. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

Get a used HOF (1st versio) for under $100 and download some toneprints. It's a great pedal.

17. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

+1 Strymon. Blue or Big.

18. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

Strymon Flint without question. I use a number of different amps for gigging every weekend, depending on the venue. Two of them are vintage Fenders with Reverb and Tremolo (64 DR and 68 SR). The tremolo is very different between the two. I also have a Phaez with no reverb or tremolo and a Peavey Classic 30 with digital reverb and no tremolo.

I broke down and got a Strymon Flint a few years ago. Been gigging with it ever since. Couldn't do without it. I get the same trem/reverb sound, no matter which amp I play. Its a bit expensive but well worth the price in my opinion. Good luck on your search.

19. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Neunaber fan here, beautiful algorithms, grab a slate and you have the option to plug it in ro a PC and turn it into a delay, chorus, and more... but their reverb algorithms are sublime and very non intrusive if you need her to be, and easy as poe to dial in once you select your algorithm (plate/hall/shimmer/erc...)

Would love to AB with a flint, but in pretty tickled and went through heaps of reverb boxes before i settled... glad thats over lol

20. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I don't know shit, but my Tech 21 Boost RvB is a helluva lot more pedal than I need. Excellent presets in the owner's manual. $100 used, tops.