This is just great!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by clutchcargo, Sep 30, 2017.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

So...I finally have a great rig and my tone is sounding really good. So I figure, what the hell, let me throw a little sound clip of my terrible playing up on another thread that I have going.

I launch logic X Pro from my MacBook Pro. Set me snowball mic up near the bottom right speaker. Much like I've seen similar in recording videos.

Did a test run on my tone before I started recording. Everything sounded good to me.

Smacked the record button and started noodleing along for about 3 minutes.

I stopped so I could playback just to hear what It sounded like. Well, it sounded like a 50 gallon bag of a??holes.

I tried using the internal EQ in logic and I couldn't get it to sound good.

What am I doing wrong? Not I have to learn sound engineering also? This is killing me. I just want it to sound like it does live. Or at least close. :dunno:

2. clutchcargo

Possibly my Mic sucks? It was only $50.

3. clutchcargo

Anyone have ideas?

4. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

What's your setup? Mic, Audio Interface, Obviously Logic, Monitors?

5. clutchcargo

I have a snowball mic. Really not a good mic I’m finding out now. I put the mic up to the bottom right speaker on my 4x12 cab. Then started recording right into Logic.

I’m a total noob at recording. And playing to for that matter as well. I’m also not very good at using logic to its fullest effect.

6. clutchcargo

I can’t load any clips because 5 mins of playing is to large. I don’t know how to cut them down. Maybe I can just play a shorter amount of time.

7. clutchcargo

I played for 2 mins and the file is still to large. Trying to upload from Dropbox.

8. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

There's a lot more to capturing a sound than sticking a mic in front of a speaker. Your rig has a certain sound to yours ears, in your room that you like. Putting a mic close to a speaker removes most of the room. While playing it back in the same room, would add some of that back. There's a big difference in how your amp speaker sitting near the floor sounds compared to how things sound coming out of your monitors.

Close mic the amp and adding a pair of stereo mics out in the room would give you more to work with. And with a close mic, moving the mic off center, even small amounts, can make a huge difference.

And of course, the mic makes a big difference. And while a better mic is always preferred, all other things being equal. But, it could still be the cheap mic that gets you the sound you want.

I'd take what you have and play around with mic placement. With a close mic, you'll likely need to add some reverb in your DAW. And yes, there's a reason studio engineers need lots of experience. But, work and experiment with what you have. You'll learn a lot. And you might be surprised with what you can do.

Keep in mind there are a lot of pieces to this puzzle and therefore a lot of combinations. However, there's going to be a lot more combinations you don't like as compared to those you do like. SO expect more of your experiments to sound bad than good until you start to figure out what works for you. Of course, you may stumble on something that sounds great, though quite different than it sounds "live" from your rig.

There are books and YouTube vids on the subject and many techniques you are not likely to come up with on your own. Sound engineering is like any other technology, you learn from those that have already done it.

As far as uploading clips. You should be able to save (sometimes called render) your file as an mp3. It will be very much smaller than the raw wave file you are most likely working with.

clutchcargo likes this.
  9. clutchcargo

Thank you for the advice and recommendations spitfire. I will definitely experiment with different mic positions.

10. clutchcargo

Should I get an SM57 and how would I position that. Also, should the mic be hooked up to the back of my head? Or into my laptop?

11. clutchcargo

Or, should I get something like a Bluetube PreSonus 2 Channel Stereo Tube Preamp and connect that to my head and laptop?

12. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

the snowball sucks.... and you don't need a tube mic pre. That's largely marketing snake oil. Don't get me wrong, there are nice tube pres out there but it's not the ticket to a good recorded sound.

John Scrip and clutchcargo like this.
  13. clutchcargo

So what do you use Freddy?

14. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

a decent mic...doesn't have to be expensive. Dynamic mics like the ubiquitous SM57, some Sennheisers, Audix....all good. Usually I reach for a 57 for the mic I put close to the speaker. Spitfire has good advice about the value of the room that the amp is in and room mics as well. The close mic on the speaker is what gives you the immediacy, the presence crunch, and the room mics give it the sense of real space. I usually use a condenser for a room mic. Or as spitfire mentioned, if you do 2 room mics and pan them you can get a more 3D sense of space. But along with all that you need decent mic pres...again, they don't have to be expensive

15. clutchcargo

Thank you for the reaponse. Do you use an interface in between your amp and computer? Like a focusrite Scarlett. I’m just trying to understand what the mics hook up to.

16. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I use dedicated outboard preamps, they go into AD converters. Something like a Scarlett has the mc pres and AD converters all in one. But even the scarlett is leaps beyond something like the snowball which is a mic, mic pre and converter all in one for $50

clutchcargo likes this.
  17. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

You can export an MP3 file directly from Logic, from the file export menu, or by clicking the bounce button on the master fader in the mix window.
    That'll save ya a lot of bytes.
    Just be sure to set cycle markers to start & end of what ya want to export.

clutchcargo likes this.