This 1952 Les Paul Original?

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Roberto Saenz, Dec 17, 2017.

1. tigger

tigger Senior Member

And how can you tell neck shape from a photo?

pinefd likes this.
  2. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I'm not sure what you guys are seeing (or smoking) that makes you say so definitively that this is a fake. It's certainly been modified/converted, and the inlays look maybe a little too white in these photos, but other than that, I'm not seeing anything, from these photos at least, that would make me conclude that this is a fake.

Frank

3. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Senior Member

Dimarzio Super Distortion pups. There is probably nothing left on that guitar to establish how old it really is, old pots are probably gone, no serial number, hardware not original, etc.

4. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Senior Member

Nice guitar, but I'm not gonna jump on the bandwagon of calling it a fake.

Thermionik likes this.
  5. Roberto Saenz

Roberto Saenz Junior Member

Hello again,

The guitar has sold so I cannot even see it. I was always thinking - is it fake or just real but everything changed? From the pics it is very very hard to see, that is why I asked on this forum, there are a lot of experts and I thank all of you for all of your valious information and your time. The mistery we will never now if it is 52 or not!! If it ever comes up again for sale and I can go see it personally I will and promise to write on this forum for all you wonderful people :)

Thank you

RevWillie, VictorB, pinefd and 2 others like this.
  6. greens

greens Senior Member

I've never been much of a fan of quilt tops until now, but I'd love to see one with a whole top like the partial top on this guitar.

7. Vmcompetello

Vmcompetello Junior Member

I was always told to look at the neck binding on a Gibson. I don't know if it was true in real early models but the Gibson neck bindings cover the end of the frets. The frets are not shaved down to the binding, the binding is shaped to include the fret.

8. GermHerm

GermHerm Member

Don't buy. This is a kind of a chimera. Maybe the body is original. The rest is'nt.

9. jcreech100

jcreech100 Junior Member

Yeah, definitely looks fake...but...it looks awesome! How does it sound??

Thermionik likes this.
  10. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

I don't know if it's a 52, and surely everything has been replaced more than once. On the other hand....Gilmour's black strat has had more work done on it than Cher and I wouldn't bat eye before laying my money down for that assuming I was in a position to buy it.

That looks like a real (old)Gibson that has been personalized repeatedly to match the player at the time. It probably has more stories to tell than most of us. $10.00 says if you got your hands on it you might experience a life changing epiphany.

Thermionik and pinefd like this.
  11. Thermionik

Thermionik Senior Member

Exactamundo... if it felt good to you, and if it sounded good to you, yah should have bought it. By the same token, if'n you had doubts, you should have walked away - because after you shell out spondulaks for something doubtful, those doubts just grow and grow inside your brain-case thing... probably, with hindsight, just as well she was sooooo far away that you couldn't get there.

12. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

At best it's a 52 body and neck. Everything else is a replacement.

RAG7890 likes this.