Thinking of ordering a '69 CS Strat...suggestions

Discussion in 'Fender' started by toymaker, May 28, 2017.

1. toymaker

toymaker Senior Member

So - thinking of adding a '69 CS Strat to the fold...basically chasing a long held dream (there are basically 3 guitars I wish I had never sold that do not hold "sentimental" value to me - a blue flame epiphone lp, a 2000's BRW McCarty of the 250 run and a black '69 relic strat I bought circa 2000).

I love the big headstock fenders - I wanted one forever growing up...and when I found my black '69 - it was love at first sight. Even though I wasnt a fan of maple boards - the price was right and the dea was made. Of course life and money forced the sale...and then I found LP's and never got around to acquiring a replacement.

So now the time has came - I have owned every LP I wanted to try and am very happy with my herd...so its time to branch out. It basically came down to a '60 Strat, a '69 Strat or a '63 Custom Tele (one I have yet to own - but which someone I grew up watching owned and have lusted after for a very long time).

Will be a NOS or Closet Classic this time - and a rosewood board...but having trouble picking a finish. I want to do white, but we all know thats going to spark the "hero worship" thing...and its just not me...too many imitators out there with white strats trying to clone him. Then thought about tri color sunburst (first big headstock I ever wanted was sunburst)- the classic strat finish in my idea...but this is a custom shop...so why not go different.

Aged light blue might be neat - but did it exist in the late 60's? (and I might do my 60s strat in daphne or lp blue) - ocean turquois is neat..but again, did they really make any (not that i pretend this is a true '69...or completely accurate for that matter).

Suggestions on finish or spec changes I should look at ?

2. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

I ordered my 69 NOS several years ago so I am not sure what Fender allows any more. However, I requested:

Thickest neck shape possible
    6105 frets
    Lightest body available
    Handwound Abigail Ybarra pickups

Back then, that would be what they call an optioned team build. If you work with a good Fender CS dealer, they will hook you up with most any option you need without resorting to the price of a masterbuilt.

And yes, I ordered mine in Olympic White with a maple board but not because of Jimi worship.

3. toymaker

toymaker Senior Member

Can you still get Abby pu's ? from Fender ? I know I can just find a set used somewhere and add on - just noticed they dont list them on the site.

I think white looks best - and should put aside the reluctance to buy one just because of fear of being "labeled" - I understand 99% of the people who buy them arent posers...its that 1% who are though who seem to be the most annoying possible.

4. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

I think she retired a few years ago but Fender pickups are damn good for OEM. Be careful with Abby's though. There are two sets out there. The common set is the 69 CS set that bears Abby's initials. They were wound by her staff under her supervision and Abby initialed them when complete. These can be found used all day long for around $100 a set and they sound very good.

The other set of Abby's are the limited editions she personally wound. There were only 300 of these made I believe and they bear her signature, not just her initials. These are selling for stupid money now with cheapest I have seen being $700 for a set. Abby also did handwinds for CS special order guitars, which is how I got my two sets. These are also signed by Abby and also go for stupid money.

The handwound Abby's sound a bit warmer and thicker to me than the 69 CS sets. The biggest difference being heard in the bridge pup. The CS 69 bridge can get a bit glassy and hard sounding. Abby's sound fatter and warmer.

The best advice I can give you is to find a very good Fender CS dealer that is willing to work for you to insure you get the guitar you want.

5. mekhem

mekhem Member

IMHO: As an owner of a NOS CS69 (reverse peghead) with the "Abby" signed pickups... <I got stupid lucky...>

If you want a CS 69 guitar:
    >Depending on how big you like your necks (mine is a little smaller than normal I think at .85. Wildwood has FCS 69's at .87-.90) the 69 U can be pretty big by default
    > Don't get the reverse peghead. Its an astounding pain is the A## to tune. Looks cool - does sound cool (yes it changes the bass strings sound) but its a tremendous pain to tune the high strings.
    > Do get the Hand wound 69 pickups. They may not be wound by the legendary Abby but they are bright and chimey and vintage strat sounding.
    > Color - Its your CS. I am no expert but I think that period correct would be Black-White-Sunburst as the base colors. Maybe CAR and LBP as 'standard' custom colors in there too but I think that they still had the custom color catalog in 69/70. I know its a stretch but Paisley would be period correct as well (That would be pretty cool really)

I went through this exercise recently (i didn't order it... yet...) but basically I wanted to build the guitar that of i played it in a shop that I would just buy it right away. No haggling - no trade ins - just pop down the cash.

Its your build - build it the way you want to.

toymaker and NotScott like this.
  6. safeasmilk

safeasmilk Senior Member

f nder custom shop michael landau 68, and a fender custom shop 69 reversed headstock.. IMG_4277.JPG IMG_4284.JPG IMG_4294.JPG IMG_4295.JPG

Guitarhack, Kris Ford and toymaker like this.
  7. safeasmilk

safeasmilk Senior Member

started a thread bout these two, got crickets.. anyways here they are..

8. toymaker

toymaker Senior Member

Thanks for the advice.

I thought about the paisley - only reason I probably won't, there are some great MIJ models out there still reasonably priced - I'm just waiting for one to pop up at a good price and will probably jump.

Kris Ford likes this.
  9. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I found a '03 MIM 70's Classic Series that REALLY was a game changer for me..the good ones can not be dismissed IMO.
    Earliest ones were basically AVRI 70s built 80 miles south..
    [​IMG]

safeasmilk likes this.
  10. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

I wouldn't worry about what someone thinks of your finish color. If you want white, do white. I have an original 1970 and it is black. I'm all about maple if I can get it. Big headstocks yes indeed!
    [​IMG]

Kris Ford and Falconbill like this.
  11. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I Loooooooove this STRAT!!

Crotch likes this.
  12. BigDipper15

BigDipper15 Henry Hater Premium Member

I would go with color over color. Oly white over 3 tone sunburst relic. Would look awesome.

13. Guitarhack

Guitarhack Senior Member

Working through a Custom Shop dealer I think the sky's the limit on what you can customize.

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/how-to-order/

Josephina is the new winder at the Fender Custom shop. She apprenticed under Abby.

14. RangerJay

RangerJay Glam Bastard Premium Member

You should make sure of you fret choice. While the 6105s are nice, the regular medium jumbos are my preferred fret on a Strat. Switching back and forth with an LP is more comfortable.

15. toymaker

toymaker Senior Member

Just stopping back to update - I think this is the exact combo I am going to go with..

See alot of the 50/60s with paint over (well. not alot because it is still "wasteful" to spend $$ painting over paint) but cannot recall seeing any '69's (which are scarce enough to start) - but to truly make a strat look used - its a good start in my opinion as so many guys painted over their sunburst to make it a custom color.

Also thinking about a '63 custom tele in metalic red

Its nice having all this extra work keeping $$ coming in - but would be nice to get a little time to enjoy it too...oh well, at least a 3-4 month wait so hopefully by the time this shows up - I'll have the time

16. BigDipper15

BigDipper15 Henry Hater Premium Member

I have a 69 HSS relic on order with a maple board and the color is vintage white over 3tone. I'll post pics when I get it. Probably another month to 6 weeks out.