Thinking of aging my R7

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Encrypted, Mar 6, 2016.

1. geddy

geddy Senior Member

...so it can already be beat up, makes sense, no?

No sense at all. But if you want to do it...don't look to people on here for justification.

2. Phusion974

Phusion974 Senior Member

Are you serious?

So you want our guitar to look aged and relic'd, yet your afraid of playing it. :hmm:

3. zdoggie

zdoggie Junior Member

hi encrypted, just my opinion,seems, like an exercise in futility,ya know what, those 57 lp in 57 were beautiful and your 57 ri probably is too,I wear clothing to protect my investments nothing pisses me off more than some guy defacing a beautiful guitar in the name of vintage this is just a fad inmo you my look back someday with regrets,play your guitar and enjoy it ,if what I said sounds opinionated well your right so consider this the next time you go to buy a new car be sure to take a sledge hammer and beat beyond recognition thanks zdoggie

4. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor

Couldn't agree more!

5. Riffster

Riffster Senior Member

It does make sense, that first scratch or ding is always painful and when there is only one it just sucks.

The first scratch in my BMW hurt me, the second one did too, but then after many it does not matter, this prepared me for when my toddler put a 10 inch scratch that went through the paint.

6. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

No. Makes no sense. I prefer to buy used beaten good sounding guitars for that reason. But if it´s new, you can´t fear the signs of being used. Just use it and it will age naturally and beautifully.
    Take care of headstock breaks and bigger damages, of course.

Or, exchange it plus some money back for and beatened one.

7. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

Go for it. what's the worst that could happen?

[​IMG]

8. Riffster

Riffster Senior Member

So, makes no sense and then you say the opposite?

As somebody in the exact same situation as the OP it makes sense to me, of course now that my R8 has been dinged quite a bit it does not bother me anymore.

Knowing that a new guitar (or car) is going to get dinged is different to when it actually happens.

Exchanging your guitar for one with dings? that makes sense?

Why is it OK for a guitar to age beautifully? what does that mean? what is YOUR idea on that? I saw a 1959 Les Paul in an exhibit and that thing looked new, it was the real deal but looked newer than a new VOS.

Nah, on this subject everybody as "their idea" of how guitar ageing should look and some get easily triggered when others concept of ageing is different than theirs.

I have dinged my R8 with the case and strap locks, two items that are supposed to preserve the guitar, go figure, that was an organically stupid thing to do but since it is organic I guess it qualifies as mojo.

This is an old thread by the way.

9. bbaug14

bbaug14 Senior Member

I think what a lot of people don't like is unrealistic aging. Granted, opinions vary on what looks good, but certain things like scratches that go under pickup rings or whatever (meaning couldn't really happen to an assembled guitar) are what a lot of people don't like. I love a "well aged" guitar, but I don't like aging that looks "fake" if that makes sense.

10. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor

Just take it slow and, like deadlyweasle said, be thoughtful with where and how you mark it up and don't take the guitar apart. Start light and go from there. I've done a bunch and the first one was ok, but over time I got better at it and then decided to redo the guitar.

I'm sure it's sacrilege to post a pic of a Strat here, but since we're discussing aging, I'll do it.

The only kind of Fender I like to play is a worked in one. So I took a nice vintage reissue that was finished with nitro (fortunately) and went to town on it and pretty much did it all at once (over a few days). After awhile I didn't like it and decided to refinish the entire guitar and then age it slowly and methodically. The first go at this one was several years ago and I did the refin to to fiesta red with a sonic blue undercoat about a year ago and have been scratching it up ever since and I'm still not done. Every time I play it, I pay attention to where I mostly play on the fretboard and where the rest of my body comes into contact with the guitar. Think about how many times you've turned around while the guitar was strapped on your shoulder and you bang the headstock into your amp, or mic stand, or anything. Think about leaning the guitar up agains the wall or amp... what parts are vulnerable to marks and dents?

Plus, if you really screw it up, there's plenty of people on this forum who can fix it for you.

Here's the Strat... it might be another year before it's done, but I won't feel like I have to refinish it again haha!

On the right:

[​IMG]

First relic job:

[​IMG]

Where it stands now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  11. deadlyweasel

deadlyweasel Silver Supporter

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  12. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

Sounds like a good recipe for a headstock break.

13. jstarr823

jstarr823 Senior Member

I'm thinking about manufacturing clothing that will expedite the natural relic process:

1. Gloves with steel wool lined palms and sandpaper coated fingertips.
    2. Shirt with one sleeve wrapped in sandpaper (your choice of grit for light ~ heavy relic) and adorned with random bits of blunt metal objects. Available in left and right-hand configurations.
    3. Raw cinder block belt buckle. Meat Tenderizer option for the metal heads.
    4. Scotchbrite thigh pads for that "sittin' down" wear.
    5. Baseball cap with bill mounted high-intensity UV lamp.
    6. Necklace with a muriatic acid misting system.

Now excepting investors.

14. guitarjoem

guitarjoem Double Platinum Supporter MLP Vendor

This is awesome!
    You could sew chain link into the front of the shirt ( for the random bits of metal), and invert cans of compressed air under the armpits that activate and spray Freon across the guitar's surface during play.

Since you're accepting investors I've got $20 I'd put towards a prototype! lol

15. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I always thought mojo was in the player, not the axe. :shrug:

16. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

Tell you what, you sound like a nice guy, so I'll do this as a favor for you.

Send me your R7, and I'll send it back in 15 years with an dead on accurate 15 year aging process, guaranteed.

You only pay shipping both ways.