Thinking of aging my R7

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Encrypted, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Encrypted

Encrypted Senior Member

So I have an R7 that basically mint and i'm always scared to played for the sake of getting beat up. So I'm thinking of aging/relicing it so it can already be beat up, makes sense, no? :thumb:

Now, its already a vos model, no the hardware is already decently faded.
    However, the previous owned had polished the guitar to take the sticky vos finish off.

So I want to have buckle rash, so the point where so of the paint has come off on the backs top. In addition some arm rash, where your arm touches the body. of course, i kinda want to give it that vos type finish back, and of course the chipping around the headstock. Dings and scratches are fairly easy, the fender custom shop simply uses a bunch of keys on the guitar, and that looks pretty authentic. As for checking, i don't really like how it looks, especially on goldtops, but i probably will like to have some, just for a more natural look.

Now i know most of you will probably say, "just play it hard" or "use it more often", but I don't really do live shows or gigs, I'm just a bed room player.

What are the best methods for this type of stuff?

Thanks.

2 people like this.
  2. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

1: I want a guitar that looks as if it has been ridden hard and put away wet through years of use.
    2: I want a guitar that has play wear that looks remotely normal for a well cared for guitar.

Pick one.

1 person likes this.
  3. Encrypted

Encrypted Senior Member

#1.

4. Axeman16

Axeman16 V.I.P. Member

jesus, you want to age your guitar so you dont have to baby it?? why not skip the aging process and play it. put a belt on, play your guitar.

whats the point of making a guitar look like you played it a sh*t ton when you actually havent?

your better off selling it and buying an aged on if thats what you want. all you will do by relicing it is ruin the value of what a mint r7 is worth.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Best advice ever.

6. Encrypted

Encrypted Senior Member

I play everyday, actually.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. JohanHaellgren

JohanHaellgren Senior Member

And off we go again!

OP: Gibsons lacquer is unfortunately very hard to check naturally. You will have to refinish it in a Nitro without all the crappy plastic containments. Put a buckle on, shove your shirt in the pants (or play without one, for extra rock N roll poins), and play away. Depending on how hard you rock out, it might take a while for the buckle rash to show up, but it will also give you control over the process. The VOS look is pretty easy, take a look at how Badly Drawn Les does it (On his 02' to 59 conversion). Good luck, and keep us updated!

1 person likes this.
  8. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Problem solved.

Next!

9. Encrypted

Encrypted Senior Member

Great reference! Thank you!
    I think i'm going blind for not seeing that post.

1 person likes this.
  10. blackat

blackat V.I.P. Member

I've done it to guitars. Good luck.

Sometimes you don't have enough time left in your life to do a proper aging, I could die next year....

11. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Proper aging is MUCH harder than a proper refinish. Do it wrong, and the guitar looks like crap.

12. Jeremiah

Not to sound like a broken record but all these "aged" guitars astound me. The only way a guitar could get like that is if it was never wiped down and went all over the world in the backs of vans and airplanes in freezing cold temperatures.

There are examples all over the place of mint condition guitars 50 years and over that were well cared for. They're like Prince, stay out of the sun, or at 57 years old, look as good, you will not...

13. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Here's my all original '58. Played constantly.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  14. Axeman16

Axeman16 V.I.P. Member

for contrast heres a shot of the back of my 02 les paul, got her in 06 and she was minty. the great thing about it is when the guitar was new it looked new, and now that its been played hard for 10 years it looks like it was played hard for 10 years!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

You can probably ignore all the posts from people telling YOU what to do with YOUR guitar so that you can be exactly like THEM... if they don't get where you are coming from they probably shouldn't have responded in the first place. In other words... its your guitar, not theirs, and you can do whatever you want with it.

I happen to think an aged guitar looks awesome and while its true that you can 'just play it' and hope for it to naturally achieve some of that awesomeness... in many, if not most, cases it ain't gonna happen. I take extremely good care of my guitars... I don't leave them outside (so they don't rust or check), I don't wear giant belt buckles (so there is absolutely no buckle rash), I don't smoke (so there are no ashburns or yellowing), I cover it when I solder or work on it (so there's no solder splatter or screwdriver scratches), I use the proper size tools (so the threads aren't all stripped)... I can go on and on, but the point is, while I certainly don't baby my guitars, I play them hard and put them away wet, in the 45+ years I've been playing, with the exception of a few minor dings here and there, my guitars are relatively pristine. My amps, cars, tools, scuba gear, house etc. are pretty much the same... I just take good care of my stuff.

I don't really care if they have been artificially aged, but I think my aged Goldie, Beast, Shanks, Sandy, Redeye, Allman, Pagey, etc. are some of the coolest guitars I have ever seen or played... people that don't like them don't have to buy them and don't have to like them, but anyone saying they are not cool really has no concept of what cool means... at least what it means to me, which is frankly all I really care about when I am spending MY money on a guitar.

With that said, proper aging is an artform and if you think you can just do it to a guitar and have it look as good as those done by 'artists' then you are probably in for some disappointment. It took these guys years of trial and error to achieve the results they have, and if you want to go it yourself, be prepared for it NOT looking like you hope and then having a really crappy looking guitar that, most likely, no one else will want either.

So my advice would be to either sell it and get one that ticks off all your checkboxes, or send it to someone that knows what they are doing. An R7 is a really fine guitar and anything less would be undeserving... IMHO. :cheers:

6 people like this.
  16. badly drawn les

badly drawn les Senior Member

First up, that's an expensive guitar to practice relicing on. I did my first relic job on a Squier & I learnt loads. Maybe get a cheap Epi/Tokai to try on first.
    Second, if you want checking you will need to strip down & re-fin with proper nitro, Gibson lacquer is full of plasticisers & very tough to get checking. Some people have managed it but I couldn't. Here's my attempt.http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/cus...rst-re-fin-make-over-project.html#post6638244

1 person likes this.
  17. Mr. Satchmo

Mr. Satchmo Senior Member

If you want it done right, send it to historic makeovers

2 people like this.
  18. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

Just ask yourself what causes all these things to happen in real life. It's really that simple.

What causes belt buckle rash? What do guitarist wear on their arms/wrists/fingers at major concerts that promotes arm and edge wear? If a drunk roadie takes your guitar backstage to change strings, what can the guitar bump into along the way? While it's on the bench, do you think the roadie clears the bench of tools and beer before he starts? If the guitar is left in it's case in the gear trailer overnight at a Fargo, ND gig in January, what happens to the finish after the guitar warms up?...and what if the Fargo gig was a two-nighter?

Sit down, put two and two together, and you'll figure this out. :thumb:

5 people like this.
  19. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

I want a girl with a short skirt.... and a long jacket... :cool:

1 person likes this.
  20. Jeremiah

Lol

1 person likes this.