Thinking about a new guitar.....

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Pwrmac7600, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Haven't made any purchases in a while, which isn't a bad thing, but now for some reason I am thinking about trying out an ESP LTD EC-1000. Anyone have any experience with them? What's the quality like? and more importantly what's the neck like?

2. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Well I got one of these - EC-1001FR

IMG_4014.JPG

Quality wise, it is the quality you would expect out of the WMI factory in Korea - impeccable quality like PRS SE's, JTV Variax and others made in the same factory.

However, there are some specs which may or may not not rub you the right way:

1. Nut width is narrower at 1.65" vs 1.695" of a Gibson Les Paul. I personally prefer narrower necks, so I love this feature. The neck is narrow and also quite slim. It is not 'flat-slim' like what you find on Ibanez. It is C-shape rounded but slim, due to the narrowness of the neck. Personally I love the neck profile, it is extremely comfortable for me.

2. The fingerboard radius is 13.7" vs 12" of a Gibson Les Paul. This is the part that I really dislike. I find it too flat. I found that all LTD guitars are made with this radius. If you want a normal 12" radius, you will need to find a MIJ version (E-II, Elite or ESP). This even applies to artist models, so if you buy a Hetfield or Hammett signature model LTD, you'll still get the 13.7" radius, whereas their actual ESP guitars are 12" radius. All I can think of is that the LTD guitars are made so well they had to differentiate it in this way to make people want to buy their MIJ counterparts.

3. The top carve of the body results in a pretty sharp edge along the body. There is some discomfort when the forearm rubs against the edge, but I soon got used to it.

If you're looking for a MIJ Eclipse, adam of angels is selling one in the Classifieds (I have no relation with him, just love looking at the guitars he has available for sale!).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Pwrmac7600 likes this.
  3. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

I purchased one a little over a year ago and was just not happy with it, so back it went. I was expecting a bit more from it and it just didn't deliver.

4. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Thank you very much for the detailed info, this helps me alot, and gives me a better idea of what to look for.
    Greatly appreciated!

tzd likes this.