Think Ebony FB, sub 1K guitars from Gibson is OK ?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by jamman, Aug 31, 2017.

1. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

My B4 was built in the end of '14 and my CC22 was the end of '16 and the B4 just has the smoothest slickest board I could imagine where the CC22 is still very nice but has looser grain and was a smig dryer. A little fret doctor pretty much evened the score though.

Don't know if the ebony quality is diminishing or just nature of beastesses.

2. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

Na
    Gibson has never stained fretboards from all I have heard from many that have worked at Gibson over the years. They just didn't get into the staining thing from what I have personally heard. They wanted to get the best wood possible without staining. Do not know where you are getting this from.

Yes, some are more brownish than others, especially 70's and 80's models where Gibson didn't worry as much about the "black" factor , from consumers, but from what I have heard, none were stained from the factory. My 2005 Les Paul Custom with ebony fretboard has a few brown streaks in it.

bulletproof likes this.
  3. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Of course you believe Gibson. :)

I usually believe what my own eyes have seen on those boards. But sure I'm not asking you to believe me. Couldn't care less honestly. :p

From Stewmac;

"This is a nicely made ebony fingerboard, but it’s streaky. It needs some Grecian Formula: break out the little bottle of black fingerboard stain that Gibson, PRS, and other builders use to get that deep ebony look."

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    bulletproof and Who like this.
  4. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

Guess that is why you have so many complaining about Gibsons light rosewood, etc... If they truly stained that wouldn't be a issue. They would all be super dark.

Yeah, I usually refer to Stewmac for my Gibson info over info from people I know that work or have worked at Gibson. :confused:

Believe what you wish. I've personally heard enough info from Gibson employees. That is enough for my personal belief. Yours may differ, which is fine.

Overall I have no dog in this fight. I have all the guitars I need/want at this time. No Gibson or any other is temping me to buy new at this point, regardless of what they offer.

bulletproof and KS 5150 like this.
  5. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

I know crap wood when I see it! I know rosewood when I hear it! I know Brazilian when I smell it!

6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

No..Norlin had good ebony. :D

bulletproof, jamman and Who like this.
  7. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Seriously?

I don't doubt that people with a good ear can really discern differences in what they are hearing, but I question how fretbaord material can make enough difference by the time the vibration has dealt with inlays, neck, frets, pickups, amp, etc.

I think fretboard material is 99.9999% about appearance.

I, of course, could be wrong.

bulletproof and FennRx like this.
  8. amorrow

amorrow Senior Member

Saying black over streaked/brown ebony is not a quality thing is saying purely aesthetic color and inclusions have nothing to do with "quality". Not true by any reasonable definition. Woods, diamonds, basically any natural substance or man made material has an aesthetic element as well as functional aspect of "quality".

9. amorrow

amorrow Senior Member

Here's a shot of a Gibson Custom ebony board. This one is on my 2005 and you can see the typical dense, solid and entirely black ebony with the inlays removed. Each chip was as black as the visible surface. Most Historics I've seen have boards with comparable quality...yes considering color and appearance of the wood. I can't speak for '70s-80s Gibsons, but then again I thought this thread was comparing new to new.

[​IMG]

bulletproof and Blue Blood like this.
  10. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

I don't believe for a second that someone can discern the types of rosewood on a fretboard on an electric guitar going thru an amp.

This sounds like braz!

A rosewood acoustic? Absolutely.

bulletproof and Howard2k like this.
  11. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Did you look closely at that board? You can see streaks and grain. Grain in ebony? I doubt you would be happy with that. Add the frets over binding and the poly finish and you have a guitar that is much cheaper than the CS model. And that's not even factoring in the low overhead to produce a guitar in Asia versus the high overhead of the USA.

12. PierM

PierM Premium Member

True Historics BBs;

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

Fuss about nothing.

I've every sympathy for anyone who wants ebony on an LPC specifically for historical-accuracy purposes. If you're someone who is buying because you want an accurate reproduction, I fully support that.

But otherwise? Most of the Customs aren't historic reissues, and the fuss about Richlite is a fuss about nothing. It looks fine. Feels fine. Sounds fine. Wears fine. Can't tell the difference between it and an ebony board. There's nothing crap about Richlite at all.

lpthomas and PierM like this.
  14. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Ding,Ding,Ding ....We have a Winner

:thumbs:

What's up with them Frets on those TH BB's ???? The bottom pic don't look like TH frets to me . More like a mid 90's size . those are huge ... And it looks like a IRW fret board ,, ....

I've got 3 Gibson's with Ebony Boards (IIRC 2 X's 2008, 1 X 2009) , all 3 are a dark as can be got ...

RAGS hit the nail on the head .... Ok, the Epi wont get you Gibson's best quality , But for my $$$$ I'd Take REAL wood over "richjunk" ,,,everyday ....

Related Point being ,,, As posted on our forum recently . A member Tried to do a M2M that used Ebony and Gibson refused ... Nice Custom shop leadership HJ ...
    But you could buy the Epi JA @ sub-1K price and get it .... Something is Off about that

Just Look at Gibson Jazz Boxes . Don't see any "junk " Ebony ,,,Do you ??? They have "good" Ebony ...

bulletproof and DanD like this.
  15. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I play only Maple Strats cause their "snappier"......whatever the f*ck that means :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

bulletproof, jamman and Howard2k like this.
  16. Low Gain

Low Gain Senior Member

We should all sell our Historics and buy ebony equipped Epiphones.

17. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

18. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Senior Member

Proof otherwise?

19. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

It's all about profits. Gibson has a mega ton more overhead and labor costs, being in the USA, than overseas guitars. Gibson also has way more hands on production than most overseas companies and Gibson tries to use the best woods, hardware, etc... they can acquire. Overseas models seem to go as cheap as they can, where they can, to still sell.

The Custom Shop is even more expensive considering the higher wages, more experienced builders, more hands on, attention to details, benefits, etc... Their price tags = profit margin over actual build costs. Add in that Gibson and all other manufacturers sell these guitars to dealers for much cheaper price tags so the dealers make decent profits also.

That's how things are priced and it's how business's work. If there isn't decent profit, for the manufacturer and dealer from a product, then why waste time to make it or as a dealer sell it?

The Epiphone is at $999 and you can guarantee Epiphone is still making a very nice profit even at that price. Just shows how little production time and cost overall Epiphone has in these guitars. If they cost $999, I bet dealers get them for $500-$700. Even at $500 to dealers, Epiphone is making profit.

Makes you personally really wonder about the woods, etc... they are actually using to make these guitars. I found out many many years ago that dealer specifications are majorly deceiving.

bulletproof and lpthomas like this.
  20. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Gibson only wanted to get the "best wood possible" if it met their financial constraints / guidelines.

I know for a fact that both Gibson & Fender do not get the best wood possible because they won't pay for it..............unlike others. :naughty: :p :D

:cheers2:

bulletproof and paruwi like this.