Think Ebony FB, sub 1K guitars from Gibson is OK ?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by jamman, Aug 31, 2017.

1. jamman

jamman Premium Member

PSA ????
    Looking at WW this morning I ran across these :
    https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/1706204675/limited-edition-johnny-custom-outfit-3/?cat_id=32
    Felt the need to show this to all the defenders of CS that have "CrapI'mgettingrich" off you guys fret boarded guitars ... Yup saving them trees ,,,alright ...

Weird, If you buy a Gibson Historic that had Ebony(originally as pre 2010, IIRC) @ multi K prices you only can get Richcrap ... But buy Epiphone @ 1K and you get
    REAL Ebony ....

Sad for all Gibson CS guitar buyers ,,, Duped and pick pocketed IMO .
    That is another example why I'd never buy a CS with a composite Paper fret board ,. I'd be pissed .
    In fact ,,,, I'm having a huge issue about Gibson after seeing this 1 .

Geronimo, bulletproof and RAG7890 like this.
  2. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

Kinda torn on this. I like the fact that you can get a less expensive guitar with some nice appointments, ie ebony. But not being able to get them on a $3K custom is a turnoff.

3. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

1 more time in English...

Lloyd_m, Mr Insane, Who and 3 others like this.
  4. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

:lol::lol::lol:

Who likes this.
  5. amorrow

amorrow Senior Member

I know next to nothing about that Epiphone guitar or how they're constructed, but I'd be very surprised if that "Ebony" board is not a laminate or much thinner piece, and/or it's dyed lighter ebony or other wood. The board on the guitar linked looks grainy like rosewood, and unlike any Gibson CS or vintage ebony board I've seen.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  6. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Most of the ebony Epi gets/uses is crap (C-grade) anyway, so...

Who likes this.
  7. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Gibson using ebony on US made guitars has to be the issue here.

bulletproof and Stuff like this.
  8. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

I'd absolutely love to buy a new ES-355 and just blown away you can't get one with a real ebony board anymore. I am actively searching used pre-2012 models.

The ebony boards on my two LPC reissues are quite nice. The '54, I actually had to look at in sun light to see the grain.

Geronimo, bulletproof and Who like this.
  9. jamman

jamman Premium Member

:lol: here you go CrapI'mgettingrich "Crap I'm getting rich"

Yup, point was Gibson , who makes Epiphone, is putting Ebony (a grade of good or not so good not the focus) on an inexpensive guitar, but a Multi $K , CS Gibson LP,( even if you try and order a M2M LP with Ebony) can not be had .....
    Along with Gibson never reducing the price for a CS USA made guitar that now uses Richjunk on guitars that historicly used to get real Ebony .
    Funny how the other big name builders use Ebony , A few have BRW (New PRS Listed on WW ) Recently ... But Gibson still charges top $$$ for substitute, not wood, Fretboards ....

Norlin V2 ....

bulletproof and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  10. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

Epiphone make many guitars with ebony, the Tony Iommi and Brent Hinds V both have it.

There is a reason the V was basically sold out instantly. I never saw one here in aus.

bulletproof and Who like this.
  11. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

The real question is why is the Epi Johnny A with Ebony a quarter of the price of the Gibson Custom Shop version?

If anyone thinks it costs 4 x more to make that Guitar in the US Custom Shop then.........Henry has a deal for you. :laugh2:

:cheers2:

12. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Who said ebony on sub 1K?

[​IMG]

13. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

At least they didn't make the inlays correct, That would have been real kick the to the crotch...(no offense)

PierM and Who like this.
  14. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Would it surprise any of you if I told you the Ebony board on my $899 Hinds V is nicer quality tighter grain than on two of my Gibson LPC that cost $3500? Because it's absolutely true sadly

Geronimo, bulletproof, rich85 and 2 others like this.
  15. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Member

What quality ebony? Single slab or multi-piece? Origin/species? Look at ESP for example... they throw ebony on every other model they make... but it is poor quality... multi-ply... and coated with a heavy urethane... like plywood dipped in plastic... and it sounds like it too.

Just saying.

16. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

I have a Gibson with ebony FB that I've spent less than $1,000 on. In fact, the guitar was $450. I've spent that much on accessories for it.

[​IMG]

I'll admit....I know this has nothing to do with anything but the thread title..... I just like posting pics.

bulletproof, bungle, Howard2k and 3 others like this.
  17. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

It's about quality of the wood or if it is even real ebony. Alot of the ebony you see on overseas guitars is very poor and stained to hell to make it look black. I have my doubts if most of it is real ebony or not.

Hate to say it but Richlite is superior to what most of the cheap overseas guitars use and call ebony.

18. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I agree. The only ESP guitars with quality ebony are the actual branded ESP's. They are really nicely done IMO but of course they cost $$ very comparable to what Gibson charges.

The cheaper Ltd.'s, ect... are scrap wood glued together and stained to black.

bulletproof and lpthomas like this.
  19. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Assumptions

bulletproof likes this.
  20. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Gibson stained its Ebony for 30 years. This is another myth with people believing all those jet black ebony is natural color. It is not. I've seen plenty of late 70, and 80 being sanded to be refretted and they were all typical brown streaked ebony. The same kind of slabs they are using these days, but for some reason they stopped using the dye. Said that, color never been a quality factor. Always been just an aesthetic thing requested by the market.

[​IMG]

bulletproof, RAG7890 and Who like this.