Things You Wish You Knew When You Started Playing Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Axiomatik, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

I wish I would have known about setting up my guitar.

In hind sight - My first guitar at 14 yrs old badly needed its intonation done.
    String adjustment and pickup height probably could have been altered as well.

2. paradice

paradice Senior Member

Wish I’d learned intervals properly and stuck to learning one octave/chord tones then moving them about instead of trying to memorise 2/3 octave...6 string shapes/patterns etc

parts likes this.
  3. stiff fingers

stiff fingers Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I wish I had not learned this the hard way.
    Your guitar is only yours if you have "proof of purchase", and it is only worth what you insure it for.

frankv likes this.
  4. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

Wow! This is going to take some work to do for my pea brain.

5. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

Expanding on the technique aspect: That Carpel Tunnel Syndrome is a real thing and that it happens to guitarists and other musicians that keep their hands in flexed or awkward positions for extended periods, so you should develop early habits to minimize your risk of getting it.

I'm trying to learn Incubus's "Drive" and just learned that the band's lead guitarist had to have surgery for it.

On the road, though he'd like to use varying guitars for different songs as he used to do, he now has to only stick to one type of guitar, because, even after the surgery, maintaining a relatively constant position is best for him so it doesn't flare up again. He briefly talks about it in a Premier Guitar "Rig Rundown" available on line.

I think it's something new guitarists should just keep in mind early on.

6. andydgg

andydgg Junior Member

prioritise alternate picking, because some time in the future you'll meet a teacher who insists on it

7. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

That a lot of classic rock songs are SLIGHTLY tuned up a bit because of the recording process back in the day. Would have made me a lot less aggravated when I knew something was off while playing to the songs.

8. KC Superstar

KC Superstar Junior Member

25 days late, but thanks for the welcome Moo. 8=) I don't get the time to log on too often, but it's good to see what goes on in the LP world when I do, and anything left-handed related grabs my attention straight away. I think we need more pics of lovely lefty guitars as well. Once I've figured out how to do it, I think I might start a Lefty Show And Tell thread. What do you reckon?

MooCheng likes this.