Things You Wish You Knew When You Started Playing Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Axiomatik, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Member

What are something things you wish you knew when you started playing guitar?

I've been a lifelong bass player, but have only recently dove into truly playing guitar. I want to make sure I establish good habits. For example, I noticed I'd been hold a pic with a three fingers so I'm changing that, but I'm curious as to what else I can do differently.

Attached Files:

Who likes this.
  2. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

A pinky can in fact be used to play the pentatonic scale.

3. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

You only need a guitar. Everything else is a distraction from learning.

Atalantos and jeff_farkas like this.
  4. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

I wish I would have known better than to learn to play right-handed.

KC Superstar and LeftyF2003 like this.
  5. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Member

hmm only need "a" guitar? :p:D

6. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD!.........It's a Nerlin! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Lifelong bass player here too, 15 year guitar player.:cool2:
    Still learning lead guitar.

Playing bass has definitely given me a solid foundation for my rythm playing!

Thing I noticed when starting lead playing was the need for my middle 2 fingers! I had very little strength or coordination in my ring finger from years of using the pinky on bass.:eek2:

That was different.:eek2:

I started with a lot of barre chords and 'cowboy chords' and worked on variations from there.

Of course any little dittys or runs you used to do on bass translate nicely over to the guitar, until you get to those last 2 skinny strings! The ones that didn't used to be there! :mad2:

And they are tuned different! :mad2:

7. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

How to setup a guitar the right way, because there is nothing that hinders your learning more than a guitar that is hard to play and isn't intonated right.

8. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

I force myself to use my pinky when I practice, but I'm honestly considering dropping it from any lead work. My pinky is disproportionally short compared to my other fingers, so using my pinky tends to put my wrist and other fingers at odd angles.

notabot likes this.
  9. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Member

My lefthand technique is pretty solid, I've always used 4 fingers for a pentatonic scale so that wasn't difficult. Where I do struggle is with partially barred chords. I'm not used to have my fingers on top of each other. I'm very used to having my fingers right on the fret(which you don't to do on guitar?), I play bass with a very low action and a light touch.

10. notabot

notabot Junior Member

OR....

A pinky doesn't have to be used in any way, shape or form to play a smoking hot lead...

kiko likes this.
  11. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

I wish I knew that "anchoring" my left hand with a pinky touching the pickguard or top of the guitar would become a hard habit to break.

I wish I knew to really study vibrato earlier in my learning to play guitar

I wish I knew who was worth listening to, and who wasn't, as far as helping my journey as a player

I wish I learned cool Jazz chords (I guess there's still time)

I wish I learned earlier that bigger necks and bigger frets are actually easier to play

I wish I didn't spend so much damn time trying to play like Stevie Ray Vaughan and BB King and open my eyes to other players, earlier

I wish someone handed me The Allman Brothers, Live at the Filmore and said, "here, study this"

I wish I knew which gear was worth buying and which was just momentary GAS

I wish I knew to buy a shitload of Norlin era Gibsons and 70's Fenders because they would be worth a lot now

I wish I knew not to sell my BC Rich Koa Eagle Supreme because it would be worth a friggin' fortune now.

12. Direwolf

Direwolf Junior Member

Hmmm...fast does not equal good, learn rhythm before lead and play what you like not what others tell you to.

DarrellV and notabot like this.
  13. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

I wish I'd started with a real teacher from the outset instead of having years of self-teaching (and, consequently, years of bad habits to break). I also wish I'd known that, no matter how much I may improve, I will always think of myself as a guitarist who sucks, so shouldn't worry, but just relax and enjoy the ride instead...

14. Slick

Slick Senior Member

The singer gets most of the girls

BBD, Duane_the_tub and C_Becker like this.
  15. paradice

paradice Senior Member

Reckon the most fundamental thing is to get good technique as it’ll make everything easier/ more enjoyable
    try to have any movement from the biggest muscle/joint ... like when fretting use the big knuckle to push down on the string (or pluck with picking hand)....for barre chords use your shoulders to pull back and put pressure on the strings.

There’s lots of classical guitar books/lessons with proper technique about but more recently I’ve seen some good lessons on the mechanics of picking... this guy is good,and makes a good point in this vid if you're interested in playing faster stuff

Troy Grady is good too.

Oh and dont underestimate how long it can take .....1000s of hours to get to just 'good' levels. No exceptions...all the 'amazing' players just practice more!

Stoli likes this.
  16. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Member

I watched the video, turns out I don't really have a problem picking "fast". However I'm still unsure if I'm holding the pic properly. Should the tip of index finger be facing the tip or should the nail of the finger be facing the tip. They both feel equally comfortable. Perhaps there is no right or wrong way... I don't know...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. paradice

paradice Senior Member

def no right or wrong unless it's extreme and limiting in some way...depends on what's best for you.... Size of your thumb vs index etc wil change from person to person

suppose a test could be trying somehthing that's challenging then see what way seems easier....also, there's nothing to say it can't be a mixture, I def don't hold my pick the same way all the time, just depends. Like... you wouldn't drive in the wet the same as you would on a sunny day....

18. bungle

bungle Senior Member

I wish I knew to buy a burst at 1977 prices.

Nard, Barnaby and jeff_farkas like this.
  19. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

This may not be an issue because you already play bass, but one of the best pieces of advice I received from my first guitar teacher was simply to relax. My neck and jaw, especially, would be super tight when I was trying to learn a new song or riff, and it would add to my frustration when I screwed up. Also made me fatigued quicker.

DarrellV, MooCheng and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  20. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

1) That any note in a chord is an acceptable note to use in a solo over that chord.
    2) That playing from a scale or other set of notes does not automatically mean it sounds good. Music is a language and the notes are the alphabet. You still need to learn the vocabulary.
    3) It's not uncommon that a single scale will NOT work over a chord progression.
    4) Learn the notes of the fret board ASAP.

504steve, DarrellV, Dilver and 2 others like this.