There is No Longer a Real Job known as LUTHIER

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by steve2, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Senior Member

Amen

2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Question to the luthiers here: How many of you have apprentices or students?

3. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Senior Member

I think I'm pretty typical, at least for the Worst Coast and SW, easily 20+ apprentices over 38 years, some stay for 3 to 5 years as an employee / co-worker, some leave and start their own shops/business, or go to work for larger businesses. Over the years I've lost 3 to Fender's Custom Shop up in Corona, 1 to Rickenbacker and 2 to G&L, 1 to Guitar Center's vintage store operation in Hollywood. All of these are within 35 miles of me except GC Hollywood up in LA, so that is unusual compared to other parts of the country.

kensh999 and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Good to hear, bud. I think handing I down is handing it on.

5. Angrycolon

Angrycolon Junior Member

Some one poked fun on how long I had been a member and have so few post. This is the reason right here. Steve2 just posted his opinion. Right or wrong, it is just an opinion. I don't agree with him, but I didn't see it as trolling. Some stated their opposition well without being a dick. Every brain fires differently. My son is a high functioning autistic and tries to fit in but lacks social skills, constantly saying the wrong thing. He's brutally honest though and it gets him shredded online. Steve2 did not say anything derogatory about anyone here specifically . Yet so many have to attack him personally. The thread is very long now so nobody will read this anyway. I'll just go back to actually "playing" my guitar and leave the BS. Damn!

Bad Juju likes this.
  6. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

He did not say it was his opinion. He stated most of what he said as fact. Is calling one a troll attacking him personally? A troll is someone who makes remarks to purposefully anger or elicit a response from others. I believe this is exactly what Steve2 was doing. We are used to a certain amount of courtesy here. There are a number of people here that would be considered Luthiers. Some are part-time and some are full-time. A lot of his statements were completely false, and very obviously so. I doubt someone coming to the "Luthier's Corner" and say Luthiers will not exist in any uncertain terms would not be considered trolling. It would be a different story if he came here and asked Luthiers their opinion regarding that statement, but that is not the way it played out.

Regards Peter.

7. Angrycolon

Angrycolon Junior Member

Just a suggestion here. Maybe if you guys didn't promote the post in a mass email this thread would have been ignored. I'm only here because the subject came up in my private inbox. You used the guys post to direct traffic to your forum and then chastise the chap by calling his opinions crap. If that ain't messed up, then I don't know what is!

Attached Files:

8. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Do you think this was a person that looks at certain posts and then sends out these notifications? I doubt that is the case. It probably has something to do with the number of posts /day in a certain thread that sends an automatic link to the "trending" page. I only say this as it seems to be common sense to me. Do you think this to be the possible case???? I'm a pretty cynical person by nature and that didn't even cross my mind. I didn't even notice that trending e-mail either. I don't think it was as conscious as you may think.

I also read that there was a history for this particular user, that may have come into consideration for the banning.

Regards Peter.

Angrycolon likes this.
  9. Angrycolon

Angrycolon Junior Member

I guess he could be interpreted that way. Again, I refer only to personal experience with my own son. Steve2 wasn't very tactful at all. I breezed right over him. I guess I'm not as easily annoyed or offended. Merry Christmas and take care!

10. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Yes - it is very hard to determine one's intent from this type of communication. Sarcasm, humour, and if someone is being serious is very hard to determine. I've been banned for what I would have considered a misunderstanding that escalated. I have adjusted my usual "in-person" communication style.

Happy Holidays to you as well.

Regards Peter.

Angrycolon likes this.
  11. Angrycolon

Angrycolon Junior Member

You are right, I don't know the details. This just hit a little close to home for me. And threads with the most posts do get promoted through programming, I imagine. But it did appear the "Bat Signal" went up to bring us all here to watch the guy get banned. But hey, I finally got some posts in! lol Cheers PS Sweet guitar in that profile pic!

pshupe likes this.
  12. LtDave32

LtDave32 Desert Star Guitars Super Mod Premium Member MLP Vendor

Assumptions.

We did not promote the post in a "mass email". Email notifications are something the individual member chooses regarding certain threads.

So are thread and post notifications about updates and new posts here. YOUR control, not ours.

As well, we received complaint after complaint after complaint on this guy. Private consultation didn't work. So the next step is public.

rockstar232007 and pshupe like this.
  13. paulmarr

paulmarr Senior Member

Hi Dave

I also received a "regular" email from the forum with highlighted threads for every board on here and this one appeared for Luthiers Corner ... and it's not something I signed up for specifically so I can see how some may have thought it was a consciencely written promotion rather than a computer generated subscription monthly update. It was unfortunate that it selected this thread....

mux164 likes this.
  14. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

Is that so?
    (A British person)

15. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

Anyone else think that mods should lock this thread? Guy was banned for blatant shit stirring and anymore conversation on the matter is achieving what op wanted.

Merry Christmas everybody, and a happy new year!

16. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

His whole posting history is full of attacks and negative posts. He’s just getting called out on it. Hit his profile and have a quick read and you’ll understand the reactions here to more of his BS.

Anyway, my little guy just woke up, which means we’re off to Grandma’s to see what Santa brought. Have a great day!

17. FKO

FKO Senior Member

Kindly elaborate educated. Unless the 58 was modded or you are accustomed to vintage fenders; they are not the friendliest to bond with.

18. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

Guitar Center. Lol

jdto likes this.
  19. Nippon

Nippon You looking at me? Premium Member

I predict within 15 years there will be no more prostitutes.

Donal and w666 like this.
  20. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

You damn you!
    :mad:

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.