There is No Longer a Real Job known as LUTHIER

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by steve2, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

This is your one warning, Dave ;-)

Well, we all get to amicably disagree about matters of personal taste. I know some people here dont like Strats, but I love em.

That ain't why Steve2 was here, though. Thanks for taking care of that chump, Dave

2. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

first instinct was to completely ignore this thread but it kept coming back,

sometimes its best to ignore some folks behaviour

Skyjerk and Who like this.
  3. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

Listen you.

You'll build a Tele and like it.

-And you're welcome.

You ought to see what he did in another thread outside this corner. LOL..

4. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

But, he was a Scott Grove disciple and all.

5. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Senior Member

Wow. That guy was nutbags. His newer guitar was better than a '59 LP by A MILE and 2 out of the 3 reasons why were based on looks :slap:

I think of @Freddy G 's recent LP builds. There isn't a mass produced guitar on the planet that could touch that kind of quality and people (with money) are more than willing to pay for quality.

I have no idea but I hope those were over $5K. Gibson gets more for doing less.
    Good luthiers aren't going anywhere.

WhiteEpiLP and LtDave32 like this.
  6. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Senior Member

Also, I own and really like an Epiphone ES-339. Amazing value for $399 with top and bottom binding, fretboard binding, carved (well, molded/steamed whatever) top AND back...

BUT, in overall build quality and material quality and finish quality, it doesn't touch any Gibson semihollow that I've played.

Sometimes things cost more for a reason.

LtDave32 likes this.
  7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Weren't there a couple of them he resurrected??? Something about a vintage LP and another about Squiers......there was nothing but troll with that guy. And the gist of it was the same in every thread he was in.

LtDave32 likes this.
  8. lowatter

lowatter Senior Member

You can't FIX stupid...but you CAN ban it! Just saying. He's probably jealous that he can't come up with the scratch to own a high quality or valued guitar. I can't either but I won't become a troll because of it.

LtDave32 likes this.
  9. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

Well- saw this one coming. Cheers for taking out the trash Dave.

LtDave32 likes this.
  10. Lefty Elmo

Lefty Elmo Senior Member

Bernie Lehmann, in Rochester, NY is the most talented guy I know, period! He has been a true luthier, not only building THE most beautiful lutes imaginable, but guitars of all description, even gypsy style guitars. He has helped me many times with crazy projects, including covering the top of a 1977 Les Paul Deluxe with a curly maple veneer. (this was back in 1983) I tried to get a link, but can't seem to get it, so I'll try later.

11. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

But Lefty, this Bernie you speak of can't exist. This thread title tells me so, the Internet has never lied to me.:laugh2:

12. coxster

coxster Junior Member

There are great luthiers out there, but you have to be willing to PAY for their quality and level of service. I have a Moll flattop 'economy' prototype that was worth the $3500, and my two Conklin basses were worth the $3k back in the mid 1990s. I've built a dozen instruments from scratch, and another dozen from parts, so I know what it takes to make it happen. I respect the willingness and passion of a true luthier, and the customer that doesn't want to play an epiphone or a slab bodied partscaster

What irritates me the most about this thread is that the idiot in charge of the weekly email sent this thread out. Said email will be marked spam, and I'll stick with the real LES PAUL FORUM from now on.

w666 likes this.
  13. w666

w666 Senior Member

ditto

"What irritates me the most about this thread is that the idiot in charge of the weekly email sent this thread out."

14. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

There's a difference between a luthier and the task-oriented bunch of minions who mass manufacture solid body guitars.

Tom Prisloe up in Trumansberg, NY, makes classical guitars for concert guitarists to order and by hand, including every step along the way. He can tune the guitars by selecting tops with specific grain qualities and then varying the thickness of the top in specific areas to change the response of the instrument. There's no CNC machinery in the converted garage and store room where he makes them, and his limited production (probably 12-15 per year), effusive clientele and lengthy waiting list make him a lot different from a company who cranks out thousands of formulaic chunks of wood like Gibson. He's a luthier and knows far more about guitars and how to make them sound the way HE needs them to than any hundred Gibson employees.

The tech who changes the action height on your guitar is no luthier. Nor is the guy who bolts a tele neck onto a random tele body and then waterslides his name onto the headstock. The use of the noun "Luthier" has extended, comically, to a wide variety of folks who poke and prod at guitars, but most don't qualify in my book.

Bill Hicklin and RedSkwirrell like this.
  15. SoK66

SoK66 Junior Member

As an old idiot who keeps the unbridled stupidity alive and kicking, I congratulate you on your courage. However, a wise man once siad "There's a fine line between courage and folly." Popcorn is almost ready....

16. SoK66

SoK66 Junior Member

Y'know, you can go into an antique store and pay $10,000 for a fine, handcrafted piece of furniture. You can also go into Walmart and buy essentially the same thing for $75 that's arguably more serviceable. You decide.

17. videorov

videorov Junior Member

The forum should Banned this guy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and his talk.....

18. RedSkwirrell

RedSkwirrell Senior Member

The luthiers I have working on my guitars beg to humbly disagree with the OP.
    I work on most myself but I cannot seem to get it right on Gibby's so they do them for me.
    Pleasure to watch them and get the results back.
    'Course, this is Just Britain and obviously we don't know that much about it (or anything).
    Appreciate the laugh, thanks.
    :D

19. jbutler

jbutler Senior Member

NOW I remember why I took a break from online communities.

w666 likes this.
  20. penguinchit

penguinchit Senior Member

Kits or from scratch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.