There is No Longer a Real Job known as LUTHIER

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by steve2, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Well, maybe I better pinch myself to make sure I'm real!
    I can refute just about all of your points. I live in a small town (pop. 17, 500) yet I have a backlog of work. And I have clients from all over the planet. I make a very comfortable living and own a house in an affluent neighbourhood with my mortgage paid off. I'm doing fine, thank you! Yes I build guitars, but the lion's share of income is from repairs, set-ups, fretwork and restorations. What? You think people just throw their instruments away and get new ones when they need service?
    Oh, and here's that pic you requested:

Tim And Fred.JPG

2. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

I wondered when Freddy was going to come in and drop a nuclear bomb on this dickhead's argument!:rofl::lol::lol:

3. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

*Mod Note*

Steve2, quit the trolling and learn to get along with people.

This sub-forum has a history of people getting along with one another. A brotherhood of people helping each other out. You're not going to come in here and tear it up with troll posts and crap opinions.

This is your one notification.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  4. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

AND, BOOM goes the dynamite!:applause:

jdto likes this.
  5. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Since most of us do this for the pleasure of building instruments and no other reason, and the folks that do it for a living are content to do so, and there is most definitely still a market for custom made instruments, you're really just making background noise :)

I'm all about people being happy though, so I hope you've managed to gain a little bit of happiness stirring this pot. :)

JMT Guitars and jdto like this.
  6. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

I bet @steve2 doesn't even play the guitar. He's probably a flautist whose girlfriend dumped him for a guitarist (or worse, a luthier) and now he's bitter.

There are people that make their livings from carving wooden spoons, so I wouldn't worry about those crazy mainstream luthiers just yet. Just because you might not be able to make a living at it doesn't mean that someone else can't. People have been claiming the death of just about every industry since the dawn of technology. We haven't really doomed too many occupations in the last several hundred years; people still want stuff and services.

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

The idea that price differentials cannot represent quality differentials is silly -- better woods and harnesses cost more money, and a custom-built guitar with the personal attention to detail and QC will cost money on the labor end, too. Mass-produced guitars can and do have QC issues, some more than others ... but a craftsman who takes pride in his work will have the drive to go a couple of steps further. That time, of course, costs money.

(If I had the dough, I'd spring for one of Freddy's Hentor Sportscasters in a New York minute, too.)

LPG and northernguitarguy like this.
  8. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Sorry Pal - I'll have to call BS on most, if not all, of your post. Mass produced guitars today ARE inferior, especially the ones around, and under, that $500 mark. Not sure how you think those mass produced guitars with little quality control, substandard wood, and dodgy construction methods could possibly be as good as ones made to a higher standard with much better materials and methods. Mass production makes more product and more profit. We live in a Walmart world where the vast majority of people want to spend the least amount of money possible and are apparently happy to purchase CRAP! Frankly I think there are more and more luthiers to keep repairing this CRAP and service the people who don't mind spending a bit, quite a bit, more money to get a much better product.

Regards Peter.

dickjonesify likes this.
  9. valvetoneman

valvetoneman Senior Member

I haven't even read the replys but honestly the op talks such horse shit and clearly knows fuck all about good guitars let alone vintage ones

The reason why people ask luthiers/builders/makers of guitars is so they get something you either can't buy or because the workmanship and quality is better than mass produced

Good vintage guitar tone feel and playability is the benchmark for me and something I strive to achieve

I move into a new workshop in December and have enough scratch build work to get me through best part of 2 years, so I'll need another job after that lol

Can't wait till gibson goes completely down the toilet, lots more work for all good builders

JMT Guitars likes this.
  10. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Our sweep charges $100 per hour. My local luthier's bench charge is $60. Both are full time gigs.

WhiteEpiLP and JMT Guitars like this.
  11. JMT Guitars

I think it's time to let the thread die now, OP has been officially warned and we have deconstructed his argument down to a sub atomic level. Let's leave it at that. Besides, this shouldn't even BE in luthier's corner really. Has fuck all to do with any aspect of actually building or repair. Just vaguely related shit stirring.

Oldskoolrob and valvetoneman like this.
  12. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

I'll bite...

There may be a few, as there are crap expensive ones.

See above...

Unless you're telling us every '59 LP made was as good as Peter Greens one... lol

Which makes them special to some people... So what.

If this were true we'd all be buying $1000 guitars...

Made on a CNC doesn't guarantee better tone. Just accuracy...

There in-a-nutshell we have it. The binding on a guitar is where its all at tone wise. We're all delusional...

Thumpalumpacus and JMT Guitars like this.
  13. JMT Guitars

So what are peoples opinions on tone-binding? Do we have any species preferences? Mine's honduran tone-binding. Of course all of the old tone-binding Gibson used to use are officially endangered now and some are extinct- but there are substitute species that are readily available.

14. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

LOL the new techniques on the ES-339, which has been around since 2007 when they used those "old techniques". :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

dickjonesify, Bill Hicklin and smk506 like this.
  15. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Man.....all we need to do is keep this guy posting. He self destructs more and more the further he goes on.

Mind the rabid foam

jdto likes this.
  16. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I'll say this: every Gibby 339 I've played had railroad-tracks for frets. It was like driving over speedbumps.

jdto likes this.
  17. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

Its very important that it goes around the edge. Where its stops the tone from escaping the body. The notes say so oh f**k it, and head for the bridge posts...

Barnaby, Thumpalumpacus and mux164 like this.
  18. charisjapan

charisjapan Silver Supporter

Just woke up to this fun thread, and (before coffee) thought “The Jilted Flautists” sounds like a great name for a rock&roll band. Or maybe a pet name for @a2k’s 6-string piccolo bass. :)

:cheers2:

KnightroExpress likes this.
  19. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Puts my high school band name to shame

20. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

As a former professional flautist who stole at least two girlfriends from guitarists back in the day, I have to point out that it's not the size of the instrument...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.