The "What Is Vintage?" Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by FrankiePRS, Jun 15, 2007.

1. FrankiePRS

FrankiePRS V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Beat me to it. Good catch Tom.

2. 95jplp

95jplp Member

I stand corrected, gentlemen. Thanks.

3. WordMan

WordMan Junior Member

I suspect the issue is the expanded use of "vintage" - the term that should really be used is "collectible" - and the answer as to "what is collectible" is "whatever folks are willing to pay a premium for"

- Limited Edition replicas, such as the new EVH Frankenstein, Blackie, JP LP's, etc. are well under 25 years old, but folks are buying them thinking they will go up in value pretty quickly.

- guitars like U.S.-made Reverends are starting to appreciate already...

70's Gibbies and Fenders may or may not be vintage - but it is clear that people are paying more for them, so their collectibility is an active question - should they be collectible? If so - why?? Lots of folks who were alive back them recall that many of them had quality issues and can't understand why they would command a collectibility premium. So we are kinda left with a hypothesis - "well, those guitars suck, so they must be collectible because they are vintage" - which leaves folks asking the question "okay, then - what is vintage; and more importantly, should a guitar be accorded more value based on age along?"

So, I think the question "what is vintage" is a sideways attempt to understand the real question - "why are older guitars - that many of us first-hand know are dogs - going up in value?" And I think that it is because:
    1) the first wave of electrics are priced way too high these days
    2) there are examples of these 70's guitars that are, in fact, pretty good if not great
    3) if enough heat is generated about any item that is limited in number, it will go up in value - gotta love the internet as a hype generator...woulda happened if the web wasn't around, but it accelerates the process...

My $.02

Oh, and since my parents are antique dealers, I thought I would offer the fact that pre-web, "antique" was considered at least 100 years old, and "vintage" was between about 25 and 99 years old, as a rule of thumb...but those definitions have no doubt evolved with the advent of the internet...